Why aren't more atheists vegan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2016, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2016 10:02 AM by yakherder.)
RE: Why aren't more atheists vegan?
My empathetic expression is inconsistent. You'll never see me pass up venison. I'm not too fond of the idea of packaged meat, but that's probably because of the way I was raised to hunt, and doesn't stop me from eating meat on occasion, particularly when I'm away from home. I cook almost exclusively vegetarian, given that I'm preparing food for a vegetarian family as well as myself, but I'll dig into a can of stinky smoked herring if I'm alone. When we eat out as a family, it's almost always at a vegan or vegetarian restaurant. I've had dog (that was raised as food, like anything you'd buy in the store) on numerous occasions in Asia and South America and enjoyed it. But if someone tried to harm my own pets, they'd probably be leaving the scene in a plastic bag and I'd be leaving in the back of a police cruiser. In a disaster scenario, I'm pretty sure I could eat human meat and not lose any sleep over it.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2016, 09:47 AM
(04-03-2016 08:44 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  Here are some lectures about the psychology of meat that I thought were interesting. I don't think they are perfect or complete way to look at the issue, but they were interesting points of view. I don't think some of the points necessarily applies to people posting in this particular thread, but I wondered what your opinions would be on it. It's about an hour, but sped up is fine too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vWbV9FPo_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqE0gUCp...ture=cards

I think she at times in spaces is applying to a persons personal morality or humane feeling sense of their being... but that's the thing, especially with atheists, how do you determine what these things mean to you? A person is basically forced to make their own sense of it.

Yes there is no perceived god saying go eat the beings you have domain over and offer slaughters to me... but there is also no moral unification of telling one to not do that. To say don't pray on other life for your sustenance. She has other points in there but that's the one that stands out when it comes to an atheist core as you're wondering about.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-03-2016, 09:52 AM
I wish more people would hunt for their food. My brothers hunt and they are very humane about it. For me, it's less about whether or not people eat meat and more about being humane when you are going about killing an animal for food. I don't believe in hunting for sport though and I do believe if you kill an animal for food, try and use the whole thing and waste as little as possible.
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
04-03-2016, 09:54 AM
(04-03-2016 09:52 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I wish more people would hunt for their food. My brothers hunt and they are very humane about it. For me, it's less about whether or not people eat meat and more about being humane when you are going about killing an animal for food. I don't believe in hunting for sport though and I do believe if you kill an animal for food, try and use the whole thing and waste as little as possible.

Good post. My sentiments entirely. You need some rep for that.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
04-03-2016, 10:00 AM
(04-03-2016 09:52 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I wish more people would hunt for their food. My brothers hunt and they are very humane about it. For me, it's less about whether or not people eat meat and more about being humane when you are going about killing an animal for food. I don't believe in hunting for sport though and I do believe if you kill an animal for food, try and use the whole thing and waste as little as possible.

Now come on JenB What am I suppose to do with a whole elephant?

*Warning Graphic*
[Image: ?m=02&d=20070322&t=2&...p;r=506046]

Buzzards & flies need to eat to.

But in all seriousness. I agree with what your saying. Most of the people that I know that hunt use the majority of the animal they hunt. Brings in some of the best jerky & home made sausages I've ever had. I think dark Eagle post he's a hunter as well and practices regulatory so that when he is hunting he could kill the animal as quickly as possible.

It's the poacher's that are the real problem.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
04-03-2016, 10:10 AM
Is it that have not stated what I think fully or is there is just a lack of interest in why I think these things? And yes, I try to avoid animal products whenever it is reasonable to and whenever there is another option. I also try to purchase products that are cruelty free (as compared to a vegan product).
04-03-2016, 10:23 AM
(04-03-2016 10:10 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  Is it that have not stated what I think fully or is there is just a lack of interest in why I think these things? And yes, I try to avoid animal products whenever it is reasonable to and whenever there is another option. I also try to purchase products that are cruelty free (as compared to a vegan product).

I purchase cruelty-free as well. They tend to also be better for your hair, skin, environment, etc.

I think there is an interest in doing things humanely. I think that is a pattern in this thread--most want things done humanely and agree things aren't always done that way. I also think in terms of coming out of religion, we were all preached to--you must do this to be a good Christian, you must do this to go to heaven...I think more preaching (of any kind) flies out the window in this community. I think people on here are generally open to trying new things (I have "converted" a few consistent meat eaters on here to having a few vegan meals one or two nights a week). I think it's all about the delivery in getting people to understand your way of thinking and perhaps trying other ways of doing things.
04-03-2016, 10:30 AM
(04-03-2016 10:10 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  Is it that have not stated what I think fully or is there is just a lack of interest in why I think these things? And yes, I try to avoid animal products whenever it is reasonable to and whenever there is another option. I also try to purchase products that are cruelty free (as compared to a vegan product).

I see vegans climb aboard their high horses and preach from on high that we must not eat meat for it is cruel to animals yada, yada and there they are sporting their leather bags, purses and shoes without a second thought for the animal they came from. Double standards or what?

I just wanted to know what type of vegan you were. A real, true vegan who actually gives a flying fart for animals and their welfare or some LV toting pseudo-ineffectual without clue 1.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
04-03-2016, 10:39 AM
(03-03-2016 02:50 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 02:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I stand by my points.

Do you stand by accusing OP of endorsing global totalitarianism to the point of forced population movements and mass slaughter?

Because seriously, where did that even come from?

(03-03-2016 02:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Read "Where the Wild Things Were" for scientific findings on what happens when bottom up ecological webs are the norm.

All ecology is bottom-up.

To claim that increased efficiency in food production would lead to a decrease in total food production is nonsense. Period.

Re-read my post, re-read your response...didn’t find the need to explain further as you seem to have missed my points altogether.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JHY...TF8&btkr=1

Let’s discuss when you finish reading the science behind the top-down pyramid of ecological diversity and how the long held beliefs of bottom-up ecology has been refuted. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
04-03-2016, 10:39 AM
(04-03-2016 10:30 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  

I see vegans climb aboard their high horses and preach from on high that we must not eat meat for it is cruel to animals yada, yada and there they are sporting their leather bags, purses and shoes without a second thought for the animal they came from. Double standards or what?

I just wanted to know what type of vegan you were. A real, true vegan who actually gives a flying fart for animals and their welfare or some LV toting pseudo-ineffectual without clue 1.

Many people live by double standards--it's not just *some* vegans. I am vegan and I don't wear or use leather, fur, etc. Luckily, many high-end fashion designers are starting not to use leather/fur etc. either, so there are many options for people like me who like fashion but who don't want animals hurt in the process. I really wish people in this thread would stop lumping all vegans into one category, you guys don't like it when Christians do the same thing to atheists. Not an attack on you goddoesnthavetwitteracct Wink --just an observation on the whole thread.