Why did God make so many idiots?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2013, 03:44 PM
RE: Why did God make so many idiots?
(13-02-2013 03:40 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Where in the Bible is pedophilia deemed evil by the way?
From memory? The prohibitions against incest in the Law apply to children, but that could be children of any age. I think of Jesus's warnings about causing a child to stumble. Abused children, as we know, grow up to have a host of problems and have to work extra hard--to end the abuse cycle, to overcome guilt and etc.
Found a thought provoking page on this:
http://www.gotquestions.org/pedophilia.html
From your own source: "There is no direct mention in the Bible about pedophilia [...]"

Question answered. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
13-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Quote:I don't see subjective morality as an issue. That just means we think about it.
On this forum, sure. In Congress? With the President? Dare I say "slippery slope?"
Quote:Pedophilia is an issue that seems to pop up over and over again in religious communities. It doesn't seem to matter if religion condemns it or not, people behave on their own and act upon their own emotions and instincts.
I would agree except where religious tomes act upon the conscience or inform the conscience.
From memory? The prohibitions against incest in the Law apply to children, but that could be children of any age. I think of Jesus's warnings about causing a child to stumble. Abused children, as we know, grow up to have a host of problems and have to work extra hard--to end the abuse cycle, to overcome guilt and etc.
The bible (and those alive at the time) had a very different view of what constituted a child from an adult. A bar mitzvah is a jewish boy becoming a man, at 13. The bible does NOT condemn pedophilia is my point.

"On this forum, sure. In Congress? With the President? Dare I say 'slippery slope?' "

You might dare say it but it is still a fallacy. Our laws, rules, and regulations are all based upon subjective and often arbitrary guidelines, but we agree on those guidelines and submit to them in order to live under the same social contract. If they were not subjective and arbitrary, they would be unchangeable and un-amendable.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
13-02-2013, 03:46 PM
(13-02-2013 03:41 PM)kim Wrote:  Hey, I'm only asking... I lack faith , not hope. Wink
Ah, but you have me Tongue
At least for a while.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
13-02-2013, 03:54 PM
(13-02-2013 03:40 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  From memory? The prohibitions against incest in the Law apply to children, but that could be children of any age. I think of Jesus's warnings about causing a child to stumble. Abused children, as we know, grow up to have a host of problems and have to work extra hard--to end the abuse cycle, to overcome guilt and etc.

Your link's first line states there is no mention of pedophilia in the bible and then goes on to talk about "lusts of the flesh". More ass talk. You are so afraid to step away from biblical teaching that you don't seem to be able to think for yourself.

You seem to have placed a book in the place of your own human ability to reason.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
13-02-2013, 03:57 PM
(13-02-2013 03:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(13-02-2013 03:41 PM)kim Wrote:  Hey, I'm only asking... I lack faith , not hope. Wink
Ah, but you have me Tongue
At least for a while.

That's neat; I didn't know that!! Hug

I won't tell her my bitter, ex-mother in law's name was Vera.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-02-2013, 03:59 PM
(13-02-2013 03:10 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Let's say all things being equal chemically is true. If we were animals without a social structure, would anyone deem such actions to be wrong? I have no idea, but it is a mute point as we understand and identify that what we consider pedophilia is wrong. It is a social construct to protect the young from harm. It does not mean that one or both can't expiernece it as love.

We recognize it has more potential for harm than good as those individuals that are not fully cognitively developed are not mature enough to make good decisions about their lives. That does not magically happen with age either. I know plenty of college kids who shouldn't be legally allowed to be considered adults.
Again, ONE honest Atheist on a thread here. "...It is a social construct to protect the young from harm. It does not mean that one or both can't expiernece it [paedophilia] as love."
Quote:We recognize it has more potential for harm than good as those individuals that are not fully cognitively developed are not mature enough to make good decisions about their lives.
Bing! Yes. So you agree the chemicals involved are the same as for paedophiles and rapists as for consenting adults and horny teens.
No, I don't agree. There are different mechanisms for lust, aggression/dominance, romantic love, and so on. You are over-simplifying. On purpose, I think.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:I don't see subjective morality as an issue. That just means we think about it.
On this forum, sure. In Congress? With the President? Dare I say "slippery slope?"
Quote:Pedophilia is an issue that seems to pop up over and over again in religious communities. It doesn't seem to matter if religion condemns it or not, people behave on their own and act upon their own emotions and instincts.
I would agree except where religious tomes act upon the conscience or inform the conscience.

You are conflating incest with pedophilia. These are not the same thing.

Try to be clear - you are constantly muddying the waters.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2013, 04:05 PM
(13-02-2013 03:57 PM)kim Wrote:  I won't tell her my bitter, ex-mother in law's name was Vera.
Weeping

Ah, but mine's pronounced differently. And I ain't bitter... maybe sour-sweet, but definitely not bitter.
[Image: spk1.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
13-02-2013, 04:05 PM
(13-02-2013 02:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Did KC just school Mr. Context about context?
I just get skipped over, apparently.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Re: Why did God make so many idiots?
Even when acknowledged, half of what is said is skipped over.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley