Why did God make so many idiots?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Re: Why did God make so many idiots?
And adolescents are also often incapable of separating love from lust.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
13-02-2013, 03:01 PM
RE: Why did God make so many idiots?
(13-02-2013 01:36 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(13-02-2013 01:36 PM)Beardy Wrote:  Abortion is not a simple question. Is the fetus viable? Is the parent capable of taking care of a child? Go look at nature. Rats will eat their young if stressed and other animals will abandon their young if they are malnourished. Even humans will stop producing breast milk if the mother is malnourished. It is a survival response to preserve the life of the adult in order to have a chance at reproducing labor. You are trying to oversimplify abortion. Life's first tendency is to preserve life, that starts with the survival of the individual AND THEN extends to the survival of family.
So thanks, I have better context on your assertion. You do think we should let the children starve if we only have food for one?

Speaking of context, would it be possible to try for some consistency of context for sake of discussion?

PJ asked about abortion and so Beardy was addressing abortion in his response. A counter response about abortion would have been appropriate, however there was nothing about abortion in his reply. Suddenly the subject has changed to "letting children starve if we only have food for one"... as well, this is held as an assumption by PJ of Beardy's social intention ... and I'm guessing whomever he feels he must lump into his accusation.

Stop jumping around. Stick to the one thing being discussed, once that one thing has been responded to, then another subject can be suggested. This will help keep ideas in an understandable form - and will get points across much better.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
13-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Quote:Let's say all things being equal chemically is true. If we were animals without a social structure, would anyone deem such actions to be wrong? I have no idea, but it is a mute point as we understand and identify that what we consider pedophilia is wrong. It is a social construct to protect the young from harm. It does not mean that one or both can't expiernece it as love.

We recognize it has more potential for harm than good as those individuals that are not fully cognitively developed are not mature enough to make good decisions about their lives. That does not magically happen with age either. I know plenty of college kids who shouldn't be legally allowed to be considered adults.
Again, ONE honest Atheist on a thread here. "...It is a social construct to protect the young from harm. It does not mean that one or both can't expiernece it [paedophilia] as love."
Quote:We recognize it has more potential for harm than good as those individuals that are not fully cognitively developed are not mature enough to make good decisions about their lives.
Bing! Yes. So you agree the chemicals involved are the same as for paedophiles and rapists as for consenting adults and horny teens.
13-02-2013, 03:16 PM
And your point is?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
13-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Quote:And your point is?
That naturalism redacts admonitions against what the Bible calls immoral sexual mores to "social constructs". You're honest, TBD, so you couldn't say paedophilia is evil, vile, immoral or anything that would come from a religious paradigm. You wrote it's a social contract to say it's wrong. Now I'd ask, "Are you sure paedophilia is social contract ill or would you say it's absolutely wrong?" Is it relatively wrong or absolutely wrong?
Thanks for being straightforward with me on this argument. It is sincerely appreciated.
13-02-2013, 03:26 PM
I don't see subjective morality as an issue. That just means we think about it.

Pedophilia is an issue that seems to pop up over and over again in religious communities. It doesn't seem to matter if religion condemns it or not, people behave on their own and act upon their own emotions and instincts.

Where in the Bible is pedophilia deemed evil by the way?

—Thomas Henry Huxley
13-02-2013, 03:36 PM
(11-02-2013 02:36 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:How nice of him to give me the "free will" to love him or roast in hell...
Straw man. THAT is not the "choice". You make it sound like a lack of feeling drives one to be lost.

Try:

A person presents themselves to me as an amorous (in the agape sense) stranger. They then step in front of a bus, pushing me out of the way, proclaiming their love for me, and saying as final words, "Now make your life count, bro!"

Then I spend the next 20 years on forums decrying their love for me, saying I'm better than them, smarter than them, don't need them, and they never even existed. The bus coming to kill me was all in someone's imagination, etc.

Then the stranger's brothers come to me, begging, pleading, praying, helping, serving. I tell them all to go jump in a lake. I say the brothers have no right to grieve for the lost brother or to celebrate his life. I assault their senses with vicious attacks. I call them every name under the sun. The brothers than try to continue to win me over with their (admittedly finite) logic, with love, with prayer, with gifts.

I'm not suprised when a Christian says, "What else could Jesus do?"
Curious, Going with the analogy here. Who started that bus down the road?

Beyond that, seeing as how according to Judaism only a sacrifice of death could absolve sin. How is Jesus's death the ultimate sacrifice since nothing in the end was lost and the last chapter was known before hand?

Just an outsider looking inn.
13-02-2013, 03:38 PM
(13-02-2013 03:01 PM)kim Wrote:  
(13-02-2013 01:36 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  So thanks, I have better context on your assertion. You do think we should let the children starve if we only have food for one?

Speaking of context, would it be possible to try for some consistency of context for sake of discussion?

PJ asked about abortion and so Beardy was addressing abortion in his response. A counter response about abortion would have been appropriate, however there was nothing about abortion in his reply. Suddenly the subject has changed to "letting children starve if we only have food for one"... as well, this is held as an assumption by PJ of Beardy's social intention ... and I'm guessing whomever he feels he must lump into his accusation.

Stop jumping around. Stick to the one thing being discussed, once that one thing has been responded to, then another subject can be suggested. This will help keep ideas in an understandable form - and will get points across much better.
I doubt he will stop his "moving target" approach.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
13-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Quote:I don't see subjective morality as an issue. That just means we think about it.
On this forum, sure. In Congress? With the President? Dare I say "slippery slope?"
Quote:Pedophilia is an issue that seems to pop up over and over again in religious communities. It doesn't seem to matter if religion condemns it or not, people behave on their own and act upon their own emotions and instincts.
I would agree except where religious tomes act upon the conscience or inform the conscience.
Quote:Where in the Bible is pedophilia deemed evil by the way?
From memory? The prohibitions against incest in the Law apply to children, but that could be children of any age. I think of Jesus's warnings about causing a child to stumble. Abused children, as we know, grow up to have a host of problems and have to work extra hard--to end the abuse cycle, to overcome guilt and etc.
Found a thought provoking page on this:
http://www.gotquestions.org/pedophilia.html
13-02-2013, 03:41 PM
(13-02-2013 03:38 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I doubt he will stop his "moving target" approach.

Hey, I'm only asking... I lack faith, not hope. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein