Why aren't more atheists vegan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2016, 04:45 PM
RE: Why aren't more atheists vegan?
(04-03-2016 02:47 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Legitimate question: what counts as an animal product?

Because that only compounds on the root "what counts as an animal" and "what counts as sentient" questions...

This is a pretty generic list of things that most consider as animal products, but that doesn't mean that everyone does consider them all or that it is the most complete listing. There are other listings available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_product
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2016, 04:54 PM
(04-03-2016 04:45 PM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  [T]hat doesn't mean that everyone does consider them all or that it is the most complete listing. There are other listings available.

That's... literally my point?

... this is my signature!
04-03-2016, 08:28 PM
I think the list was a good one. Most vegans I know consider anything that comes from an animal to be an animal product. That could include eggs, honey, milk, and any derivatives thereof. In many factory farms, animals are treated inhumanely and live in poor conditions--even if their sole purpose is to provide humans with fresh eggs, milk, honey etc. and they are not going to be used in slaughter. This is why most vegans avoid things like eggs, milk, honey etc.

As with any belief system/philosophy of life, there are shades of doing things. Some vegans do eat eggs from happy hens that are kept as personal pets. Some vegans do eat honey. etc. etc. etc. While I don't eat any eggs or honey or anything that comes from an animal, I am okay with hunting. In fact, I would prefer people hunt for their meat. I am sure my saying that would piss off some vegans. I also have cooked meat before for carnivore boyfriends. Again, not something the entire vegan community would be okay with.

My point in saying all of this is that nothing is cut and dry and it doesn't have to be. If you take other points of philosophy of life--such as atheism, for instance--you will see there are many shades involving that as well. I know some atheists who date Christians. I know some atheists who go to church. I know some atheists who celebrate Christian holidays. I know some atheists who have baptized their kids. I know some atheists who regularly read the Bible. Does this make any one of them any less of an atheist because they don't meet our own personal definition of what an atheist should be? Of course not. It's the same with veganism. There are many different types of vegans, just like there are many different types of atheists. Atheist and vegan are just umbrella terms and the individuals that fall under them create lives and philosophy of lives that work for them.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
04-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Quote:I am okay with hunting. In fact, I would prefer people hunt for their meat.

really?? You would prefer the animal to be hit by a bullet, not die, and be chased for the next two kilometers by ankle biting hunting dogs until it dies of blood lose and exhaustion? You would prefer that over animal being knocked out by a stun gun (either through a high powered electric shock or high powered rod to the brain) where it than has its throat slit and dies (which it doesn't feel due to the stunning).

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
04-03-2016, 09:21 PM
For those in this thread who identify as vegan...do you wear leather? Do you follow a truly vegan lifestyle...not just what you do or do not eat?

Is leather okay if an animal dies of natural causes?

In some ways I am seeing cherry picking of the 'rules'.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
04-03-2016, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2016 09:36 PM by jennybee.)
(04-03-2016 09:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:I am okay with hunting. In fact, I would prefer people hunt for their meat.

really?? You would prefer the animal to be hit by a bullet, not die, and be chased for the next two kilometers by ankle biting hunting dogs until it dies of blood lose and exhaustion? You would prefer that over animal being knocked out by a stun gun (either through a high powered electric shock or high powered rod to the brain) where it than has its throat slit and dies (which it doesn't feel due to the stunning).

No, I would prefer everyone was vegan. But that's not reality and I also don't believe in telling people how they should live their lives. Some people don't thrive on a vegan diet. Some people choose to eat meat because they enjoy the taste of it. So in reference to my post, if people are going to eat meat, I would prefer that they do it as humanely as possible and I would prefer that they hunt for meat over using factory farms. Any type of death is not pleasant, but at least with hunting, if done fairly and not at one of those kill ranches, the animal has a fighting chance. The animal also has lived its life outside in its own habitat as opposed to being warehoused in a factory farm. In terms of the quality of meat, it is far better/healthier for people to consume meat from hunting than what is found at many factory farms. In addition, in referencing Black Eagle's post, there is a way to hunt in the most humane way possible--which actually makes the meat taste better:

From Black Eagle's post:

"I know there are a couple of hunters besides me on this board. One of the things we learn early is the faster an animal dies, the less lactic acid is produced in the muscle tissue and the less "gamy" the animal tastes. What we strive for is sometimes called, "a bang flop." That is, the gun goes off and the animal drops without running and pumping any lactic acid in to its muscles. A quick kill, followed by quickly gutting the animal so the meat cools rapidly, prevents the "gamy" taste that many people associate with wild game meat."
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
04-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Do the resident vegans demand plant derived capsules when taking medication or are the gelatin ones acceptable?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
04-03-2016, 09:34 PM
(04-03-2016 09:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  For those in this thread who identify as vegan...do you wear leather? Do you follow a truly vegan lifestyle...not just what you do or do not eat?

I personally don't wear leather. I try and be as vegan as possible or as vegan as I reasonably can be. I basically just try to do the best I can to live a vegan life, but as I have said in a previous post, I am not and have never claimed to be a martyr.

As far as rules--there really aren't any rules to being a vegan. Like I mentioned in a previous post, it's an umbrella term and there are many shades of that lifestyle (just like there are many shades to any lifestyle that falls under an umbrella term). As far as I know, the vegan police don't come out and throw avocados at you if you choose to use honey instead of agave nectar. Wink
04-03-2016, 09:50 PM
(04-03-2016 09:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Do the resident vegans demand plant derived capsules when taking medication or are the gelatin ones acceptable?

I use vegan capsules.
04-03-2016, 10:06 PM
(04-03-2016 09:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 09:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  For those in this thread who identify as vegan...do you wear leather? Do you follow a truly vegan lifestyle...not just what you do or do not eat?

I personally don't wear leather. I try and be as vegan as possible or as vegan as I reasonably can be. I basically just try to do the best I can to live a vegan life, but as I have said in a previous post, I am not and have never claimed to be a martyr.

As far as rules--there really aren't any rules to being a vegan. Like I mentioned in a previous post, it's an umbrella term and there are many shades of that lifestyle (just like there are many shades to any lifestyle that falls under an umbrella term). As far as I know, the vegan police don't come out and throw avocados at you if you choose to use honey instead of agave nectar. Wink

Yes, Ma'am, I'd like another high-speed avocado! Tongue Your reasonableness must some drive people crazy. Not me! I like reasonable.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post