Why are you still Catholic?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Why are you still Catholic?
I recently found the video below, and I'm so excited. I've been saying this all along, and it sparked one of my first breaks with my previous religious identity. Why would people identify with a religion they disagree with? Why would they say they subscribe to this one set of ideas as absolute truth (which is what they say when they identify with that religion), but then say they disagree?

It's stupid. Plain and simple. I want to hear your thoughts on it, and to share this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dblERAfS1HI
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2015, 12:17 PM
RE: Why are you still Catholic?
Never mind.
06-11-2015, 02:03 PM
regarding Catholicism, is there anything in it that isn't a sin ?
06-11-2015, 02:36 PM
I have been in and out of the Catholic Church throughout my life. Most recently, I went back in for a few years to make my dad happy in his final years (after my mother died, he considered it his mission in life to bring his three sons back to the Church).

People remain nominal Catholics for many reasons, including some that were covered in the video. Often the Church functions as a sort of social club, or as a way to keep the peace between husband and wife. After my father died, there was no longer any reason for me to pretend to be a Catholic, so I stopped going to Church.

None of this is unique to Catholics, though. I'm sure every religious group has nonbelievers who go through the motions for various reasons. Same with political parties. I vote Democrat, but I do not agree with every single plank of their party platform.