Why aren't more atheists vegan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2016, 08:07 PM
RE: Why aren't more atheists vegan?
(04-03-2016 09:52 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I wish more people would hunt for their food. My brothers hunt and they are very humane about it. For me, it's less about whether or not people eat meat and more about being humane when you are going about killing an animal for food. I don't believe in hunting for sport though and I do believe if you kill an animal for food, try and use the whole thing and waste as little as possible.

How about those nutcases who fish and when they have ripped open the fish's mouth throw them back in the river so other fish can eat them by smelling their bleeding mouth.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2016, 08:10 PM
(05-03-2016 08:07 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 09:52 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I wish more people would hunt for their food. My brothers hunt and they are very humane about it. For me, it's less about whether or not people eat meat and more about being humane when you are going about killing an animal for food. I don't believe in hunting for sport though and I do believe if you kill an animal for food, try and use the whole thing and waste as little as possible.

How about those nutcases who fish and when they have ripped open the fish's mouth throw them back in the river so other fish can eat them by smelling their bleeding mouth.

Well, that's why I used the word humane. I would not consider that humane.
05-03-2016, 08:20 PM
(05-03-2016 12:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 09:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  As far as I know, the vegan police don't come out and throw avocados at you if you choose to use honey instead of agave nectar. Wink

Agave nectar is horrible for your triglycerides. Honey on the other hand is quite healthy. And harvesting honey sure as shit don't hurt the bees. Quite the contrary, the beekeepers are highly motivated to take care of the bees and make sure they are happy and content.

Agave nectar is horrible for us troglodytes? Good thing i have never tries it.
05-03-2016, 08:24 PM
(05-03-2016 12:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 12:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It was just an example.

I am curious about this example. Why would vegans have a problem with honey? The beekeeper harvesting the honey makes sure the bees are taken care of even better than if they were in the wild.

Same thing with people who keep goats in this country of the Dominican Republic. I have read that 7 per cent of the moose and deer and elk in the USA die of tick infestations every year. I believe that a kept animal lives better than that even if they are penned up.
05-03-2016, 10:15 PM
I really wanted to comment at length on this thread, but after six pages I couldn't see myself reading another 16 pages and I didn't want to repeat something that might already have been said in those pages. I'll just say this: We had a discussion about this before, sort of, when I asked where we draw the line at what is acceptable to kill. I couldn't find the thread, though.

Let's face it, every living thing is related if you venture all the way back to LUCA. So just because we are higher on the food chain that makes it OK to kill animals and eat them? I'm smarter than most people I interact with on a daily basis, but it's not OK to kill and eat them. Why? Because we have laws. That's also why people give animals rights, because they can't speak for themselves. That doesn't mean it should be fine to eat them. Don't get me wrong, I'm no vegan, but I have found myself wrestling with this a lot lately.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
05-03-2016, 10:47 PM
(05-03-2016 10:15 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I really wanted to comment at length on this thread, but after six pages I couldn't see myself reading another 16 pages and I didn't want to repeat something that might already have been said in those pages. I'll just say this: We had a discussion about this before, sort of, when I asked where we draw the line at what is acceptable to kill. I couldn't find the thread, though.

Let's face it, every living thing is related if you venture all the way back to LUCA. So just because we are higher on the food chain that makes it OK to kill animals and eat them? I'm smarter than most people I interact with on a daily basis, but it's not OK to kill and eat them. Why? Because we have laws. That's also why people give animals rights, because they can't speak for themselves. That doesn't mean it should be fine to eat them. Don't get me wrong, I'm no vegan, but I have found myself wrestling with this a lot lately.

Hmm, I've known some people who should be eaten rather than occupying space. Gasp Did I just post that?!? BTW, what is LUCA?
06-03-2016, 12:11 AM
(03-03-2016 10:02 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  I'm an atheist vegan and I'm also a medical student. The way I see it is that YES animals/animal products contain nutrients that humans need to function properly (primarily vitamin b12, which is not commonly found in plants), so our consumption of other animals is understandable in that sense--BUT we also have access to (vitamin) supplements that make the consumption of animals/animal products UNNECESSARY. So, why would any person willfully and knowingly advocate for the suffering, torture, and death of another living being when it isn't necessary for our physiology to function properly due to the availability of supplementation?--and in fact provides us with better health benefits without the increased risks of things like heart disease and other issues associated with animal/animal product ingestion (etc.)? I think it's morally incorrect to make another living being suffer and die unnecessarily for the fleeting experience of tasting its flesh.

