Why can't xtians help themselves?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2012, 11:47 PM
RE: Why can't xtians help themselves?
Well, I disagree with both KC and Chas. You had prior conversations, agreements and expectations for this event and group. The church isn't running it and your friend isn't a representative of this church in this scenario, he's just an equal leader in a secular group. I've hosted events for youth and children in local churches while working for a govn't agency and we were not allowed to have prayers or any other religious activities even if we were in church settings, it's the group standard. If word gets out about this by people who are disappointed you might have a decline in attendance for the next year. Your friend could suggest casually in conversation an invite for his religious traditions for another time, but including it in the programming isn't right.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
01-12-2012, 12:02 AM
(30-11-2012 12:43 AM)Janus Wrote:  ...
And then you go, and get drunk and a lap dancer! Big Grin

Now there, my friend, is the real definition of a dad's playgroup

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-12-2012, 06:51 AM
(30-11-2012 11:47 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Well, I disagree with both KC and Chas. You had prior conversations, agreements and expectations for this event and group. The church isn't running it and your friend isn't a representative of this church in this scenario, he's just an equal leader in a secular group. I've hosted events for youth and children in local churches while working for a govn't agency and we were not allowed to have prayers or any other religious activities even if we were in church settings, it's the group standard. If word gets out about this by people who are disappointed you might have a decline in attendance for the next year. Your friend could suggest casually in conversation an invite for his religious traditions for another time, but including it in the programming isn't right.
^This.

The church can change their mind about allowing a secular group to use their space, but as long as they continue give permission they don't get to have a say about what goes on.

You have a couple of options, either bar the storytime and singing shit on the day, or if it's separate people from the guests at the party you could try refusing them entry. Once again, for the duration of the party the church have said that it is your space, so you can do what you want as long as you don't abuse their property.

Alternatively you could go with the earlier suggestion of boycotting the party, and explaining exactly why you have done this to those who were invited. Make sure you don't tell people not to go, but perhaps you could say that anyone who wishes to join you is welcome to do so, but that you won't judge anyone for not doing so.
01-12-2012, 07:57 AM
(30-11-2012 11:47 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Well, I disagree with both KC and Chas. You had prior conversations, agreements and expectations for this event and group. The church isn't running it and your friend isn't a representative of this church in this scenario, he's just an equal leader in a secular group. I've hosted events for youth and children in local churches while working for a govn't agency and we were not allowed to have prayers or any other religious activities even if we were in church settings, it's the group standard. If word gets out about this by people who are disappointed you might have a decline in attendance for the next year. Your friend could suggest casually in conversation an invite for his religious traditions for another time, but including it in the programming isn't right.

Yeah, I have to disagree with KC and Chas, too. LJ's right. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-12-2012, 10:09 AM
You're friend is a dick. I'd tell him so, and ask him if his god is pro lies and deception. Then I'd kick him in the balls to prevent him from having more spawn. Cancel the party, look for a new location, then a new partner.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
01-12-2012, 11:29 AM
(01-12-2012 07:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Yeah, I have to disagree with KC and Chas, too. LJ's right. Drinking Beverage

Yabut, what if a group that has permission to use the church hall then decides to sacrifice a virgin? I mean, sure, it all sounds like fun and games, but who's gonna take care of the blood stains? The church has every right to say what can and cannot take place on their property.

But this just sounds like the case of one douche operating on his own mission of douchebaggery. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
(01-12-2012 11:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yabut, what if a group that has permission to use the church hall then decides to sacrifice a virgin? I mean, sure, it all sounds like fun and games, but who's gonna take care of the blood stains? The church has every right to say what can and cannot take place on their property.
Please, sacrificing virgins is so dated. There are a lot more interesting things you can do with one. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
01-12-2012, 11:39 AM
(01-12-2012 11:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(01-12-2012 07:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, I have to disagree with KC and Chas, too. LJ's right. Drinking Beverage

Yabut, what if a group that has permission to use the church hall then decides to sacrifice a virgin? I mean, sure, it all sounds like fun and games, but who's gonna take care of the blood stains? The church has every right to say what can and cannot take place on their property.

But this just sounds like the case of one douche operating on his own mission of douchebaggery. Drinking Beverage
Great question. That's a legality issue with the police, not the church.

The church does not have a say in what people do when they offer their space, either by volunteer or rent, except to say that they don't want to anymore.
01-12-2012, 11:40 AM
(01-12-2012 11:32 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(01-12-2012 11:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yabut, what if a group that has permission to use the church hall then decides to sacrifice a virgin? I mean, sure, it all sounds like fun and games, but who's gonna take care of the blood stains? The church has every right to say what can and cannot take place on their property.
Please, sacrificing virgins is so dated. There are a lot more interesting things you can do with one. Drinking Beverage

There is? I've been soo sheltered. Weeping

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
01-12-2012, 11:42 AM
(01-12-2012 11:39 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  

Great question. That's a legality issue with the police, not the church.

The church does not have a say in what people do when they offer their space, either by volunteer or rent, except to say that they don't want to anymore.

Do you have a say when someone comes to your house what they can or can't do?

A church is private property so they certainly can limit people's actions. Like, no smoking or drinking on the property. No having orgies in the Sunday class room.

Not saying this fits the OP's dilemma just saying a church is in the right to say what happens in their building.

~Izel