Why come out as an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2014, 01:23 AM
RE: Why come out as an atheist?
I have had some private conversations with people in my vicinity. There are far more Atheists and Agnostics than we realize, but they're nervous about saying it.

I'm coming out, at least partially to encourage them that they can too so that they won't be the only ones and won't need to be afraid.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Charis's post
18-05-2014, 01:40 AM
(18-05-2014 01:23 AM)Charis Wrote:  I have had some private conversations with people in my vicinity. There are far more Atheists and Agnostics than we realize, but they're nervous about saying it.

I'm coming out, at least partially to encourage them that they can too so that they won't be the only ones and won't need to be afraid.

That's a good reason. Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-05-2014, 04:15 AM
(17-05-2014 01:18 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  ...
I spent 40 years as a criminal defense lawyer in an extremely conservative and religious community. [Colorado Springs] I found it very helpful to be able to pull pertinent Bible verses out of thin air when defending a client before a jury.

No offence intended but there is a whiff of hypocrisy there... but ... well ... lawyer... I guess it's a job requirement so I'll let it pass.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
18-05-2014, 04:17 AM
(18-05-2014 04:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-05-2014 01:18 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  ...
I spent 40 years as a criminal defense lawyer in an extremely conservative and religious community. [Colorado Springs] I found it very helpful to be able to pull pertinent Bible verses out of thin air when defending a client before a jury.

No offence intended but there is a whiff of hypocrisy there... but ... well ... lawyer... I guess it's a job requirement so I'll let it pass.
^^he said it, not me.

just sayin'. Drinking Beverage

Tongue

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
18-05-2014, 04:22 AM
Meanwhile...

Why come out?

I didn't.

I never went in.

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-05-2014, 06:23 PM
Seemingly different than being a member of another religion, being an atheist is seen as making a direct commentary on every religion out there.

And that direct commentary is "You're all crazy"

I think that's what others hear when they hear that someone is atheist. "You're atheist ? You must think I'm crazy. How dare you imply that I'm crazy"

Frankly I'm afraid to tell them that I don't believe Elvis is alive either. Too much reality in one day can send them into fits of rage.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
18-05-2014, 10:19 PM
The term "coming out" doesn't really mean anything to me. I haven't "come out" as an atheist, per se. I haven't announced it to the world, because I don't need to. If someone wants to know my feelings about a subject, they can ask me. Otherwise, it's none of their damn business, and that should be respected.

I make my opinions and views known when they are brought up in discussions, but I see absolutely no point in announcing it to the world. When I see announcements like that it's typically either to start an argument or end an argument. That, or it is just someone seeking attention and approval. I enjoy my privacy and freedom to be me, thank you. I don't need anyone's approval.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 1 user Likes Anudist's post
18-05-2014, 10:31 PM
My people know me as a fundy. Most of them are also fundy.
My switch will be a shock. They will see the change, and will wonder what's going on.
I can't even go from fundy to simply not talking about religion. Not talking about religion will be a suspicious change. Being normal will be a suspicious change. They're not normal either.
The only way for ME to stay in would be to continue acting full-fledged fundy, and that's not possible for me now.

[+] 4 users Like Charis's post
18-05-2014, 11:03 PM
I think it's different for former believers and even more different for people who were indoctrinated from childhood... the more acceptance, the more there seems to be a need to publicly reject theistic notions.

I've observed that the "coming out excitement" eventually settles down ... it's good while it lasts. Wink

Being raised secular just means there's probably a very small handful of conversations I won't be having. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
19-05-2014, 12:36 AM
(18-05-2014 10:31 PM)Charis Wrote:  My people know me as a fundy. Most of them are also fundy.
My switch will be a shock. They will see the change, and will wonder what's going on.
I can't even go from fundy to simply not talking about religion. Not talking about religion will be a suspicious change. Being normal will be a suspicious change. They're not normal either.
The only way for ME to stay in would be to continue acting full-fledged fundy, and that's not possible for me now.

Makes sense. My exit from the LDS church was very slow and gradual, but I started it at an early age so it wasn't such a shocking change. I can see how going from one view to a dramatically different one would turn some heads, and where it would be necessary to make your views known in a general sense. Never thought of it that way, as my life is mostly filled with live and let live people (aside from some family members). Thanks for the perspective.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody