Why aren't more atheists vegan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2016, 12:59 PM
RE: Why aren't more atheists vegan?
(05-03-2016 12:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 12:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It was just an example.

I am curious about this example. Why would vegans have a problem with honey? The beekeeper harvesting the honey makes sure the bees are taken care of even better than if they were in the wild.

Probably because they aren't wild and free. Kind of like not drinking milk because the cows don't just squirt it in your coffee or on your cereal. No human intervention.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2016, 01:07 PM

I am curious about this example. Why would vegans have a problem with honey? The beekeeper harvesting the honey makes sure the bees are taken care of even better than if they were in the wild.

Some vegans do eat honey. For the ones who don't here is why:

http://www.peta.org/about-peta/faq/whats...ing-honey/

I personally don't use agave or honey. I just don't eat a lot of things that would have any of those things in it just based on things I like to eat.
05-03-2016, 01:15 PM
(05-03-2016 01:07 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 12:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I am curious about this example. Why would vegans have a problem with honey? The beekeeper harvesting the honey makes sure the bees are taken care of even better than if they were in the wild.

Some vegans do eat honey. For the ones who don't here is why:

I personally don't use agave or honey. I just don't eat a lot of things that would have any of those things in it just based on things I like to eat.

Interesting. Would they have a problem with naturally harvested honey?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-03-2016, 01:22 PM
(05-03-2016 01:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 01:07 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Some vegans do eat honey. For the ones who don't here is why:

Interesting. Would they have a problem with naturally harvested honey?

I can't speak for all vegans but I think naturally harvested honey would be preferable to them if they really wanted to include honey in their diets (although not the Duck Dynasty way Tongue ) I do know some vegans that have hens as pets and they use their eggs. Like I say, I personally don't use either. Mostly because I don't eat a lot of things that require additional sweeteners and because I don't like the texture of eggs.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-03-2016, 01:28 PM

[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
05-03-2016, 01:38 PM
(05-03-2016 01:22 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I can't speak for all vegans but I think naturally harvested honey would be preferable to them if they really wanted to include honey in their diets (although not the Duck Dynasty way Tongue ) I do know some vegans that have hens as pets and they use their eggs. Like I say, I personally don't use either. Mostly because I don't eat a lot of things that require additional sweeteners and because I don't like the texture of eggs.

I lost my sweet tooth a decade ago when I got the Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis and the older I get the more I don't like the texture of meat. But eggs? You clearly have not had properly prepared scrambled eggs. Tongue

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-03-2016, 03:31 PM

I'm not an expert on vegan lifestyle but a vegan I used to work with explained to me that animals should not have to work for humans at all. It's kind of like animal slavery. The bee isn't agreeing to make your honey. Your taking their honey. Same with cows and milk.
[+] 1 user Likes edbaldwin's post
05-03-2016, 03:36 PM
(05-03-2016 03:31 PM)edbaldwin Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 12:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I am curious about this example. Why would vegans have a problem with honey? The beekeeper harvesting the honey makes sure the bees are taken care of even better than if they were in the wild.
I'm not an expert on vegan lifestyle but a vegan I used to work with explained to me that animals should not have to work for humans at all. It's kind of like animal slavery. The bee isn't agreeing to make your honey. Your taking their honey. Same with cows and milk.

Wouldn't bees make honey anyway? It's not like people gave them the recipe and demanded they produce.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-03-2016, 03:44 PM
They will make the honey either way. But not for us. We are stealing what they produce. That's unfair. Her point, not mine.
I will gladly eat the honey. Yum!
[+] 1 user Likes edbaldwin's post
05-03-2016, 03:50 PM
(05-03-2016 03:31 PM)edbaldwin Wrote:  

Why should plants have to work for humans? It's kind of like plant slavery.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post