Why come out as an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2014, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2014 07:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
Why come out as an atheist?
I mean I take my metaphysics rather personally. Kinda like they should be covered under HIPPA and shit. Why should an atheist even bother to announce it to the world? I generally don't unless the conversation naturally goes there. When pressed on my religious views I respond "Any promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is utter and complete bullshit. Dualism is untenable. No plausible mechanism of action has ever been proposed. Now what would you like to discuss?" ... I like it, it's fun. Evil_monster

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-05-2014, 05:51 PM
RE: Why come out as an atheist?
Man, I don't have a social circle. I don't even have a social arc. Sadcryface2

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-05-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm in the same boat HOC. However I think that's the reason why in the few times I have any social interaction and the subject invariably goes to religion, i do not hesitate to state my views. And that, to my limited social network, brands me as a militant atheist.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes ivaneus's post
16-05-2014, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2014 10:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-05-2014 05:52 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  I'm in the same boat HOC. However I think that's the reason why in the few times I have any social interaction and the subject invariably goes to religion, i do not hesitate to state my views. And that, to my limited social network, brands me as a militant atheist.

I just cut 'em off at the ankles. If the religion requires or assumes Dualism, it's dead in the water. Too short for this ride. Any talk of God is premature and presumptuous.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-05-2014, 06:11 PM
(16-05-2014 05:51 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Man, I don't have a social circle. I don't even have a social arc. Sadcryface2

What I'd give to have a social circle to fall out with and hate for the rest of time... No

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
16-05-2014, 06:13 PM
I don't announce my non-belief...but I do hate it when I am expected to join in on prayers and that type of thing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
16-05-2014, 06:34 PM
I don't announce my metaphysics unless it comes up in discussion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
16-05-2014, 07:13 PM
I feel things out. If someone is highly religious and mentions it a lot, i don't want to be around them.

If they don't mention it, I check to see if I maybe ran into another atheist.

I don't really care what others do and think in their private life. If they want to share their private life with me, I start sorting things out. I have some close friends who are quite religious, and they know I don't believe. If it doesn't bother them, it doesn't bother me. Long as they don't try to convert me... that's a no-no and will cause me to speak out.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
16-05-2014, 07:37 PM
I got a warning on TDPRI for saying something about Jesus not being quite as good a guitarist as Hendrix... I decided not to bother posting again.

I mean... Its fuckin' true for a start... Jesus was shit on the guitar!

Apparently the site has a policy of "no religion", yet has a section dedicated to Christian Rock bands.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
16-05-2014, 07:46 PM
(16-05-2014 05:51 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Man, I don't have a social circle. I don't even have a social arc. Sadcryface2

I changed it "the world". Thumbsup