Why aren't more atheists vegan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Why aren't more atheists vegan?
I'm an atheist vegan and I'm also a medical student. The way I see it is that YES animals/animal products contain nutrients that humans need to function properly (primarily vitamin b12, which is not commonly found in plants), so our consumption of other animals is understandable in that sense--BUT we also have access to (vitamin) supplements that make the consumption of animals/animal products UNNECESSARY. So, why would any person willfully and knowingly advocate for the suffering, torture, and death of another living being when it isn't necessary for our physiology to function properly due to the availability of supplementation?--and in fact provides us with better health benefits without the increased risks of things like heart disease and other issues associated with animal/animal product ingestion (etc.)? I think it's morally incorrect to make another living being suffer and die unnecessarily for the fleeting experience of tasting its flesh.

It's not like god 'put them here' for us to mistreat or lord over--they're just another species that shares our planet and I don't think we have the right to abuse them anymore than we have to right to abuse a member of our own species. Pain is pain, fear is fear, suffering is suffering. I wish more people, and in particular free thinkers, would see the logic behind this moral stance--not that it wouldn't be great if religious people decided to stop eating animals/animal products too. Does this make sense to you guys? Correct me if my stance is flawed, please, but I sincerely think that's the best stance on this issue.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes rosieisaposie's post
03-03-2016, 10:06 AM
RE: Why aren't more atheists vegan?
Plants are alive. They arent like you and me of course, but abuse is abuse, another creature that shares the planet with us and everything has the right to be alive. Right?
[+] 7 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
03-03-2016, 10:07 AM
Bacon

Cheeseburgers

A nice, rare steak

Lasagna

A scrambled egg with bacon bits mixed in, on a flour tortilla topped with cheddar cheese

Breakfast sausage

Ice cream

Slow-cooked, shredded pork

Deep fried turkey with jack-daniels dipping sauce

(Ok, I'm drooling....)

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 7 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
03-03-2016, 10:09 AM
(03-03-2016 10:02 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  I think it's morally incorrect to make another living being suffer and die unnecessarily for the fleeting experience of tasting its flesh.

I agree on the suffering and am all for more humane treatment of animals.

IMO you have a much better chance of actually helping the animals if you put your efforts there, because you are unlikely to stop beings who evolved as omnivores to stop eating in that fashion.

It is however entirely possible to effect changes in the laws that govern the treatment of animals. Perhaps you should at least start there.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
03-03-2016, 10:16 AM
I.. am kind of unsure as to how to reply.

While, yes, we hominids can use our technology to make all the things we need for our diets to work without resorting to eating 'Others'. I must admit to,

A) Not knowing the additional costs involved in the actual manufacture of said supplements. After all, this 'other' vitamin B etc has to come from somewhere, right?

B) I'm not sure we can artificially make ALL the various essential things we need in our food.

C) What psychological things are there to eating? What parts of the inner mind want to eat/taste various other things?

D) What do we do with the thousands of years of animal husbandry now sitting out the in the fields and barns IF we stop partaking of them?

We're omnivores. We eat LOTS of different things. To want to very suddenly change that? Surely a much longer term approach is needed given how biological systems adapt?

Just some rambling thoughts at four in the morning...
03-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Cause most atheist like meat and preachiness isn't seen as good argument against eating it?

There is no reason for which atheist should be a vegan. You could claim that eating meat is morally wrong but that's only your opinion, nothing more.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
03-03-2016, 10:17 AM
(03-03-2016 10:09 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 10:02 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  I think it's morally incorrect to make another living being suffer and die unnecessarily for the fleeting experience of tasting its flesh.

I agree on the suffering and am all for more humane treatment of animals.

IMO you have a much better chance of actually helping the animals if you put your efforts there, because you are unlikely to stop beings who evolved as omnivores to stop eating in that fashion.

It is however entirely possible to effect changes in the laws that govern the treatment of animals. Perhaps you should at least start there.

Seconded. I can completely get behind pushing for more humane treatment of animals.

If you personally want to be a vegan thats great! However telling others they are immoral for eating something they have evolved to eat is ridiculous.
03-03-2016, 10:21 AM
(03-03-2016 10:06 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Plants are alive. They arent like you and me of course, but abuse is abuse, another creature that shares the planet with us and everything has the right to be alive. Right?

Plants are alive, but they are not sentient. It has never been proven that plants have any type of nervous system to conduct sensations like pain. Also, it's probably important to note that there is a difference between nociception and a painful stimulus.

Nociception: the encoding and processing of harmful stimuli in the nervous system, and, therefore, the ability of a body to sense potential harm. But not necessarily indicating the perception of pain.

Pain: Pain is an unpleasant feeling that is conveyed to the brain by sensory neurons. The discomfort signals actual or potential injury to the body. However, pain is more than a sensation, or the physical awareness of pain; it also includes perception, the subjective interpretation of the discomfort. Perception gives information on the pain's location, intensity, and something about its nature. The various conscious and unconscious responses to both sensation and perception, including the emotional response, add further definition to the overall concept of pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgt2erL42No
03-03-2016, 10:22 AM
(03-03-2016 10:02 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  I'm an atheist vegan and I'm also a medical student. The way I see it is that YES animals/animal products contain nutrients that humans need to function properly (primarily vitamin b12, which is not commonly found in plants), so our consumption of other animals is understandable in that sense--BUT we also have access to (vitamin) supplements that make the consumption of animals/animal products UNNECESSARY. So, why would any person willfully and knowingly advocate for the suffering, torture, and death of another living being when it isn't necessary for our physiology to function properly due to the availability of supplementation?--and in fact provides us with better health benefits without the increased risks of things like heart disease and other issues associated with animal/animal product ingestion (etc.)? I think it's morally incorrect to make another living being suffer and die unnecessarily for the fleeting experience of tasting its flesh.

It's not like god 'put them here' for us to mistreat or lord over--they're just another species that shares our planet and I don't think we have the right to abuse them anymore than we have to right to abuse a member of our own species. Pain is pain, fear is fear, suffering is suffering. I wish more people, and in particular free thinkers, would see the logic behind this moral stance--not that it wouldn't be great if religious people decided to stop eating animals/animal products too. Does this make sense to you guys? Correct me if my stance is flawed, please, but I sincerely think that's the best stance on this issue.

Am I missing something here?

We atheists are evil. We neither care for our fellow Man, nor for the planet that we live on nor for its inhabitants, including animals. We are a bunch of unintelligent devil worshipers. christians will tell you that and they don't lie.

christians love their fellow man. They are tolerant of all forms of life. They are peaceful and forgiving. They love all of god's creations including the animals.

Why are you not aiming your question at them?

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
03-03-2016, 10:24 AM
(03-03-2016 10:21 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 10:06 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Plants are alive. They arent like you and me of course, but abuse is abuse, another creature that shares the planet with us and everything has the right to be alive. Right?

Plants are alive, but they are not sentient. It has never been proven that plants have any type of nervous system to conduct sensations like pain. Also, it's probably important to note that there is a difference between nociception and a painful stimulus.

Nociception: the encoding and processing of harmful stimuli in the nervous system, and, therefore, the ability of a body to sense potential harm. But not necessarily indicating the perception of pain.

Pain: Pain is an unpleasant feeling that is conveyed to the brain by sensory neurons. The discomfort signals actual or potential injury to the body. However, pain is more than a sensation, or the physical awareness of pain; it also includes perception, the subjective interpretation of the discomfort. Perception gives information on the pain's location, intensity, and something about its nature. The various conscious and unconscious responses to both sensation and perception, including the emotional response, add further definition to the overall concept of pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgt2erL42No

Doesnt matter

Just because it doesnt experience stimulus like us doesnt change that its a living creature and shares the planet with us. We have no right to end its life for that reason, and its really very sad that you'd look down on something and think its okay to kill it because it doesnt feel things the same as you do.

Who are you to decide what deserves to live and die?