Why are you such a [rabid, militant, egotistical] athist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2013, 01:22 PM
RE: Why are you such a [rabid, militant, egotistical] athist?
(24-05-2013 01:18 PM)AlaskaMom Wrote:  my reply would be simply "Thank you for your opinion, however if you don't like my opinions feel free to unfriend me"

I wouldn't start there. We don't know this professor or if grades are at stake. This professor might even be the OP's advisor.

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cbb2274's post
24-05-2013, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2013 02:05 PM by cbb2274.)
"For example, check out this page: @The Christian Left. I don't care that you are an atheist--most of my good friends are--I just resent being painted with a broad brush."

What's your professor talking about, exactly? Do we know that this person really doesn't mind that you're an atheist? Maybe they don't mind as long as you're quiet about it. Maybe there's a different issue here. Could you show us some things you've posted that might have set them off?

What's your professor's department, by the way? Political Science? Philosophy/Religion?

"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
24-05-2013, 03:38 PM
(24-05-2013 01:22 PM)cbb2274 Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 01:18 PM)AlaskaMom Wrote:  my reply would be simply "Thank you for your opinion, however if you don't like my opinions feel free to unfriend me"

I wouldn't start there. We don't know this professor or if grades are at stake. This professor might even be the OP's advisor.

This is true....

Wisdom from my eldest "Life's short... Get stoned!"
[Image: tumblr_m988n0gSY21r984nlo1_500.jpg]
24-05-2013, 11:53 PM
My wife was put into a situation like this (living in South Carolina takes it's toll). In her Polysci class she voiced her opinion on a bill in Georgia called the Personhood amendment, it's basically an anti-abortion bills that takes away womens rights as soon as they conceive and the doctors have total control over their patients. She basically said she was against it....saying that even though she would never abort a child, she respect other womens right to be able to choose for themselves. She was harassed by her teacher constantly after that and always asked to give the "Satanic Atheist" viewpoint on all their debates, regardless if it involved religion.

She filed a complaint, but was told since she had no proof they couldn't do anything about it....well my wife takes her laptop to classes...she set her webcam on, and turned on FRAPS...recorded the entire class debate on gay marraige, in which she was told to shut up and just listen because her opinion was "violent" (all she was saying that if Gays shouldn't be allowed to marry then neither should Muslims, or Jews...since its against christian beliefs). The teacher has since been suspended without pay.

I hope for your sake that your situation will never devolve into something as base as this. But if it does, keep all the email correspondence for evidence, and always have a cell phone on hand in case you need to record events as they unfold.

To answer your question on how to respond, be polite, but forceful. I agree with what other posters have said, if she doesn't like it, she can unfriend you. It's YOUR facebook page, not hers.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
[+] 1 user Likes Likos02's post
25-05-2013, 01:32 AM
My response:

"While I can understand and respect your personal views regarding my actions, you must understand that what you are likening to 'rabes' is merely a deeply held passion. A passion for truth and for the calling out of nonsense of any sort - be it religious or otherwise. I certainly don't intend to be rude or offensive, but I do intend to be expressive. I intend for my views to be heard just as loud as anyone elses'. I intend to stir the intellectual pot and get people thinking. To raise the consciousness of anyone who may happen to be listening.

Very often, christians - both moderate and devout alike - post their almost vitriolic and even rather condescending views for everyone to see. And many accept this without question, because these people are expressing their religious freedom. Why is it, then, that when I express views which are the equal opposite of theirs, I am asked to simmer down? That I'm told I'm being militant or, as you so eloquently put it, 'rabid'? I am merely expressing my views as I see fit. If others find it offensive or unpleasant - while that is not my intention - so be it. It only means that I am doing what I intend to do; which is stir the depths of intellectual stagnation and increase the flow within the stream of ideas.

Such is my right as a freely-thinking, rational-minded human being. I apologize if you are offended, truly, but that in itself is not just cause for me to stop."

As I typed, I realized that no, that wouldn't be my exact response, because I have no problem being vitriolic and I have no problem being "militant". I despise irrationality and will, in fact, attack it with all the tenacity of a "rabid" dog. (So long as the circumstances of a given situation can accept such vehemence, that is. I can be polite, too. Blush ) However, assuming (blindly) that I know OP's personality type, I typed this from their perspective. But still, with my personal "militant" ideals aside, I believe fully in everything that I wrote.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Misanthropik's post
25-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Thumbs Down RE: Why are you such a [rabid, militant, egotistical] athist?
(25-05-2013 01:32 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  My response:

"While I can understand and respect your personal views regarding my actions, you must understand that what you are likening to 'rabes' is merely a deeply held passion. A passion for truth and for the calling out of nonsense of any sort - be it religious or otherwise. I certainly don't intend to be rude or offensive, but I do intend to be expressive. I intend for my views to be heard just as loud as anyone elses'. I intend to stir the intellectual pot and get people thinking. To raise the consciousness of anyone who may happen to be listening.

Very often, christians - both moderate and devout alike - post their almost vitriolic and even rather condescending views for everyone to see. And many accept this without question, because these people are expressing their religious freedom. Why is it, then, that when I express views which are the equal opposite of theirs, I am asked to simmer down? That I'm told I'm being militant or, as you so eloquently put it, 'rabid'? I am merely expressing my views as I see fit. If others find it offensive or unpleasant - while that is not my intention - so be it. It only means that I am doing what I intend to do; which is stir the depths of intellectual stagnation and increase the flow within the stream of ideas.

Such is my right as a freely-thinking, rational-minded human being. I apologize if you are offended, truly, but that in itself is not just cause for me to stop."

As I typed, I realized that no, that wouldn't be my exact response, because I have no problem being vitriolic and I have no problem being "militant". I despise irrationality and will, in fact, attack it with all the tenacity of a "rabid" dog. (So long as the circumstances of a given situation can accept such vehemence, that is. I can be polite, too. Blush ) However, assuming (blindly) that I know OP's personality type, I typed this from their perspective. But still, with my personal "militant" ideals aside, I believe fully in everything that I wrote.

Now this guy right here: he gets it.

- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
25-05-2013, 09:48 PM
The Prof seems to be thinking your posts are hating on religious people, rather than problems with religion itself. Why, specifically, does he feel you're painting him with a broad brush (rather than pointing out problems with religion itself)?

If you're a "rabid atheist," tell him the problems you see with religion.

I don't think any atheist should apologize for being an atheist. It's not your fault it hurts his feelings or whatever.

If you are truly sick of dealing with people saying those things, consider a restricted friends list, so people on the restricted list can't see certain posts.

I also take issue with the word "rabid." It's a disease that effects the brain, animals don't act right and then they drop over dead. A rabid animal is irrational. I am guessing that you are not, and he is the one misrepresenting you as a rabid animal rather than a sane and rational person.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
28-05-2013, 01:32 AM

[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
01-06-2013, 06:35 AM
I have noticed a few times on my friend list that a person will pretty much post the same thing all day, everyday. It's like they have no other interests or anything else to discuss. one topic Johnny.

Part of me feels bad for unfriending those people. After all I added them to my friend list because I care about them. I care about their whole life.....not just that little bit they post over and over again.

Do you share your ups, downs, kids, family, job, what movie you saw last? Friends want to know you. All of you.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
03-06-2013, 04:49 PM
I know there's several personal stories I've heard from here that makes me horrified of the religious, but I think a glance at comments about gay rights (particularly on the Christian websites) leaves the biggest impression. Not for the people, but just how their religion justifies the hate.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.