Why can't we do politics like science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2012, 12:03 AM
RE: Why can't we do politics like science?
In my mind it's pretty simple. Politics is about popularity and eloquence; science is about data and reducible logic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2012, 12:15 AM
(02-03-2012 06:02 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(02-03-2012 04:18 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  So why don't we all adopt laws that experts say would work well? Because experts say contradictory things, perhaps due to special interests or perhaps because the evidence isn't clear and needs more time and study to develop. And even when all the experts agree (*cough* climate change *cough*) societies often won't accept changes in their best interest if those changes come with drawbacks or sacrifices.

I may be biased, but I don't think political science is anywhere near as to be able to weed out all the factors that affect a law, I don't think political science should be called a science in the first place, every so called social sciences are too young to be able to have a developed enough set of principles and methods to work scientifically, maybe they'll never have it.

Fair enough. I added the clause "perhaps because [it] needs more time and study to develop" after a brief look into "political science". It is still a fledgling science, and it's quite young. That doesn't necessarily make it worthless or give us a good reason to be dismissive of it... but skeptical? Sure.

"Maybe they'll never have it"? That's not skepticism... that's cynicism. And based on the history of science, it's unwarranted.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2012, 01:13 AM
(03-03-2012 12:15 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(02-03-2012 06:02 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(02-03-2012 04:18 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  So why don't we all adopt laws that experts say would work well? Because experts say contradictory things, perhaps due to special interests or perhaps because the evidence isn't clear and needs more time and study to develop. And even when all the experts agree (*cough* climate change *cough*) societies often won't accept changes in their best interest if those changes come with drawbacks or sacrifices.

I may be biased, but I don't think political science is anywhere near as to be able to weed out all the factors that affect a law, I don't think political science should be called a science in the first place, every so called social sciences are too young to be able to have a developed enough set of principles and methods to work scientifically, maybe they'll never have it.

Fair enough. I added the clause "perhaps because [it] needs more time and study to develop" after a brief look into "political science". It is still a fledgling science, and it's quite young. That doesn't necessarily make it worthless or give us a good reason to be dismissive of it... but skeptical? Sure.

"Maybe they'll never have it"? That's not skepticism... that's cynicism. And based on the history of science, it's unwarranted.

I wasn't trying to be cynic, I didn't find the right word to say it, you did, skeptical is what I meant. And that's pretty much my opinion, we don't have (for now) the conditions necessary to be scientific about politics. Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post