Why aren't more atheists vegan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2016, 10:56 AM
RE: Why aren't more atheists vegan?
Via that way we know we are all life. And life has come to be of no seemingly higher order, so there is no designs of superiority to view yourself as something needing to be advanced beyond the other animals.

It's the same as asking why aren't more omnivores herbivores?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
03-03-2016, 10:57 AM
The only thing atheists necessarily have in common is their lack of belief in any gods. Nothing more is required. We come from all walks of life and with a multitude of differences. Eating vegan has nothing to do with atheism.

I eat meat because it tastes good. I prefer that the animal is not abused before slaughtering and I take step to mitigate that as much as possible but I still eat meat and will continue to do so. My ethics do not exclude it.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
03-03-2016, 10:59 AM
(03-03-2016 10:02 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  I'm an atheist vegan and I'm also a medical student. The way I see it is that YES animals/animal products contain nutrients that humans need to function properly (primarily vitamin b12, which is not commonly found in plants), so our consumption of other animals is understandable in that sense--BUT we also have access to (vitamin) supplements that make the consumption of animals/animal products UNNECESSARY. So, why would any person willfully and knowingly advocate for the suffering, torture, and death of another living being when it isn't necessary for our physiology to function properly due to the availability of supplementation?--and in fact provides us with better health benefits without the increased risks of things like heart disease and other issues associated with animal/animal product ingestion (etc.)? I think it's morally incorrect to make another living being suffer and die unnecessarily for the fleeting experience of tasting its flesh.

It's not like god 'put them here' for us to mistreat or lord over--they're just another species that shares our planet and I don't think we have the right to abuse them anymore than we have to right to abuse a member of our own species. Pain is pain, fear is fear, suffering is suffering. I wish more people, and in particular free thinkers, would see the logic behind this moral stance--not that it wouldn't be great if religious people decided to stop eating animals/animal products too. Does this make sense to you guys? Correct me if my stance is flawed, please, but I sincerely think that's the best stance on this issue.

Lighten up. For 99.9999 % of the time Homo sapiens has been around on planet Earth, it was all about survival, ONLY. I get you think animals are "little people in furry coats", but that's because you live in the 0.0001 percent of the time when food was abundant, ( and may not be even for everyone yet). You are spoiled, and incredibly myopic, with respect to human cultures.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-03-2016, 10:59 AM
(03-03-2016 10:53 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  I am pointing out your lines are still arbitrary and pretty much nothing more than personal.

It's a continuum problem. Life is full of continuum problems.

And it's also full of people who think their particular choice of continuum division is so innately obvious that anyone with a different dividign point must be ignorant or have something wrong with them.

... this is my signature!
[+] 8 users Like cjlr's post
03-03-2016, 11:04 AM
(03-03-2016 10:42 AM)kim Wrote:  That is a great stance for you to make Rosie, and I salute your commitment! Thumbsup

I generally eat vegetarian - love my goat yogurt & cheese - a sliver of raw sea fish, now and then.

It is certainly much more healthy to keep the meat consumption to a minimum. Something to note; B12 as a supplement, doesn't metabolize in the human body the same way animal flesh does. So, its also a good idea to keep the meat eating in the mix in order to keep the species evolving. Humans are omnivore. It might change over time - a fucking long time.

As for morality ... we humans often justify our gluttonous appetites with our reckoned superiority. I'm not sure it makes us feel better or ever so slightly ashamed of such conceit.

Again, I salute your ideas and your enthusiasm to make others aware! Smile

Thanks for the support! Would you mind posting where you got your information about vitamin b12? I've never heard of that before.

These are some of my usual sources for my vitamin b12 information.

http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/dig
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vitami...fessional/

If you're able, thank you for sharing! Big Grin
03-03-2016, 11:05 AM
<strikes Rosie off the barbecue invitation list>

Seriously, ma'am, how many animals do you think you've helped kill when farmers clear farmland to grow your vegetables? What makes you think you've got less blood on your hands simply because you've inserted an extra layer of processing between the killing and you?

I could make the argument that at least omnivores eat the animals they kill, and don't drive entire species to extinction when open-range ranching is practiced.
[+] 8 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
03-03-2016, 11:09 AM
(03-03-2016 10:51 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 10:37 AM)Vosur Wrote:  What does atheism have to do with veganism? Consider

The two are not necessarily connected. I was simply trying to connect the 'free thinking' aspect of the atheist community to the ethical comparison between a vegan lifestyle and a non-vegan lifestyle.

I don't see a connection. From the free-thinking aspect, you might get more people to consider a vegan diet. But I don't see any implications that link free-thinking and diet.

I definitely don't see a link between free-thinking and a unified code of ethics. That's certainly a big topic in the objective morality threads.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
03-03-2016, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 11:15 AM by Dom.)
oops

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-03-2016, 11:11 AM
(03-03-2016 11:05 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Seriously, ma'am, how many animals do you think you've helped kill when farmers clear farmland to grow your vegetables? What makes you think you've got less blood on your hands simply because you've inserted an extra layer of processing between the killing and you?

Yes, but that argument is nonsense. Eating the animals is inserting an extra layer (trophic level), so it's a proper subset no matter how close to ideal the process is.

... this is my signature!
03-03-2016, 11:11 AM
(03-03-2016 10:39 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  Right... so... if the animals in question do not perceive any pain and are instantly rendered incapable of receiving any pain...

Then...? Consider

Quote:But the animal in question would have had the ability to perceive pain before that happened--killing it quickly doesn't change the fact that you've ended a sentient beings life and just because it can't feel pain beyond that point doesn't make that act was the correct one to make.

The claim that we have "yet" to prove whether or not plants can experience pain is a valid point regarding the plants themselves, but what does that have to do with how we treat animals that we are already fairly certain of really do experience pain the way we do?

If the animals feels neither pain nor terror, it's death is no different from the death of a plant.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man