Why aren't more atheists vegan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2016, 12:10 AM
RE: Why aren't more atheists vegan?
(04-03-2016 12:06 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  If there was ever a race of people who hold their noses so far up in the air fly's accidentally fly in them its vegans.

Do you ever consider... calming down? It might help. Just saying.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2016, 12:20 AM
(04-03-2016 12:06 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 08:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What does atheism have to do with being or not being vegan?

WTF am I missing.

The OP is a vegan. Vegans make me look like the most selfless person in the world and I'm a chronic narcissist...

If there was ever a race of people who hold their noses so far up in the air fly's accidentally fly in them its vegans.
It's stupid I don't get it. It's like walking around wearing nothing but a potato sack thinking you're the best dressed person in the room.

You don't understand, Muffy ... when you're the only one in the mirror, you are the best dressed. Veganism, and many may other Causes with a capital C, are not about comparing oneself to others and coming out ahead.

They're about going to sleep at night in a bed that cost thousands of dollars and wishing to salve a conscience. To many of these assholes, this concern is simply an expression of their own narcissism -- "look how good I am! I'm changing the world!"

It would be a better world if these sorts would do less of the preaching.
04-03-2016, 12:20 AM
(04-03-2016 12:10 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 12:06 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  If there was ever a race of people who hold their noses so far up in the air fly's accidentally fly in them its vegans.

Do you ever consider... calming down? It might help. Just saying.

There is a reason we made him orange. It's not to set him apart from the rest. It's more like a warning system. Yes

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-03-2016, 12:39 AM
Oh shit ... now I know I've had too much wine...

I just read the thread title as: Why Aren't More Atheists Virgins? Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
04-03-2016, 01:13 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2016 01:20 AM by jennybee.)
Hi Rosie, I'm also vegan. Smile

My views on things: I don't care if people eat meat or don't eat meat. I would like it if there were more humane practices out there in terms of factory farming, not just for the benefit and health of the animals, but also for the benefit and health of the people who consume them.

I personally don't eat meat because I don't like the texture, because I love animals, and because of yogic principles I adhere to. I don't ever push being vegan on anyone and I don't believe in being militant about it. Instead, I work a lot with animal rights causes and work to make things better for animals. I find just doing my thing, living my life, people can see that I am happy and healthy, and will ask me what I am doing.

Like others have mentioned, I don't really think it's an atheist/vegan thing. I was a vegan as a Christian and it had nothing to do with Jesus.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
04-03-2016, 02:08 AM
Wow after reading through some more of the posts, I'm sorry some of you have had such bad experiences with vegans. As with any cause, you are going to find some martyrs, but they are not representative of everyone. I know many vegans, myself included, who are not into militant veganism. I would never tell someone how or what they should eat. I have dated meateaters and I have even attempted to cook meat for them in my best horrible cook possible way Wink I try and be respectful of everyone's beliefs/ways of living. I have tried to do that on this forum and I try to do that irl as well. There are vegans out there like this ya know. Big Grin

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
04-03-2016, 02:54 AM
(04-03-2016 02:08 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Wow after reading through some more of the posts, I'm sorry some of you have had such bad experiences with vegans. As with any cause, you are going to find some martyrs, but they are not representative of everyone. I know many vegans, myself included, who are not into militant veganism. I would never tell someone how or what they should eat. I have dated meateaters and I have even attempted to cook meat for them in my best horrible cook possible way Wink I try and be respectful of everyone's beliefs/ways of living. I have tried to do that on this forum and I try to do that irl as well. There are vegans out there like this ya know. Big Grin

Sorry, I'm just not buying it, Jennybee.

You are clearly one of a kind. Cool

(Wow, I'm a terrible flirt. Perhaps because tonight, I am an exhausted insomniac. *sigh* C'est la vie.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
04-03-2016, 03:10 AM
From what I can tell from most of the responses (1) most people don't care at all if someone else is vegan and (2) they personally choose to stick to diets that are more in line with how they have evolved to survive as humans and (3) they shouldn't have to feel bad for how their biology is and what it requires to function properly.
I don't think that people should have a resentment toward how their bodies function/what they require (yay for positive body image!), so in a way this makes sense to me. I do think that empathy is an evolved trait--not simply found in humans--and I do think that veganism is a very kind way of living, but most people I've spoken with have simply stated that being vegan in general is unnecessary for them to function properly and that they are not required to NOT consume animals due to the necessary nutrient found in them and their personal choice to stay on the natural diet that provides them. It has also been mentioned that most people are very much so in support of the humane treatment of animals and that the animals death should be as stress-free and painless as possible. I've found it interesting to see where different people drew the line on this topic. I agree that empathy (for each other, for animals, for anything) is a sliding scale for each person, so could the question of why aren't more people vegan be interpreted as: "why aren't people more empathetic towards animals when you can be?". Any thoughts on this?
04-03-2016, 03:28 AM
(04-03-2016 03:10 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  From what I can tell from most of the responses (1) most people don't care at all if someone else is vegan and (2) they personally choose to stick to diets that are more in line with how they have evolved to survive as humans and (3) they shouldn't have to feel bad for how their biology is and what it requires to function properly.
I don't think that people should have a resentment toward how their bodies function/what they require (yay for positive body image!), so in a way this makes sense to me. I do think that empathy is an evolved trait--not simply found in humans--and I do think that veganism is a very kind way of living, but most people I've spoken with have simply stated that being vegan in general is unnecessary for them to function properly and that they are not required to NOT consume animals due to the necessary nutrient found in them and their personal choice to stay on the natural diet that provides them. It has also been mentioned that most people are very much so in support of the humane treatment of animals and that the animals death should be as stress-free and painless as possible. I've found it interesting to see where different people drew the line on this topic. I agree that empathy (for each other, for animals, for anything) is a sliding scale for each person, so could the question of why aren't more people vegan be interpreted as: "why aren't people more empathetic towards animals when you can be?". Any thoughts on this?

The animals that we eat would never have been bred in the first place if Man didn't eat them. Millions of chickens, for example, are bred on factory farms to be eaten within a few short months of being born. If Man didn't eat them, they would never have been bred. Man doesn't need millions of chickens as pets. I'm not saying it's right but it is the way it is and I can't see Man changing any day soon.

Man seems able to draw a distinction between animals that he keeps as pets and cares for and loves and those that are bred for the sole purpose of eating.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
04-03-2016, 03:43 AM
(04-03-2016 03:28 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 03:10 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  From what I can tell from most of the responses (1) most people don't care at all if someone else is vegan and (2) they personally choose to stick to diets that are more in line with how they have evolved to survive as humans and (3) they shouldn't have to feel bad for how their biology is and what it requires to function properly.

The animals that we eat would never have been bred in the first place if Man didn't eat them. Millions of chickens, for example, are bred on factory farms to be eaten within a few short months of being born. If Man didn't eat them, they would never have been bred. Man doesn't need millions of chickens as pets. I'm not saying it's right but it is the way it is and I can't see Man changing any day soon.

Man seems able to draw a distinction between animals that he keeps as pets and cares for and loves and those that are bred for the sole purpose of eating.

In regard to you last sentence, I agree and it seems to be based a lot on the culture they are surrounded by.