Why are you sad? You'll see them again in paradise right?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
07-04-2014, 04:54 PM
RE: Why are you sad? You'll see them again in paradise right?
(07-04-2014 03:43 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 01:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was talking about my dad to someone recently and explained that he died 6 years ago and she corrected me by saying that he "passed on" and I explained to her that, no, he didn't pass on- he "died". We are so unaccustomed to death in modern society that no one is allowed to die, they merely pass on. Lets call a spade a spade. My dad is dead because he died. I loved him, he was a wonderful guy but the man is dead and I miss him because he's dead and I will never see him again. It's as simple as that.
I think that it was very rude and insensitive of that person to correct your terminology while sharing your personal loss. Angry
My dad was killed when I was 17. At the time, I was still a Christian with the obligatory beliefs. I thought that when I would have a dream about him that he was actually visiting me from the other side. I know now that that was mere wishful thinking. His life was taken, he died. And just like you, I miss him, he's dead, end of story.
Clinging to millennia-old superstition may give people comfort from reality in the same way that living in a drug-induced haze gives comfort from reality.

I don't know that she was being rude on purpose, it's just that an afterlife is the way people were taught to think about death, that they pass on to another place. Passing on is a kinder way of saying someone died but with a little something to cushion the blow.

But I think an afterlife takes the life out of what living is. Life becomes not all too special when there is some sort of heaven at the end of it. Religious people don't live in the moment, they live in some sort of future fairy land place. Incredibally sad, I think.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post