Why did God make so many idiots?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2013, 04:39 PM
RE: AW: Why did God make so many idiots?
Problem with the bus analogy is that I would actually see and know, firsthand, about the bus incident. It's more like this:

*knock knock*

"Wha? It's 10 AM, I just barely got to sleep after my graveyard shift.... who are you people? What do you want?"

"We're here to tell you about our brother, and how you're an awful person for not believing he saved you from being run over by a bus!"

"You're broth... wait, what? No one ever saved me from a bus. I think I'd remember that.... was it when I was a baby or something?"

"No! It happened years and years and years before you were born! Centuries!"

"Then... wait... how could I have been saved from... I wasn't born yet!"

"You're denying that you were saved from a bus? Ingrate! Our brother died for you!"

"BUSSES DIDN'T EXIST CENTURIES AGO! Oh wait that'd be using the analogy in a fallacious manner ignore that sentence. HOW COULD HE HAVE DIED FOR ME BEFORE ANYONE COULD HAVE KNOWN I WOULD EXIST?"

"Dude, because he's all-knowing! Duh."

"And why was the bus trying to run me over, anyway?"

"Oh, that. Our brother was driving it trying to run you over for something your great-great-great-whatever parents did. Original sin. Something about an apple."

".... wait. Your brother saved me from your brother, being in two spots at the same time?"

"Or maybe it was Our Father driving the bus. We're a bit fuzzy on that point."

"But... how was I saved from a bus if I wasn't alive yet?"

"Oh, it was really more a policy thing. Our Father (yes, let's stick to that, it makes more sense) would be smacking every last one of us with that bus TO THIS VERY DAY if our brother hadn't stopped him. By getting smacked by a bus."

".... okay, so you're telling me... and this is news to me, by the way... that I and everyone else WOULD have been creamed by a bus driven by your dad, except your brother got creamed instead, so that somehow stopped Daddy from hitting everyone else with a bus?"

"Yeah!"

"And this happened centuries ago? Your brother died centuries ago and you're here only just now? The details of your bother being born centuries ago seem a bit implausible."

"Dude, metaphor again, you don't question it."

"Even outside the metaphor, the details of that birth seem implausible."

"Don't question it."

"Okay, okay, fine. Not questioning it. So... okay, if it happened, I'd be grateful. Sure. But I don't believe it happened. Not on your say-so."

"INGRATE!"

"Look, you're asking me to swallow a really weird story here that sounds totally out of line with what I know about the world and you haven't offered me any real proof of it. That's not ingratitude, that's just skepticism."

"We have this book!"

"A book."

"Yeah! We recorded everything in it! Well, we assembled it in a convention from best recollections and partial accounts a couple centuries after our brother got hit by the bus. Kind of the best recollections. They were totally consistent, you see, because everyone who remembered things differently were excluded and then hunted down as heretics. Then we entrusted its maintenance to a bunch of scribes who are documented as having added to it after the fact (though we don't admit that), and a church that was riddled with corruption, graft, and general bloody-handedness that flew in the face of everything the book says in the first place. But we ignore that too. EXCEPT that eventually we stop ignoring that and made our own translations which corrected all the non-existent flaws -- Praise King Jimmy! -- that the blood-thirsty, graft-ridden, corrupt church put into it, by instead putting its translation into the hands of the corrupt, graft-ridden appointees of the crown of England! Only if you don't like that translation you can have thousands of others!"

*leaf leaf leaf* "Wait, this thing is full of inconsist... there are TWO DIFFERENT ACCOUNTS of Creation! One talks about original blessing, not original sin! How am I supposed to believe this?"

"Dude! You aren't supposed to read the book! It's proof, not reading material!"

"... okay, okay. If it gets you to go away. IF it's true, THEN I'm grateful. Happy?"

"NO! That's not gratitude! You have to also sing praises to Our Father!"

"The bus-driving maniac who was going to vehicular-manslaughter the entire planet for something our distant ancestors might or might not have done, depending on which version of Creation you read?"

"Yes!"

"... did I mention how I really have no belief, at all, that it went down the way you said it went down?"

"Also, you have to give us 10% of your money. For life."

"..."

"Also, we've got this list of pre-approved sexual positions. Basically, anything other than missionary position with someone of the opposite gender whom you're married to is bad. Do you masturbate?"

*door-slam*

"INGRATE!"

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Reltzik's post
11-02-2013, 05:22 PM
RE: Why did God make so many idiots?
Pretty much every thread with PJ on it ends up like this:
PleaseJesus: There's loads of evidence for my religion and Atheists are too stupid to ask for it!
Atheists: Ok where is it?
PleaseJesus: You're all wrong and going to hell!
Atheists: About that evidence you were talking about . . .
*PleaseJesus presents a hack job straw man that has nothing to do with the original argument*
Atheists: What the fuck was that o.0 And didn't you mention the word evidence at some point?
PleaseJesus: Look at all these things I'm right about!
Atheists: That made no sense whatsoever o.0
PleaseJesus: You Atheists ignore all the evidence! You close your minds to the possibility of it's very existence!
Atheists: What evidence would that be then?
PleaseJesus: You're all going to hell!

Repeat ad nauseam.
[+] 3 users Like hedgehog648's post
11-02-2013, 05:30 PM
(11-02-2013 01:46 PM)Zat Wrote:  Why did God make so many idiots?

Watching intelligent people wouldn't be very entertaining.

There aren't really any reality television shows that I can think of where a guy, or girl, sits in a room for an entire episode, and ends with them saying, "Aha!"...."Well, no, maybe not".

If you think watching C-SPAN for a day would be boring, imagine what God would have had to go through with all smart people. He just needed one or two to discover better ways to blow shit up, so he could then watch the stupid people try it out.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
[+] 4 users Like TrulyX's post
11-02-2013, 05:37 PM
(11-02-2013 02:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 02:36 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Straw man. THAT is not the "choice". You make it sound like a lack of feeling drives one to be lost.

Try:

A person presents themselves to me as an amorous (in the agape sense) stranger. They then step in front of a bus, pushing me out of the way, proclaiming their love for me, and saying as final words, "Now make your life count, bro!"

Then I spend the next 20 years on forums decrying their love for me, saying I'm better than them, smarter than them, don't need them, and they never even existed. The bus coming to kill me was all in someone's imagination, etc.

Then the stranger's brothers come to me, begging, pleading, praying, helping, serving. I tell them all to go jump in a lake. I say the brothers have no right to grieve for the lost brother or to celebrate his life. I assault their senses with vicious attacks. I call them every name under the sun. The brothers than try to continue to win me over with their (admittedly finite) logic, with love, with prayer, with gifts.

I'm not suprised when a Christian says, "What else could Jesus do?"

Well, the bus is, in fact, in your imagination. No one died to save my life.

Chas, Chas, Chas... tsk tsk, let me see if I can explain it to you.

There's this bus, see? The bus was built by Trinity Autowerks outside of Detroit, but that's beside the point. Anyway this bus is being driven by the President of Trinity (he built the company from scratch you know) and he is known to have quite the temper and is a bit of a megalomaniac.

He is behind the wheel becase he is having a fit of rage at the moment. Why? Becuase he is under the impression that the workers have been questioning his authority and throwing keg parties during working hours.

Meanwhile, the apparent heir to the company, his son who he had out of wedlock (think Arnold Schwarzengger without Maria Shr...actually with a Maria! different last names of course) sees his dad barreling down the assembly line at the workers. So he stands in front of the uncoming bus hoping the crazy, old fart hits the brakes. But no! Fucker runs right over the kid.

Back at the police station the old man is doing his best to spin the whole incident. Says he was just testing out the new model when the brakes gave out, he never meant to run over anyone, he loves his employees and that the kid was a hero for saving the lives of so many of them.

A monument is erected in front of Trinity Autowerks (two mangled bus axles in the shape of an X) where once a week workers lay flowers.

The End.

Now go to sleep.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
11-02-2013, 05:40 PM
(11-02-2013 05:30 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 01:46 PM)Zat Wrote:  Why did God make so many idiots?

Watching intelligent people wouldn't be very entertaining.

There aren't really any reality television shows that I can think of where a guy, or girl, sits in a room for an entire episode, and ends with them saying, "Aha!"...."Well, no, maybe not".

If you think watching C-SPAN for a day would be boring, imagine what God would have had to go through with all smart people. He just needed one or two to discover better ways to blow shit up, so he could then watch the stupid people try it out.

I have one word for you...Mythbusters!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
11-02-2013, 05:48 PM
(11-02-2013 05:30 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  If you think watching C-SPAN for a day would be boring, imagine what God would have had to go through with all smart people. He just needed one or two to discover better ways to blow shit up, so he could then watch the stupid people try it out.
.... I can't follow your analogy. Are you saying the people on C-SPAN are NOT idiots?

Not. NOT. Hrrrrmm. Gimme a moment, I'm still processing this.

ADDENDUM: Also, new answer to OP, idiots don't come up with things like the theory of evolution.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
11-02-2013, 06:41 PM
(11-02-2013 05:48 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  ADDENDUM: Also, new answer to OP, idiots don't come up with things like the theory of evolution.
This should be an answer to PJ:

(11-02-2013 02:14 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  "Why did God allow so many people the free will to act like idiots?"
I've often thought that when reading Voltaire, Shaw or Darwin.
12-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Maybe God made so many idiots to shame the pridefully "wise".
Quote:But could you, if you tried, really believe in Santa Claus?

I'm sure that you cannot.

What if you met someone today, a grown man, who really truly believes in Santa Claus. He tries desperately to convince you. He offers a book that says Santa Claus is real. He tells you testimony of how he knows, in his heart, that Santa Claus is real. Would that convince you?

No, of course not.

You just simply don't believe, and for you to begin believing, you will need much more proof than some old book and someone else's testimony.
Well, the thing is that Santa Claus COULD be real, COULD exist. And before you throw the fact that his sled could not exceed light speed in my face, the Santa Claus mythos is based on some real persons and real ideas and ideologies, just as Valentine's Day comes from St. Valentinus and etc.
So, maybe we should change this thread to "PleaseJesus will prove to everyone that God exists as soon as they prove to him the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not exist." I mean, I've seen a thousand posts about the FSM! It must be based on reality. What will Internet users think 1,000 years from now?!
12-02-2013, 09:03 AM
(12-02-2013 08:17 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Maybe God made so many idiots to shame the pridefully "wise".
Quote:But could you, if you tried, really believe in Santa Claus?

I'm sure that you cannot.

What if you met someone today, a grown man, who really truly believes in Santa Claus. He tries desperately to convince you. He offers a book that says Santa Claus is real. He tells you testimony of how he knows, in his heart, that Santa Claus is real. Would that convince you?

No, of course not.

You just simply don't believe, and for you to begin believing, you will need much more proof than some old book and someone else's testimony.
Well, the thing is that Santa Claus COULD be real, COULD exist. And before you throw the fact that his sled could not exceed light speed in my face, the Santa Claus mythos is based on some real persons and real ideas and ideologies, just as Valentine's Day comes from St. Valentinus and etc.
So, maybe we should change this thread to "PleaseJesus will prove to everyone that God exists as soon as they prove to him the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not exist." I mean, I've seen a thousand posts about the FSM! It must be based on reality. What will Internet users think 1,000 years from now?!

So what you're saying is, that Santa could be real, but probably isn't because the evidence doesn't support it. Because we know that the stories are exaggerated copies of earlier tales that might have a shred of truth to them, but no longer resemble the originals. So we shouldn't believe in Santa, let alone worship him, because there isn't enough evidence to support that conclusion.

This is what John W. Loftus calls the 'Outsider's Test of Faith', and you have failed it miserably. You have failed to apply the same level of credulity and skepticism to your own faith that you applied to Santa Claus. That is not intellectually honest, nor rationally defensible.

Once you truly understand why you don't believe in Santa Claus, and apply that to your own faith, will you then understand why we don't believe in your yours.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-02-2013, 09:39 AM
(12-02-2013 08:17 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  It must be based on reality.
Exactly.

Probably that is why god made so many stupid people so unreality would have some believers too. Smile