Why come out as an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2014, 06:28 AM
RE: Why come out as an atheist?
To the religious "How many people are alive in China right now ?"
The religious might say "I have no idea"
What if I told you that I knew exactly that number and I believed it was true with all my heart ?

What if I showed you a book written thousands of years ago in which I can add together all numbers written in half the book, then multiply that by all the numbers written in the other half of the book and it would be the same number I'm going to tell you ?

Would that convince you that I'm right ?

"No it wouldn't, because you are pretending to know something you can't possibly know and then asserting that some old book has the answer if you do some weird calculation with the numbers. Its just silly and frankly kinda creepy that you really believe it to be true"

Me "And now you know why I'm an atheist"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
17-05-2014, 06:40 AM
(16-05-2014 06:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't announce my metaphysics unless it comes up in discussion.

This is pretty much it for me, too. Most people that know me probably don't know. I have told:
  • Close family and friends, and we almost never talk about it since I told them.
  • Friends who are atheist. Basically I could say "You know how we used to disagree? Now we agree?"
  • The occasional religious friend if it comes up in discussion (which is rare).
  • My wife's pastor when discussion my role in my daughter's baptism.
17-05-2014, 06:45 AM
I dont usually spout off about being an atheist, tho I do have the A-atom patch on my vest.

People just dont talk to me about religion.... maybe its my looks or bad breath. Wink

The occasional door knocker gets kicked to the curb in a hurry, no conversation needed. Drinking Beverage

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
17-05-2014, 06:50 AM
I'm loud and proud! "There is no fucking god you stupid Christians," is my battle cry!

I take every opportunity to shove it down their throats - they deserve it for all the child abuses they commit. My family doesn't talk to me anymore, and that's fine with me I cannot stand their stupid jebus shit all day. The only friends I have are strong atheists - I don't want any of that weak, or mild, atheism shit.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
17-05-2014, 10:51 AM
(17-05-2014 06:50 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  The only friends I have are strong atheists - I don't want any of that weak, or mild, atheism shit.

TrainWreck don't like Girly. Weeping

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-05-2014, 11:49 AM
It depends on where you reside. My assumption is that the majority in this thread are from the United States - the hardest part to announce their atheism.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression.
-- Thomas Paine,
17-05-2014, 04:32 PM
There was a time when I would announce it every chance I got. Then I learned that people don't generally give a fuck and would rather talk about entertainment tonight or fashion. At least that's how it seems in my neck of the woods.
17-05-2014, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2014 05:22 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(16-05-2014 06:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't announce my non-belief...but I do hate it when I am expected to join in on prayers and that type of thing.

there is a lot of pomp, circumstance and "tradition' in the military. All ceremonies begin and end with a prayer by the chaplain, which sickens me. I always find it interesting when the chaplain starts a prayer and everyone dutifully drops their heads and closes their eyes. I always keep my head up, and look around to see the handful who also refuse to comply with this disgusting display of forced religious deference....it is neat to exchange looks of "this is such BS" while we await the end of the blah blah blah. Dodgy

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 5 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
17-05-2014, 06:53 PM
(16-05-2014 05:52 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  And that, to my limited social network, brands me as a militant atheist.
And the irony is that the conservative Christians are the ones stockpiling weapons and ammo. Dodgy

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
18-05-2014, 01:20 AM
(17-05-2014 05:16 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  All ceremonies begin and end with a prayer by the chaplain, which sickens me.

I did the same as you and my fellow sailors would smirk with me at the fools, but can't say it ever sickened me. It amused me. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post