Why aren't children treated like Adults?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2012, 05:31 PM
RE: Why aren't children treated like Adults?
(20-03-2012 05:23 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 05:21 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 05:12 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  People who have no self control shouldn't have children in the first place. I'm not going to fist children Leela. Seriously though, if you don't have self control don't have kids, there is a fine line between discipline and abuse.

See this is what makes us not take you seriously (apart from a whole bunch of other things). What's with the personal attacks? What this tells me is that a point has been scored against you and because you can't answer it you try to make the scorer angry, so that it somehow invalidates what they said.

Also Jesus Christ do you come across as arrogant.

The listing children part was supposed to be funny Sad perhaps I should reword it, I didn't mean it to be seen as an attack.

Sorry - I can be a bit trigger happy too. It's not the fisting that I had a problem with though, it's the "oh, then you're not self-controlled and shouldn't have kids. Oh *by the way* there is a fine line between discipline and abuse (like you haven't been telling me that for the last 20 pages)". Do you see how it comes across as arrogant? I think the major reason people blow up at you (and I do it all the time and you mustn't feel too bad because that's just how I react - quick temper) is that you utterly fail to recognize that other people's point of view may be valid. This is not a criticism, I'm just saying, this is *why* I will clash with you - because it's pretty damn clear that we differ on a lot of things.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2012, 05:54 PM
(20-03-2012 05:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  Sorry - I can be a bit trigger happy too. It's not the fisting that I had a problem with though, it's the "oh, then you're not self-controlled and shouldn't have kids. Oh *by the way* there is a fine line between discipline and abuse (like you haven't been telling me that for the last 20 pages)". Do you see how it comes across as arrogant? I think the major reason people blow up at you (and I do it all the time and you mustn't feel too bad because that's just how I react - quick temper) is that you utterly fail to recognize that other people's point of view may be valid. This is not a criticism, I'm just saying, this is *why* I will clash with you - because it's pretty damn clear that we differ on a lot of things.

You know we only started having this issue recently with the long lifespan of grandma and grandpa, becoming softies in their later years. Take my grandma and grandpa, spanked all of their nine children. Won't do a thing to their 36 grandchildren. Children turned out fine, grandchildren... not so much, older ones weren't so bad.

But the path of parentage has been the same for generation after generation, my father, my father's father, and his father before him, and his father before him, and his father before him, and his father before him up until the spanking method was invented! We were all spanked. And we grew up just fine. Now we have a thing which threatens our very way of life, and all because some people don't want to bear the responsibility of tanning hides.

If it didn't work why would people have been doing it for thousands of years?
20-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Same reason they follow religion....

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-03-2012, 06:35 PM
(20-03-2012 04:59 PM)Vipa Wrote:  @nach_in while I certainly like your writing way better than TAS's I still have to disagree. The magnitude of disobedience or stupid thing the kid does is irrelevant.

It's not only the magnitude of disobedience the kid does, is also the magnitude of his/her general misbehaviour, if a generally obedient and good child does something stupid I don't think he/she deserves a spank, but if it's everyday and everything the kid does is problematic then it may be necessary.
There are plenty of things to consider every time a parent should apply any kind of sanction to the kids, the same way a judge doesn't apply the highest penalty to a person without a record a parent should do to his kid. I don't see why is intrinsically wrong to give a kid a corporal punishment when the kid deserves it.
I mean it like it is the ultimate thing to do, the ultima ratio the last resource, but I can imagine scenarios in which it can be necessary, I'm talking about the far end of the bell curve here.

is it nice? of course not! but sometimes we have to do ugly things for a greater good, and I don't think a kid would be forever traumatized and damaged for the rest of his life because of a spanking. I understand where the prejudice against corporal punishment comes from, I experienced its consequences by first hand with my mom (her dad hit her to the brink of death more than once when she was a kid) and I loath that kind of abuse against kids. But I'm with TAS when he says that there's a fine line between discipline and abuse, sometimes kids can push their parents to that limit, is the responsibility of the parent not to cross the line.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
20-03-2012, 07:44 PM
I was never spanked, not even once.

I got "time out" at home twice that I can remember.

I have good manners, a good work ethic, I get along with all kinds of people, and I can't think of anything else people are trying to install in their kids by beating them.

It is true that people have been beating kids for centuries, just like they have been christian for centuries and the bible tells them to use the rod.

My parents didn't believe it, and gosh darn it, I turned out to be a functional, presentable human being.

For the life of me I can't see what would have been gained had I gotten beaten.... how would I have been a better person for it?

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
20-03-2012, 07:49 PM
(20-03-2012 07:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  I was never spanked, not even once.

I got "time out" at home twice that I can remember.

I have good manners, a good work ethic, I get along with all kinds of people, and I can't think of anything else people are trying to install in their kids by beating them.

It is true that people have been beating kids for centuries, just like they have been christian for centuries and the bible tells them to use the rod.

My parents didn't believe it, and gosh darn it, I turned out to be a functional, presentable human being.

For the life of me I can't see what would have been gained had I gotten beaten.... how would I have been a better person for it?

you imply every kid should be spanked, that's not the claim, so your argument is invalid

(always wanted to say that in an appropriate way) Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
20-03-2012, 07:59 PM
I claim that beating children is an old barbaric custom ingrained along with religion, which is likely it's origin.

I see no purpose except adults venting their anger and feeling self righteous.

Like a lot of dysfunctional behavior, it gets passed down generation after generation after generation, and everyone says they are right and it didn't kill them and they turned out all right.

Pfffft! I say you would have turned out better without all that grief in your childhood.

Neither one of us can prove it now, can we. We can't roll back time and start you over again without beatings.

All we can both do is sit here and say "I turned out ok".

But I likely had a less troubled upbringing than you. Less frustration, less anger, less pouting, less crying. And, I think, consequently less acting out.

Sure makes me think I got the better deal....

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
20-03-2012, 08:18 PM
(20-03-2012 05:23 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  Mother nature doesn't discriminate, why should we?

What? Really, I do not understand that question in this context at all.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
20-03-2012, 09:43 PM
(20-03-2012 08:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 05:23 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  Mother nature doesn't discriminate, why should we?

What? Really, I do not understand that question in this context at all.

When putting lives to the test Nature doesn't care for their age, why should we then discriminate based on age? Should their lives then not be put to the test as we would test men? So that when mother nature tests them they would be more ready for her fury.

Most humans tend to forget they hold no power over nature, I am not among them.
21-03-2012, 02:25 AM
(20-03-2012 05:12 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  People who have no self control shouldn't have children in the first place. I'm not going to fist children Leela. Seriously though, if people don't have self control they shouldn't have kids, there is a fine line between discipline and abuse.
What should and shouldn't doesn't matter, people do get kids and many of them start out with just a little spank and end up feeding their kids hot chillie sauce when they get nasty, hit them so hard that they keep bruises, put them into a cold shower, etc...

Anyway, it does not have anything to do with treating them as adults which is, just saying, the name of the thread.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user