Why aren't there any language evolution deniers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2012, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2012 06:34 AM by Vosur.)
RE: Why aren't there any language evolution deniers?
(18-09-2012 10:20 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  P.S. Bringing up the fact that I link to my blog posts is referred to as an ad hominem attack.
Fixed. Smartass

[Image: 33kLC.png]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2012, 05:03 PM
(19-09-2012 04:48 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  There aren't any language evolution deniers?
"Secular linguists are puzzled by the existence of twenty or so language families in the world today. The languages within each family (and the people that speak them) have been shown to be genetically related, but few genetic links have been observed between families. This is a problem for secular linguists. If, as they believe, man evolved from an ape-like ancestor, man would at some point have gained the ability to speak. This process of change would actually be superbly dangerous, as they admit. But still, if speech did evolve somewhere, somehow, we would expect to find that all languages are genetically related. They clearly are not. Some have therefore suggested that man evolved speech simultaneously in more than one place. This suggestion is beyond belief, considering the dangers involved in the supposed evolution of speech. So how did the language families come into existence?"
http://creation.com/the-tower-of-babel-a...inguistics

Thanks for that link. That was very entertaining.

Of course it's all bullshit. It didn't cite any sources. It denies the existence of languages in the far East (Japan, China, Korea, etc.) that clearly have different origins -- not just a different alphabet, but written in symbols that are read from right to left.

It wasn't informative, but it was certainly entertaining.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2012, 05:07 PM
(19-09-2012 06:23 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Speaking of memes, poor Ghost seems to always appear with a subliminal "kick me" sign on his back. Do some of you just start swinging on arrival? Big Grin

I don't oppose him as a rule, although I usually do (because he's a theist and I'm an atheist, so we differ on many points). Sometimes I'm on his side, and it tends to end up in "sides" because he, like myself, would rather correct wrong ideas than to be polite. It's a shame that he's cognitively dissonant about Christianity, because I like the way he thinks, even though I'm hard on him.

Chalk it up as yet another thing I hate about religion. I, too, was a victim of thinking with my faith rather than with my reason for the majority of my life.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
19-09-2012, 05:44 PM
(19-09-2012 05:07 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(19-09-2012 06:23 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Speaking of memes, poor Ghost seems to always appear with a subliminal "kick me" sign on his back. Do some of you just start swinging on arrival? Big Grin

I don't oppose him as a rule, although I usually do (because he's a theist and I'm an atheist, so we differ on many points). Sometimes I'm on his side, and it tends to end up in "sides" because he, like myself, would rather correct wrong ideas than to be polite. It's a shame that he's cognitively dissonant about Christianity, because I like the way he thinks, even though I'm hard on him.

Chalk it up as yet another thing I hate about religion. I, too, was a victim of thinking with my faith rather than with my reason for the majority of my life.

Ghost is a theist? You sure?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
20-09-2012, 07:30 AM
(19-09-2012 05:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-09-2012 05:07 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I don't oppose him as a rule, although I usually do (because he's a theist and I'm an atheist, so we differ on many points). Sometimes I'm on his side, and it tends to end up in "sides" because he, like myself, would rather correct wrong ideas than to be polite. It's a shame that he's cognitively dissonant about Christianity, because I like the way he thinks, even though I'm hard on him.

Ghost is a theist? You sure?
He's an agnostic. Sleepy

21-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm not here to draw assumptions about anyone's belief system, but I have noticed that Ghost represents the theist's side more often than not. He could be playing the devil's advocate, but he concedes very little to atheists. Agnostic? I've met agnostic theists. I'm an agnostic atheist.

22-09-2012, 03:11 AM
(21-09-2012 08:31 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I'm not here to draw assumptions about anyone's belief system, but I have noticed that Ghost represents the theist's side more often than not. He could be playing the devil's advocate, but he concedes very little to atheists. Agnostic? I've met agnostic theists. I'm an agnostic atheist.

He is an Agnostic in the Thomas Huxley definition of the term. I have grown to prefer calling it Huxley Agnostic to separate all the confusion that develops. In other terms, he is a 4 on the Dawkins scale.

I think you don't see any language denier movement because people don't think it would make any impact. Besides they would be laughed at and the only argument they would have is the same weak nonsense of differences between micro-macro and saying there couldn't be enough time. Sure Spanish/French/Italian came from Latin but that doesn't mean Latin could related to the indo-iranian languages.

I'm sure there's some disagreement on the exacts in the linguistic community; although, nothing that is going to be overwhelmingly groundbreaking to society. That's the same for many ideas out there in the world.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-09-2012, 01:08 PM
I've met language evolution deniers who cite the "Tower of Babel." (From where the term "babble" comes from.)

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
22-09-2012, 01:14 PM
(21-09-2012 08:31 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I'm not here to draw assumptions about anyone's belief system, but I have noticed that Ghost represents the theist's side more often than not. He could be playing the devil's advocate, but he concedes very little to atheists. Agnostic? I've met agnostic theists. I'm an agnostic atheist.
He explained his position quite well in this thread.

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post