Why come out as an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2014, 08:05 PM
RE: Why come out as an atheist?
(16-05-2014 07:37 PM)Sam Wrote:  ... Jesus was shit on the guitar!

Yeah, but the bastard could build a mean one. Best carpenter that ever lived.

Consider

Then died, then lived again.....

Still waiting for the "Fender Messiahcaster"

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
16-05-2014, 08:12 PM
(16-05-2014 08:05 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 07:37 PM)Sam Wrote:  ... Jesus was shit on the guitar!

Yeah, but the bastard could build a mean one. Best carpenter that ever lived.

Consider

Then died, then lived again.....

Still waiting for the "Fender Messiahcaster"

Seems only one was made...

No wonder he can't play it with a neck like that...

[Image: r-HUNKY-JESUS-large570.jpg]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
16-05-2014, 08:18 PM
When are we gonna see 'Al-Qaeda Rock'... That's what I wanna know?

They go one better than The Who and Hendrix by blowing themselves up at the end.

Its a great act, but has limited touring potential.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 4 users Like Sam's post
16-05-2014, 08:33 PM
(16-05-2014 08:18 PM)Sam Wrote:  When are we gonna see 'Al-Qaeda Rock'... That's what I wanna know?

They go one better than The Who and Hendrix by blowing themselves up at the end.

So that was it. Spinal Tap only hired muslim drummers.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
16-05-2014, 08:51 PM
(16-05-2014 08:33 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 08:18 PM)Sam Wrote:  When are we gonna see 'Al-Qaeda Rock'... That's what I wanna know?

So that was it. Spinal Tap only hired muslim drummers.

Best pyrotechnics of any religion.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
16-05-2014, 09:28 PM
A different band every week would be excellent. It would boost the economy for musical instrument sales and create instrument factories. Construction companies would have lots of work and need to hire more people. Its a natural win-win

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
16-05-2014, 11:31 PM
'cause Sam's siggie.Thumbsup

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-05-2014, 11:47 PM
(16-05-2014 05:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I mean I take my metaphysics rather personally. Kinda like they should be covered under HIPPA and shit. Why should an atheist even bother to announce it to the world? I generally don't unless the conversation naturally goes there. When pressed on my religious views I respond "Any promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is utter and complete bullshit. Dualism is untenable. No plausible mechanism of action has ever been proposed. Now what would you like to discuss?" ... I like it, it's fun. Evil_monster

I wish I never had.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Meh, if it comes up, I say so - no biggie - at least not for me. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
17-05-2014, 01:18 AM
I never bring up the subject but if some else does, I am quick to tell them I am an atheist and I have been for as long as I can remember. I also tell them that I have read the bible, cover to cover, twice in my life and each time it reaffirmed my lack of belief. I believe that if we are ever going to change the world for the better by reducing or eliminating the effects of religion, we should let people know that we do not believe. I think the best way to "sell" atheism is not by arguing with people but by merely letting them know there are honest, happy, and successful people who do not need a belief in the supernatural to be ethical, happy, and successful.

If that doesn't make them stop and think a little, and maybe begin questioning their own dependence on religion, then I punch them in the nose and kick them in the nuts. Big Grin Big Grin

By the way, I don't lie to them and in fact, I have read the KJV Bible twice. I read it when I was 14-15 years old because my lack of belief got me thrown out of my parents' house. I read it again in college just to make sure I got it right the first time. I do not recommend reading it completely. It's deadly boring at times and at other times it can really fuck up your karma. You also have to be a little bit crazy to read it all.

A further by the way -- for many years, up until I retired in 2012, I read parts of the Bible every evening. I spent 40 years as a criminal defense lawyer in an extremely conservative and religious community. [Colorado Springs] I found it very helpful to be able to pull pertinent Bible verses out of thin air when defending a client before a jury.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post