Why atheism makes my wife cry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2012, 11:18 AM
RE: Why atheism makes my wife cry
NDE - near death experience. Gwynnies - Gwyneth Paltrow, I am seriously in love with that girl. Heart

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-05-2012, 12:04 PM
I am not scared of death itself at all. I am scared of leaving at an inopportune time, without having taken care of the ones that will go on living without me. I won't care anymore, but they will need things to keep living.

The process of dying doesn't scare me, and not existing anymore doesn't either - I won't be around to give a shit.

Others dying around me - now that's a whole different thing. Luckily most of us get introduced to the feeling bit by bit, losing some friends and pets, then losing parents which hurts but yet it is natural and easier to cope with, and finally losing a long term life partner, which is a real doozie.

The progression of loss in life as described earlier in this thread is so very true.

Strangely, each of these losses is part of your preparation for your own death, since each loss in the end will be one less thing to worry about leaving behind...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
02-05-2012, 04:28 PM
This was to me one of the hardest walls to move past when I was realizing that I no longer believed. I can relate to what your wife is saying.

For me however I got over it once I realized something; it's a bit of an eastern philosophy but I feel it holds true.

The people whom I have lost will never be lost to my memory. No matter how much time passes I will always have the knowledge of how they lived and died and what their dreams were. Nothing will ever change that. In a way I will always hold those I have lost in a special place in my mind that nothing can take away.

Once you realize this you realize that you haven't lost someone just because you no longer creating new memories life goes on. We will always have a role we have played in the history of our species and we won't be around to care once our role is done.
[+] 2 users Like Godless's post
02-05-2012, 06:34 PM
(01-05-2012 09:56 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  This kinda thing I'm a total asshole about. Death, can't hardly wait. Prolly gonna rush it along, next month I'm thinking. I know what happens after death. Non-locality and loss of identity. I kinda despise myself so that last bit doesn't bother me. It's the self-absorbed that sweat said detail. I wouldn't make my Gwynnies last forever. That's not about love of another, that's about love of self.

I contend that such may come across as harsh, but if wanted the soft serve, you'd be posting on a theist board. Theists are full of shit for whatever their reasons, but this is one I usually let slide. Yet the self absorption of this species is definitely one of the reasons I can't wait to GTFO.

Shit Johnny, is it time to renegotiate your contract already? What does the tour guide at the edge of the abyss smiling underneath the sign Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate want this time? A better retirement plan? No, that makes no sense. Better health care? Personal contact with Gwynnie? Guess I could send her an email entreating her but I'm not sure that wouldn't kill you thus leaving us without a tour guide. I know, you need an apprentice to take over as tour guide and give you a breather every now and then. I nominate the Hellbound Preacher. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-05-2012, 07:16 PM
And theism gives me a headache, so we're even.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
02-05-2012, 07:49 PM
(02-05-2012 06:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-05-2012 09:56 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  This kinda thing I'm a total asshole about. Death, can't hardly wait. Prolly gonna rush it along, next month I'm thinking. I know what happens after death. Non-locality and loss of identity. I kinda despise myself so that last bit doesn't bother me. It's the self-absorbed that sweat said detail. I wouldn't make my Gwynnies last forever. That's not about love of another, that's about love of self.

I contend that such may come across as harsh, but if wanted the soft serve, you'd be posting on a theist board. Theists are full of shit for whatever their reasons, but this is one I usually let slide. Yet the self absorption of this species is definitely one of the reasons I can't wait to GTFO.

Shit Johnny, is it time to renegotiate your contract already? What does the tour guide at the edge of the abyss smiling underneath the sign Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate want this time? A better retirement plan? No, that makes no sense. Better health care? Personal contact with Gwynnie? Guess I could send her an email entreating her but I'm not sure that wouldn't kill you thus leaving us without a tour guide. I know, you need an apprentice to take over as tour guide and give you a breather every now and then. I nominate the Hellbound Preacher. Big Grin
I accept the nomination but I must smoke some black gungy first! Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
02-05-2012, 09:38 PM
(01-05-2012 04:58 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  http://theunconverted.com/why-atheism-ma...eary-eyed/

Served as a strong reminder of just how much of a role fear of death plays in this whole theism thing.

That and all atheists smell like onions.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
02-05-2012, 10:39 PM
(02-05-2012 09:38 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(01-05-2012 04:58 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  http://theunconverted.com/why-atheism-ma...eary-eyed/

Served as a strong reminder of just how much of a role fear of death plays in this whole theism thing.

That and all atheists smell like onions.

Not onions, garlic.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
02-05-2012, 10:45 PM
(02-05-2012 10:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 09:38 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  That and all atheists smell like onions.

Not onions, garlic.
Not garlic, sex.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-05-2012, 10:52 PM
There was a time when I bought into Christian theology, and it didn't help me sleep soundly at night. Sure, I didn't fear my eternity after death, but I feared the sheer number of people dying every second who were going straight to eternal torment.

Nowadays, I fear death. It's instinctual and instills the value of self-preservation. I don't fear what will happen after death, nor do I fear what will happen to others after death... even to theists, 'cuz there's no atheist version of Hell. I still hate to think of all the people that die every second, though. Poor guys.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post