Why be smug and condescending? Turning people off to your beliefs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2014, 08:33 AM
RE: Why be smug and condescending? Turning people off to your beliefs
(24-04-2014 02:05 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I will be plain here.

I think you are a bullshit artist. I think you are just another theist who joined an atheist website under false pretenses.

Why would you do this? Dishonesty does not warrant compliments.

As for atheism. I suggest you research the term. The word itself is an insult designed to remove all worth and dignity from people so they could be killed more easily and without conscience, by theists.

People such as you, have been mindlessly killing people such as I, for millenia.

(24-04-2014 11:21 AM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  There seems to be a tone that resonates with a lot of arrogance and smug behavior. I get it, because just the other day I started a thread on here that I shouldn't have where I was ridiculing Fundamentalist Christians for believing some of the stupidity with a literal interpretation of the bible, young earth creationism, etc. I was thinking that people like Baptists, Evangelicals and Fundamentalists who go door to door trying to convert the unwashed masses most likely push more people away from Christianity than they do to convert people to it. I think people who believe that there is no God can come across with an abrasive attitude that can push people towards Christianity/Islam/Judaism than to guide them away from those faiths.

I'm coming from the point that at this point in my life I'm fully open to exploring POV's between theistic and atheistic ideals, so maybe I'm biased in my thoughts about this. Also, I can understand most people who are atheists not caring if theists are offended by comments because atheism is typically not in the business of trying to convert people unlike religion. But for me, I do not know any avowed atheists personally. I'm sure there are a few who are in the closet or like me who don't know what to believe. I know at the end of the day if I take that final plunge and embrace atheism (which looks like I'm moving down this path), I will have to remain in the closet for some time based on my current relationships.

My question is why heap so much ridicule on theists if you're sure you are correct? IMHO, if someone chooses to remain ignorant, that's on them. I'm eager to see your thoughts on this.
Dodgy

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
25-04-2014, 08:34 AM
Atheism is the absence of "beliefs".
Not sure how you "turn people to off" to nothing.
(Unless you're a hoarder ?)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
25-04-2014, 08:36 AM
(25-04-2014 08:34 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Atheism is the absence of "beliefs".

I've gotten a few people interested in not collecting stamps. It's a hobby we can enjoy together.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
25-04-2014, 08:47 AM
(24-04-2014 02:05 PM)Banjo Wrote:  As for atheism. I suggest you research the term. The word itself is an insult designed to remove all worth and dignity from people so they could be killed more easily and without conscience, by theists.

Nope.
A = Not
The = Concerning god(ess)(e)(s)/religion
Ist = denoting an adherent of a system of beliefs, principles, etc., expressed by nouns ending in - ism.
You may be thinking of "godless"

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
25-04-2014, 08:57 AM
(25-04-2014 08:36 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(25-04-2014 08:34 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Atheism is the absence of "beliefs".

I've gotten a few people interested in not collecting stamps. It's a hobby we can enjoy together.

Ok. Now you just pissed me off. So ... as a result, I'ma gonna go find me a religion to believe in. That'll learn ya.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Erm, if they can't be smug and codescending how the heck will the Brits in here communicate? Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
25-04-2014, 09:26 AM
A-symptomatic - absence of symptoms
A-symmetrical - absence of symmetry
A-theist - absence of theism
A-cardia - congenital absence of a heart
A-caudal - no tail
A-cellular - no cells
A-cephalous - Bucky (no head)
A-cheiropody - no hands or feet
A-dipsia - no thirst sensation
A-dipshit - insert name of choice

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-04-2014, 09:31 AM
(25-04-2014 09:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  A-symptomatic - absence of symptoms
A-symmetrical - absence of symmetry
A-theist - absence of theism
A-cardia - congenital absence of a heart
A-caudal - no tail
A-cellular - no cells
A-cephalous - Bucky (no head)
A-cheiropody - no hands or feet
A-dipsia - no thirst sensation
A-dipshit - insert name of choice

A-political - absence of interest in politics
A-sexual - the absence of sexual feelings or desires
25-04-2014, 09:38 AM
(24-04-2014 11:27 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Why come to our forum,

Dodgy

"condescending, smug and arrogant"? Us? Naaah!

They come over here, steal our women, take our jobs ...

(25-04-2014 09:08 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Erm, if they can't be smug and codescending how the heck will the Brits in here communicate? Drinking Beverage

I have a new 'WARN' button.

I can communicate with that if you like, Yankee!

Angry

Tongue

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
26-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Not to piss in anyone's cheerios, but I'm wondering why we're feeling the need to capitalize the A in atheism. Seen it a few times in this thread. It's a proper position to hold, but not a proper noun.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post