Why choose atheism, over agnosticism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2010, 08:10 PM
RE: Why choose atheism, over agnosticism?
Ah cherry picking. What a suprise!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2010, 08:17 PM
You call it cherry picking... I call it trying to be as accurate as possible.

You are at liberty to build straw men to knock them down again... personally I can't see the point. I'd rather confront the issue at hand.
13-12-2010, 12:15 AM
(12-12-2010 08:17 PM)fr0d0 Wrote:  You call it cherry picking... I call it trying to be as accurate as possible.

But yet, cherry picking you are Sir.
But to let you have it your way, I will shift my stance. I claim that all holy books have been proven wrong. Or lies if you will.
And it is not unknown to me that most religious people have taken the position that the books are to be read as analogies, and that you should only pay attention to the "basic values" of the texts. To me these people sound suspiciously like new age tarot card readers. "the card can have so many different meanings". "the card don´t always work on everyone".

And I was not building a straw man. It´s one book. If some of it is lies, then all of it is lies. It´s already made of straw, you can´t blame me for blowing on it´s weakest spot.Rolleyes

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
13-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Yours is a very weak attack ThinkingNorseman. You think you can dismiss the bible based on the interpretation of idiots that are easily proven to be idiots. You are too afraid to face the real deal, as you know you have no possibility to make such crass claims.

Carry on. Knock yourself out. I'll try to keep an eye out for you if you ever decide to join the adult world Wink
13-12-2010, 03:27 PM
(13-12-2010 02:07 PM)fr0d0 Wrote:  Yours is a very weak attack ThinkingNorseman. You think you can dismiss the bible based on the interpretation of idiots that are easily proven to be idiots. You are too afraid to face the real deal, as you know you have no possibility to make such crass claims.

Carry on. Knock yourself out. I'll try to keep an eye out for you if you ever decide to join the adult world Wink

I notice that your post contains no debunking of my arguments and no new arguments to support your view. I did however detect a hint of personal abuse. I think you will find this to be a much more interesting discussion to participate in if we discuss the topic, rather than your perception of my maturity level.

13-12-2010, 05:03 PM
You weren't talking specifics, and neither was I. The response was measured exactly. You ran up to the boundary and displayed. I matched. So what do you want to talk about?
13-12-2010, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2010 07:31 PM by Godless.)
I think the topic was demonstrably showing that the bible and indeed all "holy books" ( a term which will need to be defined) are false.

That was his claim. I will admit I am bias in that I do think that claim is true. I could not deny that fact after doing my own research and looking at the historical basis for a number of major religions.

Your response was not to respond that your holy book is true and give any reasons why but rather to simply insult others.

This kind of response is why it's so hard for anyone to take an intellectual discourse with you seriously.
13-12-2010, 10:27 PM
(12-12-2010 03:54 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I accept your challenge! LOL

I guess what I'm getting at is that I accept the possibility (An EXTREMELEY remote possibility in my opinion) that the foundation of any given religion may be true. I absolutely agree that there is not a single religion, to my knowledge, that doesn't have many demonstrably false ideas/premises/tenets/stories. So in that case we agree. I just have to accept that there is that remote chance that maybe there's a religion that worships the "right" god. (Again, I don't believe a god exists, but prove me wrong and I'll humbly change my opinion).

It seams we are in agreement.
TFSMism actually fulfills our requirements. It is to this day impossible to disprove. But then again it was created for that exact purpose, so I consider that cheating.And this might actually change! Pastafarians claim that global warming is due to a diminishing number of pirates on the planet. Now that the number of pirates are rising we should expect to see the planet cooling again. If that doesn't happen however, I´m afraid TFSM will go the way of Thor, Jahweh, Allah & the rest of`em..

14-12-2010, 01:06 PM
(13-12-2010 07:24 PM)Godless Wrote:  Your response was not to respond that your holy book is true and give any reasons why but rather to simply insult others.
I made a blanket response to a blanket accusation. No specifics were given, so nothing specific could be refuted. Insults came on both sides. Do you have a problem with having your insults returned? If you do, then don't insult.
14-12-2010, 01:44 PM
(14-12-2010 01:06 PM)fr0d0 Wrote:  Insults came on both sides. Do you have a problem with having your insults returned? If you do, then don't insult.

I fail to see how I have insulted you. Please correct me if you can by quoting the insult. Unless you are the kind of person that takes offense to having his views and opinions challenged.