Why can't xtians help themselves?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Why can't xtians help themselves?
This may have been asked before.

I am not really after an answer: this is more of a whinge.

So I co-founded a dads' playgroup with a friend who is xtian.

Now, we both agreed that the group is should be secular (as dads of various religions as well as agnositcs and atheists).

Many of the dads did not come along to our xmas party last year (which was organised by the xtian).

I went along thinking that it would be non-religious..., I was wrong (it was the same as going to church, with hymns and story for kids about jebus, et cetera).

So, I expressed my disapproval to him and said that I would organise the next one as a non-religious event.

So I have planned everything and it will happen ths weeekend. But, now he is trying to sneak xtian storytime and songs into the event.

I have told him that the event program is closed and we do not need any more songs/stories, but he won't quit. I would just not go to the event, but I have to as the organiser. Now I am anticipating a fight, the exact opposite of a happy, carefree event that I had worked and planned towards. Even worse, it is on his territory, as his church allows us to use their hall free of charge.

Why? Why can't xtians just let these things alone? [Image: mad.gif][Image: mad.gif][Image: mad.gif][Image: mad.gif][Image: mad.gif][Image: mad.gif][Image: mad.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2012, 04:54 PM
RE: Why can't xtians help themselves?
You had me on your side until you said that the church was allowing you to host the event.

Regardless of the agreement, because it's at a church, it has the final say-so.

Organize the event at a meeting hall or a neutral place and then you have the right to demand it to be completely secular. It's Christian property and Christianity has the right to be taught there no matter what.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
28-11-2012, 05:03 PM
(28-11-2012 04:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You had me on your side until you said that the church was allowing you to host the event.

Organize the event at a meeting hall or a neutral place and then you have the right to demand it to be completely secular. It's Christian property and Christianity has the right to be taught there no matter what.

Oh, fuck, I agree with KC. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
28-11-2012, 05:04 PM
(28-11-2012 05:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, fuck, I agree with KC. Angry
I'll just go ahead and preserve this quote for future generations. Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
28-11-2012, 05:06 PM
(28-11-2012 05:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-11-2012 04:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You had me on your side until you said that the church was allowing you to host the event.

[Image: dogs-and-cats-living-together.png]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
28-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Just allow the songs, they are harmless and fun to sing, and draw the line there if you can.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-11-2012, 06:58 PM
(28-11-2012 05:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Truly I say unto you, the end is nigh Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
28-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks for your contributions.

Just a couple of quick qualiifers:

1. the group was existed (as a asecular group) before the church offered that we could use their hall.

2. the admin of the group has nothing to do with the church.

3. the group is not affliated with the church (and my co-founder has agreed that the church hosting the group is a turn-off to many).

So, next year, the group will move to a local government facility.

That should make things easier to manage.

I like the idea of an end of year or yuletide party (instead of an xmas party).

I raised these concerns with my co-founder after our 2011 party.

He agreed that the party should focus on the kids having fun, not on what we do/don’t believe.

In fact I confirmed that with him (or at least I thought that I had) last Saturday.

This is the last year that we will be using the church, so it might be best to let him have some xtian songs and a story.

It is annoying though, as this is our only, as a Japanese-Australian family chance to celebrate a children’s festival (that we could do at least three a year in Japan).

Then next year, rename the party and make it clear that it is non-religious end-of-year party.

Thanks for your great suggestions and advice.
29-11-2012, 06:45 PM
So I learn today (because I went out of my way to find out, not 'cause he was open and honest about it) that my co-founder has arranged a large number of people for the christian story time and songs ONE MONTH AGO - even though we agree that it would be a non-religious event and that I was doing all the organising...

When I asked him to cancel them, he said "it is too late". Yeah - too late, 'cause he arranged it one month ago (by his own admission), but told me about it two days beforehand.

Feeling pretty angry at being blind-sided like this. [Image: mad.gif][Image: mad.gif]
30-11-2012, 12:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 05:43 PM by Janus.)
Fuck him. OK, so he effectively took over, eh? Well, then it's his baby now, isn't it? All the way! The whole schtick. The full nine yards.

Write a short email stating the facts (add dates and witnesses where possible) explaining how the church – in person of so-and-so – effectively hijacked the party behind your back. And by that the church – in person of so-and-so – subverted the collective decision of the group about a secular party to turn it around for the church' ends: evangelisation. IRL: the money of the gullible (but don't say that in the email!).
Explain how you are of course legally powerless as it is on the church' premises. And that it is therefore effectively out of your hands because you don't want to descend to its/his level. Or worse. So that it is now in the hands of so-and-so (add phone number and email address Big Grin ).

Then end stating that they will understand that you will not attend the party yourself this year because of the above.
Do NOT add a recommendation to also stay away from the party! Keep it factual. People can and must make their own decisions.
Send to as many party attendees as you can. Ask them to forward the message to those you cannot reach. Do all this a.s.a.p. Today!

Don't notify so-and-so. He'll find out soon enough. Don't answer his calls, SMSs, or emails. He is literally on his own with this party now. Just like he did/was before. Exactly like he wanted.
With a bit of luck he'll sweat a little.

And then you go, and get drunk and a lap dancer! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Janus's post