Why come out as an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2014, 01:09 AM
RE: Why come out as an atheist?
"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

I'd say The Bard sums up my thoughts on the subject, at least as they pertain to my own personage. I've never considered being anything publicly other than what I am and being vocal about my thoughts is in my nature.

Though I have been accused of over sharing. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
19-05-2014, 06:40 AM
I do not see a reason to tell everybody I am an athiest just like I had no reason to tell everbody I was a catholic. My family knows I am done with going to church and stuff, but that is because my wife told them she can not get me to go to mass anymore. My mom just shrugged it off. If it comes up I will talk about it, but even tho my parents and lots of my family are religious we so not sit around talking about religion. We talk about work, fishing, kids, etc or we play cards or music.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
19-05-2014, 09:05 AM
For me personally, I generally avoid the topic of religion with anyone who isn't among my closest friends or my family. You don't even have to be an atheist to spark off some nerves on the topic so it's usually not worth the trouble.

But I have little influence as an individual and that's the reason I mostly stay quiet. However, as a whole group of people, I also think it's very important for atheists to make themselves known. Right now, at least here in the US, atheists feel overrun by theists. We know that if we "come out", we could lose our jobs, friends, and/or family. That's in large part because there seems to be far more theists than atheists. The more atheists "come out", the more that tide could be reversed. Maybe if everyone was open about their position on the topic of religion, it might turn out that atheists would outnumber theists and theists might be the ones with the fear of getting shunned for mistreating atheists.

Atheists are never going to be heard as a group (about rights in particular) until individuals are willing to open up. So this is on my mind a lot - how to best open up and be effective without causing my wife and kids a lot of backlash.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
24-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Those closest to me know, and I will let people know in case they just start assuming I'm religious. If I'm asked then I tell, but I don't drive around with Atheist bumper stickers or nothing...at least not yet.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
24-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Bumper Sticker

"Atheism - When you care enough to believe in reality"
"Atheism - 100,000 yrs of pointing out the flaws in your thinking"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
24-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Southern Oregon is not a part of Jesus land. Coming out as a Atheist in public is like announcing your gay.

No one really gives much of a damn here.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post