Why aren't more atheists vegan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2016, 10:22 AM
RE: Why aren't more atheists vegan?
Sorry the quotes got screwy Tongue Hobo

Ghostexorcist you wrote:

"I would like to point out that I have only personally known a single vegan in my life, but they sure fit all of the stereotypes. He never failed to tell us that 1) he was a vegan; 2) eating meat was wrong; and 3) that he walked a higher moral path because he didn't eat meat. I personally find this just as annoying as a Christian proselytizing."

My response:

I am vegan and I would agree that telling another person how to live their lives (whether it's how to eat/what to believe/who to love etc. etc. etc. etc.) is wrong. I don't agree with vegans who do things like that. However, your point about knowing one vegan who fits all the stereotypes would be the same as my saying I've known one polish/black/irish/asian/atheist/christian/jew/etc.etc.etc.etc. in my life and they fit all the stereotypes. One person is not representative of the whole. I am not saying you are broad brushing an entire group of people, I am just saying not all vegans are one and the same.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
06-03-2016, 10:29 AM
(06-03-2016 10:02 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 09:56 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I would like to point out that I have only personally known a single vegan in my life, but they sure fit all of the stereotypes. He never failed to tell us that 1) he was a vegan; 2) eating meat was wrong; and 3) that he walked a higher moral path because he didn't eat meat. I personally find this just as annoying as a Christian proselytizing.

Agreed.

There is also often as much rationalizing as to why certain vegan practices are followed while others are ignored - akin to the cherry picking the Bible among some theists.

I don't think it's cherry picking or rationalizing. Vegan is an umbrella term. Atheist is an umbrella term. Are all atheists exactly alike and the same in the way they do things or handle themselves? Not in my experience they aren't. With any philosophy of life, people are going to have different ways of doing things, different views on things. Individuality and thinking for myself and carving my own path is one of the main reasons I decided to leave Christianity in the first place. I would hope more vegans would think for themselves and not say oh I have to be like this to fit society's view of what a vegan should be. And not just vegans--I would hope anyone with any cause or belief or way of thinking would think for themselves and do what feels right for them and not because someone told them this is how it has to be or else you are not *whatever* enough.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Also, I would just like to point out to all of you who have mentioned you have never known a healthy vegan or a vegan who doesn't tout their beliefs on a daily basis...

I am vegan and I have been a member of this forum for almost a year. Not once in my time here have I ever tried to "convert" anyone to veganism or tried to proselytize. And as I can tell you from my recent check ups and blood work and the fact that I am on no prescription meds of any kind, and from the pics of myself that I have posted--I am also very healthy/healthy looking. So now you can say you know one healthy vegan who hasn't pestered you with their beliefs Wink
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-03-2016, 11:11 AM
(06-03-2016 10:22 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Sorry the quotes got screwy Tongue Hobo

Ghostexorcist you wrote:

"I would like to point out that I have only personally known a single vegan in my life, but they sure fit all of the stereotypes. He never failed to tell us that 1) he was a vegan; 2) eating meat was wrong; and 3) that he walked a higher moral path because he didn't eat meat. I personally find this just as annoying as a Christian proselytizing."

My response:

I am vegan and I would agree that telling another person how to live their lives (whether it's how to eat/what to believe/who to love etc. etc. etc. etc.) is wrong. I don't agree with vegans who do things like that. However, your point about knowing one vegan who fits all the stereotypes would be the same as my saying I've known one polish/black/irish/asian/atheist/christian/jew/etc.etc.etc.etc. in my life and they fit all the stereotypes. One person is not representative of the whole. I am not saying you are broad brushing an entire group of people, I am just saying not all vegans are one and the same.

I apologize if my comments came off as a generalization. I technically know two vegans; my friend Tracy is like a sister (although, i don't see her very often). I forget that she is one because she hardly ever brings it up. I spiced up this picture of her a few years ago. She loved it...

[Image: E925kw.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
06-03-2016, 11:30 AM
(06-03-2016 11:11 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 10:22 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Sorry the quotes got screwy Tongue Hobo

Ghostexorcist you wrote:

My response:

I apologize if my comments came off as a generalization. I technically know two vegans; my friend Tracy is like a sister (although, i don't see her very often). I forget that she is one because she hardly ever brings it up. I spiced up this picture of her a few years ago. She loved it...

[Image: E925kw.png]

Love that! I should have you do one for my new avatar Big Grin
06-03-2016, 11:35 AM
I love vegans. Or I love sitting next to them when eating and the menu is predetermined.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
06-03-2016, 11:38 AM
(06-03-2016 11:35 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I love vegans. Or I love sitting next to them when eating and the menu is predetermined.

I know you like lima beans Wink
06-03-2016, 12:48 PM
(06-03-2016 11:38 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 11:35 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I love vegans. Or I love sitting next to them when eating and the menu is predetermined.

I know you like lima beans Wink
Is that vegan slang for something sexual?
06-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Kinda like "tossing the salad"?
06-03-2016, 01:07 PM
(06-03-2016 01:05 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Kinda like "tossing the salad"?

Sounds very likely to me.