• 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2013, 03:52 PM
RE: Why did God make so many idiots?
(14-02-2013 03:48 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:I think beliefs can be surmised into 3 categories
1) What you say you believe
2) What you want to believe
3) What you actually believe
I agree and with most of the rest of the post. I'm trying to do what you said and ask myself some tough questions and challenges. Thanks.
You are still missing part of the point I think. Don't do it because I say it or suggest it. Do it if it makes sense to you. If it doesn't make sense, ask why and then start there. You will inevitably reason yourself into a position where you find your true answer to number 3. The answer is irrelevant as far as I am concerned. I don't care what you believe. I would just rather everyone keep their beliefs out of public policy and out of my life. But perhaps more importantly, be okay with discussing it and NOT just taking offense at every little thing that is said.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
14-02-2013, 04:12 PM
(14-02-2013 02:33 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  ... if someone can show why Atheism is more valid than what I believe, I'll join. Same for other religions or Agnosticism, too.

There is nothing to join. Taking up the position of atheist or agnostic has nothing to do with some commitment to a faith.
The position of the atheist is the reasoned doubt that no supernatural being is responsible for or governs life.
The position of the agnostic is that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of a supernatural being or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in a supernatural being.

You misunderstand if you think it's easy... for some people here who grew up with lives steeped in faith, the shedding of it was as traumatic as peeling an entire layer of skin. However, relief is worth the pain.

Those who pretend to faith are most often those who struggle with the faithless. Leave them be.
Since even your own position of faith seems to elude your understanding, best to keep your faith.
And the best way to do that, is by leaving it at the door and opening yourself up to compassionately understand others' positions.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-02-2013, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2013 05:11 PM by kingschosen.)
(14-02-2013 12:48 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Deuteronomy 30:19 This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.

I'm apprehensive about even getting into this because I feel like I'm going to be wasting my time... but here goes.

Your aforementioned verses do not show freewill. They show a perception of human choice. The verses I referenced display concrete data on God choosing and how choice is rendered by Him.

Your examples are one human communicating to other humans about their choices. This is where the theology comes into play.

Our choices are given to us by God; therefore, we perceive them as OUR choices, when in reality, they were already predestined.

As it says in Philippians 2:13:
13 for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

God is author of our desires... our choices.

Quote:I don't want to waste your time, but I'm sure you've already heard re: Pharoah that the Hebrew is better rendered "testing" Pharoah's heart.

No it's not.

In fact, the Hebrew is very specific. The form of the word means (in a bad sense) to grow stout, rigid, hard, with idea of perversity (search "Exodus 9" on that link for reference).

Quote:And I don't want to frustrate you but verses like John 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.
remind me of John 12:32 But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself."

Ummm, no. Not what the Greek says. In your verse that you referenced, the form of "pas" that is used is "pantas". This word means "every class or type of men". Now look at the context of the verses starting at v20. Greeks were seeking Christ and were in mixed company with Jews. When God spoke and all heard, Jesus acknowledge that His sacrifice isn't just for the Jews but also the Greeks. The context and wording is very clear.

Salvation for peoples other than Jews was a common discussion during that time... as the Jews that it was only for them.

Moreover, there is a Greek word for an all encompassing "all". Jesus does not use this word; rather, He uses the word that means "all types".

Quote:But if you are one of the believing ones who trusts the Lord, and you certainly sound like you are, we are brethren and can get back soon to rebuking the infidels (in love!) I hope. Jesus bless you.

I don't rebuke "infidels". Per scripture, I've only been given authority to rebuke believers that aren't in accordance to scripture. It's God's job to rebuke unbelievers... not mine.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
14-02-2013, 05:12 PM
(14-02-2013 05:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't rebuke "infidels". Per scripture, I've only been given authority to rebuke believers that aren't in accordance to scripture. It's God's job to rebuke unbelievers... not mine.

Pssst... think he'll figure it out, Kingsy? Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-02-2013, 05:14 PM
(14-02-2013 01:10 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I love quoting from Deuteronomy too! In fact it may be my favorite book, there are just so many cool and inspirational teachings in there such as:

Regarding genitals and worship

He that
is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter
into the congregation of the Lord.

Deuteronomy 23:1

Regarding servants/slaves

16 But if your servant says to you,
“I do not want to leave you,” because he loves you and your family and is well
off with you, 17
then take an awl and push it through his earlobe into the door, and he will
become your servant for life. Do the same for your female servant.

Deuteronomy 15:16-17

Regarding war

16 However, in the cities of the
nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive
anything that breathes.

Deuteronomy 20:16

Note: on the occasions you come across cities in nations not given to you then keep the
virgins and oxen and kill everything else, no need for waste you know, much more practical and loving.

Regarding sex

23 If a man happens to meet in a
town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to
the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was
in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another
man’s wife.

Deuteronomy 22:23-24

Just makes me warm and fuzzy all over!

Good prioritization, not to mention a concern for the aged poor vision males, where the former is but a pipe dream..
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
14-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Yeah, but being rebuked by KC sounds much more fun Cool

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
14-02-2013, 05:17 PM
(14-02-2013 12:48 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  But if you are one of the believing ones who trusts the Lord, and you certainly sound like you are, we are brethren and can get back soon to rebuking the infidels (in love!) I hope. Jesus bless you.

eeeeech.... talk about taking the lord's name in vain. Angel

14-02-2013, 05:17 PM
(14-02-2013 05:12 PM)kim Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 05:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't rebuke "infidels". Per scripture, I've only been given authority to rebuke believers that aren't in accordance to scripture. It's God's job to rebuke unbelievers... not mine.

Pssst... think he'll figure it out, Kingsy? Wink
Even a blind squirrel will find a nut Wink

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
14-02-2013, 05:19 PM
(14-02-2013 05:14 PM)Vera Wrote:  Yeah, but being rebuked by KC sounds much more fun Cool
I always feel much worse when K.C rebukes me Unsure
14-02-2013, 05:23 PM
(14-02-2013 05:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 05:12 PM)kim Wrote:  Pssst... think he'll figure it out, Kingsy? Wink
Even a blind squirrel will find a nut Wink

Maybe.
So far, all I'm seeing is the convoluted nut he's been chewing on and I'm pretty sure he didn't find it himself; someone fed it to him. Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like kim's post