Why are you such a [rabid, militant, egotistical] athist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Why are you such a [rabid, militant, egotistical] athist?
I've been an atheist and anti-theist for about 5 years. I post atheist fodder on Facebook that challenges apologist thinking on an almost daily basis.

Today in my inbox, one of my college professors wrote this:

"Dear, I love you, but must you be such a rabid atheist? The Christian Right bugs me as much as it does you, I promise, but not all religious followers and organizations are without intelligence or merit. For example, check out this page: @The Christian Left. I don't care that you are an atheist--most of my good friends are--I just resent being painted with a broad brush."

I know how I'd like to reply, but I need help from TTA community in fully answering this question, as it seems I'm asked this about once a month from either a family member or friend. I want to make sure I cover all my bases when I answer.

Thank you for any input!

-Seth Riddle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2013, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2013 05:51 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Why are you such a [rabid, militant, egotistical] athist?
When religionists are rabid it's called "evangelization" and "spreading the *good news*", and "on fire for Jebus".
When atheists do it, it's called "militant atheism". Dodgy

In person, I tend to be very easy going, and am known as a joker/prankster.
But in print, when it comes to historical and religious fallacies, I brook no crap. I prolly come off, in print, much more "militant" than I am in person.
Good manners are the way to go. Debates are fine, in the right circumstances. Actually "debates" are worthless. It's not a way to get at "the truth".
Calm quiet discussions are much more productive, IMHO. If someone's being publicly "rabid" I go the other direction, no matter what the subject it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-05-2013, 10:04 AM
lulz

Athist

More lulz

But yeah, what Bucky said.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Im not militant on my FB, I might make a comment time to time or 'like' something but that's it. I equate posting stuff everyday the same as evangels when it's my personal FB. Not that you asked Tongue

Anyway, if you want to keep doin' what you're doin', you can let him know he can unsubscribe if you're too much for him. He's obviously getting your messages, he just isn't accepting them. Doubt anything you say would change that right now. I found his measage to you generally respectful.
[+] 4 users Like LadyJane's post
24-05-2013, 10:23 AM
BTW, you can edit your title, and spell "atheist" correctly, (I think), or ask a mod to do it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Exactly what LadyJane said...

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

24-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Rabid? Militant? You mean like when people try to write their own BS morality into legislation for the rest of us? It's just Facebook, right? Maybe your professor doesn't know how to unsubscribe on Facebook.

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
[+] 2 users Like cbb2274's post
24-05-2013, 01:11 PM
"Dear, I love you, ..." from your professor? Blink Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
24-05-2013, 01:13 PM
(24-05-2013 01:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  "Dear, I love you, ..." from your professor? Blink Consider

Is there more to this story? Is this a professor and a scorned lover?

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
[+] 2 users Like cbb2274's post
24-05-2013, 01:18 PM
my reply would be simply "Thank you for your opinion, however if you don't like my opinions feel free to unfriend me"

Wisdom from my eldest "Life's short... Get stoned!"
[Image: tumblr_m988n0gSY21r984nlo1_500.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes AlaskaMom's post