Why aren't more atheists vegan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2016, 08:52 PM
RE: Why aren't more atheists vegan?
What does atheism have to do with being or not being vegan?

WTF am I missing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
03-03-2016, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 08:58 PM by yakherder.)
Because how much empathy we experience and how that empathy is directed varies from person to person. Even more so without an arbitrary set of laws as a guide. So to put it simply, self interest. If I enjoy eating meat, or simply find it convenient to do so, and mirror neurons don't create a sense of empathy sufficient enough to dissuade me from doing so, then the perceived benefit of eating meat outweighs the perceived negative consequences.

Note that at home I'm primarily vegetarian since my girlfriend is vegetarian and wants to raise our kids as vegetarians, which I agreed to. In a different environment I'll eat dog and insect with no reservations. Without arguing based on an arbitrary set of standards (such as those in most religions), or based on an empathetic response that you exhibit but I do not, there is no valid argument available with which to define my actions as irrational.

'Murican Canadian
03-03-2016, 09:13 PM
You like driving places? Well too bad that your petrol fuels are made from various corpses.

You like consumer goods? Better steer clear of anything that used petroleum in its processing...

Vegan is unnecessarily difficult. Why not just be a vegetarian?
03-03-2016, 09:56 PM
(03-03-2016 08:55 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Because how much empathy we experience and how that empathy is directed varies from person to person. Even more so without an arbitrary set of laws as a guide. So to put it simply, self interest. If I enjoy eating meat, or simply find it convenient to do so, and mirror neurons don't create a sense of empathy sufficient enough to dissuade me from doing so, then the perceived benefit of eating meat outweighs the perceived negative consequences.

Note that at home I'm primarily vegetarian since my girlfriend is vegetarian and wants to raise our kids as vegetarians, which I agreed to. In a different environment I'll eat dog and insect with no reservations. Without arguing based on an arbitrary set of standards (such as those in most religions), or based on an empathetic response that you exhibit but I do not, there is no valid argument available with which to define my actions as irrational.

"This snake must die so that I can live", I understand. Life at its basis is just survival.

(Not really in response to your post, but to the OP, in general)- If people are really concerned about causing pain, I have heard of a movement where the people only eat, for example, fruit that has already fallen from the tree. I limit my meat for health reasons, but nobody beyond me gets to tell me whether I have a "moral" diet. It is true that if we ate more vegetables, there would be less environmental impact, based on what I have read. Meaning that the acreage needed to grow a cow, for instance, could easily be used to grow food that we can eat, with less stress, water use, etc., on the land.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
03-03-2016, 09:58 PM
(03-03-2016 09:13 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  You like driving places? Well too bad that your petrol fuels are made from various corpses.

You like consumer goods? Better steer clear of anything that used petroleum in its processing...

Vegan is unnecessarily difficult. Why not just be a vegetarian?

Many years ago I worked at a gas station, while studying at the local university. One of the regular patrons always asked for "Pterodactyl Sauce" when she came in to get fuel. We always got a laugh out of it.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
03-03-2016, 10:20 PM
(03-03-2016 08:42 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Lastly, is anyone 100% certain plants don't feel pain?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-03-2016, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 10:49 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(03-03-2016 07:49 PM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 06:05 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I buy eggs produced from free-range hens. How am I going wrong?

It honestly depends on the situation the animal is exposed to when it comes to things like this in a vegan's mind. If the animal is living freely and not suffering in its situation and has no use of the product, then technically from an ethical-vegan standpoint, there is nothing wrong with that product.

Are you saying that your problem is not eating animal products, then, but rather your problem is eating animal products from animals that have been treated poorly?

Veganism requires the avoidance of eggs, yet here you've acknowledged that eggs from free-range hens are acceptable morally, despite your previous pronouncement that non-vegans are immoral.

What gives?

eta: as an omnivore, I'm enjoying this really nice meal of grilled New York, roasted potatoes, and a fresh salad, as I type this.

[Image: 258358x.jpg]

Oak is good wood for grilling steaks.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
03-03-2016, 11:12 PM
I honestly wish I could be a vegetarian. Not a vegan, though, as that just sounds horrible. I love animals, and it kind of sucks to think about killing them. Alas, I cannot. I have tasted of the fruit...err, meat... and can't give it up. Not only is it absolutely fucking delicious, but, as others have stated, we have evolved as omnivores. We're hard-wired to eat it. "It's the ciiiircleee, the circle...... Of liiiife!"
Oh, and there's the issue of me being an insanely picky eater. don't really eat many vegetables. Corn, green beans, jalapeƱos, carrots, and that's about it lol
03-03-2016, 11:43 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
04-03-2016, 12:06 AM
(03-03-2016 08:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What does atheism have to do with being or not being vegan?

WTF am I missing.

The OP is a vegan. Vegans make me look like the most selfless person in the world and I'm a chronic narcissist...

If there was ever a race of people who hold their noses so far up in the air fly's accidentally fly in them its vegans.
It's stupid I don't get it. It's like walking around wearing nothing but a potato sack thinking you're the best dressed person in the room.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post