Why being gnostic atheist makes more sense.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Why being gnostic atheist makes more sense.
Hi (y')all! I have always wondered why people can believe something they think doesn't have enough evidence to prove to themselves. Like agnostics, how some believe even though they claim they don't have evidence. So yeah.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2015, 10:06 AM
RE: Why being gnostic atheist makes more sense.
Well sometimes it boils down to what you take the positions of belief or knowledge to mean. So it can dictate how you would have one position or another.

I can try to explain it through a silly analogy.

I could say I believe my girlfriend has been faithful to me but that I don't Know she has. In this scenario I don't have any evidence she ever cheated but I also don't have any proof she didn't. So I would proclaim I believe it but don't definitively know it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Empathy. Compassion.
Disinterest.
k?

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2015, 10:22 AM
I know no god claim has ever panned out. So I know those god claims don't represent reality any more than any other fictional work.

In this case, I know there is no reason to believe in a god.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
02-09-2015, 10:40 AM
Belief in god(s) is a matter of faith. Lack of evidence is not a hindrance to faith.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
02-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Do you really think that you can have a title like this and then provide 1 sentence that does not prove anything? If you're gnostic, please provide the evidence for it.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
02-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Quote:Why being gnostic atheist makes more sense.

More sense than...what?

agnostic atheist
agnostic theist
gnostic theist
ignostocism
apatheism
etc.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
02-09-2015, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2015 11:20 AM by jennybee.)
I think there are several reasons for someone identifying as an agnostic. I know a few who were not brought up with any kind of religion and are open to the idea of there being some kind of spiritual sky daddy--even if there is no hard evidence that he/she exists. Pretty much the feeling is that it would be nice if there was some great spiritual plan and some magical being looking out for us.

I also know a few agnostics who don't really waste their time on religion--they just kind of live their lives--if a god exists/he exists type of deal.

There are also agnostics who are transitioning to atheism.

I think there are also some people who don't like the negative connotation associated with atheism and therefore, identify as agnostic (even though they might actually be an atheist).
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
02-09-2015, 11:30 AM
There's a difference between not accepting a claim, and purporting to KNOW the claim is false. Just because I don't believe there are gods, doesn't mean I know there aren't.
[+] 4 users Like Mr. Boston's post
02-09-2015, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2015 12:27 PM by julep.)
Reminds me of when I was a Baptist. We were so sure that all of the other Christian denominations were wrong. Our Heaven was going to have lots and lots of elbow room.

After believing in a god vehemently for many years, I just don't feel personally comfortable being equally dogmatic about gods' nonexistence.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post