Why crawl when you can fly

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Why crawl when you can fly
A particular character flaw of mine is to interject myself into conversations in a social environment before anybody knows who I am. Did it here. Will probably do it again.

So, intros....47 year old married male. Canadian military currently posted to Colorado Springs, the most uber right wing fundi christi stretch of interstate in the country.

Church going believer until 1982. Agnostic around 1983. Weak atheist in 1984 and strong atheist in 1988. Being an asshole about it started in 2009. Around the same time I moved to Co Spgs. I have taken the Newtonian approach. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I think my defining moment wrt christianity was when I signed up. There was a block that asked for religion. I wrote "None." The staff told me that I could not pick that and I had to write in a religion. I chose UCC because that is how I was raised. 5 years later on re-up I wrote None again and was challenged again. This time I stood my ground threatening to make it a human rights issue if it was pushed. So card carrying atheist since.

I continue to enjoy the commentary here. I will participate if I think I can add to the conversation. Have a happy godless day everyone. Just like everybody else.

Trevor

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2011, 05:09 PM
RE: Why crawl when you can fly
(09-10-2011 12:24 AM)coyoteran Wrote:  I think my defining moment wrt christianity was when I signed up. There was a block that asked for religion. I wrote "None." The staff told me that I could not pick that and I had to write in a religion. I chose UCC because that is how I was raised. 5 years later on re-up I wrote None again and was challenged again. This time I stood my ground threatening to make it a human rights issue if it was pushed. So card carrying atheist since.

Huh. My USN dogtags issued in 1981 read "NO PREF" for religion. And here I thought you Canucks were somehow more enlightened. Live and learn I guess.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
11-10-2011, 08:52 AM
The military puts your religious preference on your dog tags? Talk about details.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
12-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Blood type, name, age, religion, and a couple of other bits of info. Just what the medics, body counters, and faith healers need to do their job.

As to Canadians being more enlightened, whether or not that is the case is up for debate. This was 23 years ago and it may have just been a case of the directing staff abusing their authority.

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
12-10-2011, 08:39 PM
(11-10-2011 08:52 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  The military puts your religious preference on your dog tags? Talk about details.

It serves an obviously useful purpose for the military. "If we should find you dead, what would you like us to do with you?" I got no problem with that. Sounds like a good idea to me. My preference was "NO PREF".

(12-10-2011 06:19 PM)coyoteran Wrote:  As to Canadians being more enlightened, whether or not that is the case is up for debate. This was 23 years ago and it may have just been a case of the directing staff abusing their authority.

I mean, it's easy enough to ascribe equal ignorance to both our countries.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-10-2011, 07:23 AM
I thought that dog tage ae these little pieces of metal with a chain. how the hell do they fit all of that stuff on there?

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!