It's not like god 'put them here' for us to mistreat or lord over--they're just another species that shares our planet and I don't think we have the right to abuse them anymore than we have to right to abuse a member of our own species. Pain is pain, fear is fear, suffering is suffering. I wish more people, and in particular free thinkers, would see the logic behind this moral stance--not that it wouldn't be great if religious people decided to stop eating animals/animal products too. Does this make sense to you guys? Correct me if my stance is flawed, please, but I sincerely think that's the best stance on this issue.

I'm not a vegan because I don't want the animals killed to feed me to have died in vain. Evil_monster

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
06-03-2016, 07:16 AM
(05-03-2016 10:15 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I really wanted to comment at length on this thread, but after six pages I couldn't see myself reading another 16 pages and I didn't want to repeat something that might already have been said in those pages. I'll just say this: We had a discussion about this before, sort of, when I asked where we draw the line at what is acceptable to kill. I couldn't find the thread, though.

It's not the killing that bothers me per se, we all have to die. It's HOW it's done and how they live, too.

The entire eco system is based on organisms eating other organisms. There is nothing we can do about that.

But we most certainly can do something about improving the life and death of animals we eat.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
06-03-2016, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 09:01 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(03-03-2016 10:02 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  I'm an atheist vegan and I'm also a medical student. The way I see it is that YES animals/animal products contain nutrients that humans need to function properly (primarily vitamin b12, which is not commonly found in plants), so our consumption of other animals is understandable in that sense--BUT we also have access to (vitamin) supplements that make the consumption of animals/animal products UNNECESSARY. So, why would any person willfully and knowingly advocate for the suffering, torture, and death of another living being when it isn't necessary for our physiology to function properly due to the availability of supplementation?--and in fact provides us with better health benefits without the increased risks of things like heart disease and other issues associated with animal/animal product ingestion (etc.)? I think it's morally incorrect to make another living being suffer and die unnecessarily for the fleeting experience of tasting its flesh.

It's not like god 'put them here' for us to mistreat or lord over--they're just another species that shares our planet and I don't think we have the right to abuse them anymore than we have to right to abuse a member of our own species. Pain is pain, fear is fear, suffering is suffering. I wish more people, and in particular free thinkers, would see the logic behind this moral stance--not that it wouldn't be great if religious people decided to stop eating animals/animal products too. Does this make sense to you guys? Correct me if my stance is flawed, please, but I sincerely think that's the best stance on this issue.

The more I learn I about non-human animal cognition and intelligence, the more I'm apprehensive about eating meat. I'd love it if science came up with a cheap, tasty, protein-laden, cruelty free meat alternative, but that hasn't happened yet. I'm going to continue to eat meat until that day comes. Of course, I'd rather the animal not suffer, but, as you know, this isn't always the case. That's why it is vitally important that animal rights groups and agencies keep an eye on the companies that process meat.

Trying to guilt people into not eating meat isn't going to stop it from happening, though. Meat eating is just too ingrained in our evolutionary history. As I'm sure you know, fossil evidence for primate meat eating goes back millions of years. I've seen such evidence up close while digging in Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania (East Africa), the most famous fossil bearing site on the planet. There is a reason that mega fauna are not around anymore. Researchers compare early human hunting patterns to those of big cats like lions. It is widely accepted that meat fueled the growth of our brain volume starting around 2 million years ago. Evidence suggests that H. ergaster/erectus mastered fire around 1.5 million years ago, which would have made meat easier to process and therefore more nutritious. And don't forget that almost all of our non-human primate cousins eat animal matter in one form or another. The Tarsier, for example, is the only fully carnivorous primate. Most are omnivores. The chimpanzee diet comprises mostly fruits and greenery, but they also eat monkeys, small deer, birds, etc.* Said apes work in "cooperative hunting" (some suggest "opportunistic hunting") groups to corner prey in the trees. The resulting meat is then parsed out by the alpha to the highest ranking and close allies (and/or those he owes favors to) all the way down to the smallest child. Fecal analysis suggests that even gorillas, the supposed vegetarians of the great ape world, occasionally eat meat.

I would like to point out that I have only personally known a single vegan in my life, but they sure fit all of the stereotypes. He never failed to tell us that 1) he was a vegan; 2) eating meat was wrong; and 3) that he walked a higher moral path because he didn't eat meat. I personally find this just as annoying as a Christian proselytizing.

* and a human baby in the case of one asshole who is thankfully no longer living.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
06-03-2016, 10:02 AM
(06-03-2016 09:56 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I would like to point out that I have only personally known a single vegan in my life, but they sure fit all of the stereotypes. He never failed to tell us that 1) he was a vegan; 2) eating meat was wrong; and 3) that he walked a higher moral path because he didn't eat meat. I personally find this just as annoying as a Christian proselytizing.

Agreed.

There is also often as much rationalizing as to why certain vegan practices are followed while others are ignored - akin to the cherry picking the Bible among some theists.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?