Why did God make so many idiots?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2013, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2013 01:08 PM by kim.)
RE: Why did God make so many idiots?
(14-02-2013 12:30 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Is it such an impossibility to retain faith for a concept, which upon examination seems, at least in part, quite silly? Is this not the very responsibility of faith; to retain a modicum of faith in the face of impossibility?
I hear what you're saying and I know it's tiring when Christian keep pushing that faith is based at its heart on evidence. But when someone says to me, "C'mon, have a little faith in me..." aren't they really saying, "Please continue to trust in me because you know I'm trustworthy."
Trusting in Jesus is reasonable because He is trustworthy.

Place your trust in yourself. You are the one participating in discussion here.

Contrary to... what I can only surmise to be, your presumption, one can discuss and argue biblical scripture and keep their faith. Biblical scholars do it all the time. Jews who created it in the first place, came to write it by laying aside their own faith. A great majority of biblical text was written to lay down the laws for the Jewish people. There is a clear difference between the law of man and the law of god.

true story Drinking Beverage

By the way... atheists lay aside their unbelief quite often ... to empathize, examine, speculate, and gain understanding in discussion. But uh... you are on an atheist forum... so, uh... yea, some may feel free here to... let loose. Venom has been a two way experience.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I love quoting from Deuteronomy too! In fact it may be my favorite book, there are just so many cool and inspirational teachings in there such as:

Regarding genitals and worship

He that
is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter
into the congregation of the Lord.

Deuteronomy 23:1

Regarding servants/slaves

16 But if your servant says to you,
“I do not want to leave you,” because he loves you and your family and is well
off with you, 17
then take an awl and push it through his earlobe into the door, and he will
become your servant for life. Do the same for your female servant.

Deuteronomy 15:16-17

Regarding war

16 However, in the cities of the
nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive
anything that breathes.

Deuteronomy 20:16

Note: on the occasions you come across cities in nations not given to you then keep the
virgins and oxen and kill everything else, no need for waste you know, much more practical and loving.

Regarding sex

23 If a man happens to meet in a
town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to
the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was
in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another
man’s wife.

Deuteronomy 22:23-24

Just makes me warm and fuzzy all over!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
14-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Why did you have to put the genitals thing first? Dodgy I nearly spit my coffee on the screen.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
14-02-2013, 01:19 PM
(14-02-2013 01:14 PM)kim Wrote:  Why did you have to put the genitals thing first?
Ah, Kimmie, you, too, like to leave the best for last, eh? Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
14-02-2013, 01:40 PM
(14-02-2013 01:14 PM)kim Wrote:  Why did you have to put the genitals thing first? Dodgy I nearly spit my coffee on the screen.
Laughat

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
14-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Quote:What is it you are learning? What was your goal to learn?
I read a few posts and decided to join. I could see from those few posts two main things:
1. The freethinkers here on this forum by and large are far better educated and more intelligent than the ones I see offline in my local community.
2. The freethinkers here seemed (still seem) very tolerant and respectful of others' beliefs, including Christians.
Those two together seemed like a great combination for learning more and studying more. I'm not "done" and if someone can show why Atheism is more valid than what I believe, I'll join. Same for other religions or Agnosticism, too.
14-02-2013, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2013 03:02 PM by Vosur.)
(14-02-2013 02:33 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I'm not "done" and if someone can show why Atheism is more valid than what I believe, I'll join. Same for other religions or Agnosticism, too.
With all due respect, I doubt that anyone is going to spend his time trying to convert you. That's not how we roll. Wink

Edit: By the way, I welcome you to stay here as long as you respect my freedom from religion as much as I respect your freedom of religion.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
14-02-2013, 03:14 PM
(14-02-2013 02:33 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
I read a few posts and decided to join. I could see from those few posts two main things:
1. The freethinkers here on this forum by and large are far better educated and more intelligent than the ones I see offline in my local community.
2. The freethinkers here seemed (still seem) very tolerant and respectful of others' beliefs, including Christians.
Those two together seemed like a great combination for learning more and studying more. I'm not "done" and if someone can show why Atheism is more valid than what I believe, I'll join. Same for other religions or Agnosticism, too.
Shhh...you had me at freethinker.

Anyway you can't exactly join... only de-convert.

14-02-2013, 03:39 PM
(14-02-2013 02:33 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
1) It depends on your local community but your sample set here is composed of various nationalities too. I am imagine those in your local community are not necessarily less educated, but less interested in discussion about it. They have therefore thought about it less and are not as aptly prepared to discuss it in an intelligible way.

2) Most of us are tolerant of others beliefs, as long as we are not asked to believe the same things or are not asked to abide by the rules set up by other people's religious beliefs. And as long as we are not asked to accept anything as true based on religious precepts or religious reasoning (i.e. faith).

And I am sure someone here may have an interest in de-converting you or turning you on to atheism, but I have no such interests. I am not of the opinion that anyone converts to or from any religious opinion because of anybody else. It is only that individual who is in control of it. It is inevitable that you will walk away from every discussion here a chrisitian. Your beliefs may be challenged, but the only person in control of what you believe and what you stop believing is you. You are the only one in your own way.

I think beliefs can be surmised into 3 categories
1) What you say you believe
2) What you want to believe
3) What you actually believe

A child can say they believe in Santa. They write the letter, sit on his lap, and tell their parents what they asked Santa for. They can want to believe in Santa. I mean, who wouldn't? But what they actually believe is not determined by 1 or 2. And for some people (I want to say a lot but I don't know that, I just know this is true for me), 1 and 2 are used as a way of avoiding #3. Like I said in my deconversion synopsis. I wanted to believe, and I said I did. But when I actually sat down and was honest with my myself about what I did and did not believe, I found I had been lying to myself.

So, you are christian. You proclaim that title and its merit cannot be disputed. You will continue to be one as long as christianity is what you actually believe and not just what you say and want to believe.

Every day when you walk away from the forums, ask yourself the question "Do I believe in God?" No one here has any influence on that answer, only you.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
14-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Quote:I think beliefs can be surmised into 3 categories
1) What you say you believe
2) What you want to believe
3) What you actually believe
I agree and with most of the rest of the post. I'm trying to do what you said and ask myself some tough questions and challenges. Thanks.