Why aren't more atheists vegan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2016, 10:08 PM
Why aren't more atheists vegan?
I'm going out on a limb, but I don't think many here have lived on an actual farm. When I lived in Nova Scotia, my closest neighbor was a half mile away.

Can't speak for other farms, but we actually didn't eat as much meat as many would think. Reason? You make a living based on meat production and breeding. When that biggest bull bred, he made some big calves. The farm wasn't dairy, but the milk was just filtered after coming from the udder.

We did respect the animals. They knew us so well we could walk up to them in the pasture and none would give us trouble. Although, that big bull didn't like adults. We kids could walk up to him.

Now, here's the thing. My grandfather couldn't kill anything. So his brother (the actual farm owner) did that with his brothers-in-law.

One thing you did not do in our area was poaching or sport hunting. Let's just say some in the area didn't call the cops when some tried that shit. You kill something, you had better use as much as you can or call around and see who could.

I used to fish here. Can't now. Too many jackholes toss the fish aside and let them die and rot on the banks. Not only is it illegal, it pisses me off.

Do I have empathy for the animals? Yes. I can't stand to think of them in pain. When I was a kid, I had some fish who got sick. I tried to figure out a way to euthanize them as painlessly as possible. Fucking guppies, and I was sick thinking about them in pain.

I know there's a lab that's breeding microorganisms that produce meat. Right now it's more like ground chuck (hamburger meat). They're trying to figure out how to make veins so they can produce steaks. Should that become viable financially, I can see myself going that route.

Until then, it's not perfect. I feel as Jenny said: use as much as possible. If you can, waste nothing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply