Why did god create diseases?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2014, 08:29 AM
RE: Why did god create diseases?
It's our fault. We sinned and this introduced a cancer into this perfect creation that is responsible for and capable of:
* Turning vegetarian animals into meat eaters
* Turning harmless microbes into vicious germs. Somehow including viruses I guess, which before "the fall" must have reproduced without needing to infect host cells? I dunno. Maybe they "spun off" from perfect creation after sin started rather than existing originally.
* Causing our own mental disorders
* Causing natural disasters of all kinds
* Not causing, but justifying any apparently evil acts of the creator god such as genocide

Oh, and we caused our own sin. It wasn't part of the original creation. It was due to our free will, a necessary component of creation that only resulted in all this due to our wilful disobedience.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2014, 08:30 AM
It's because man is in a fallen state, there was no disease before.....

Nope can't do it. Can't finish typing the rest of the typical theist BS.

I'll wait for someone that actually believes that crap. Calling Drich....
15-02-2014, 08:36 AM
(15-02-2014 08:29 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  It's our fault. We sinned and this introduced a cancer into this perfect creation that is responsible for and capable of:
* Turning vegetarian animals into meat eaters
* Turning harmless microbes into vicious germs. Somehow including viruses I guess, which before "the fall" must have reproduced without needing to infect host cells? I dunno. Maybe they "spun off" from perfect creation after sin started rather than existing originally.
* Causing our own mental disorders
* Causing natural disasters of all kinds
* Not causing, but justifying any apparently evil acts of the creator god such as genocide

Oh, and we caused our own sin. It wasn't part of the original creation. It was due to our free will, a necessary component of creation that only resulted in all this due to our wilful disobedience.
Are you serious?
15-02-2014, 08:53 AM
I'm serious that that's a summary of arguments I've heard from theists, and in particular young earth creationists.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
15-02-2014, 08:55 AM
(15-02-2014 08:53 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I'm serious that that's a summary of arguments I've heard from theists, and in particular young earth creationists.

Ah ok cause I thought you were a theist. Well I still want to know why some people suffer more then others.
15-02-2014, 09:03 AM
You might find a more satisfactory answer on a Christian forum

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
15-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Ok I'm fully armed and about to enter theist lair.
15-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Re: RE: Why did god create diseases?
(15-02-2014 08:55 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 08:53 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I'm serious that that's a summary of arguments I've heard from theists, and in particular young earth creationists.

Ah ok cause I thought you were a theist. Well I still want to know why some people suffer more then others.

Mysterious ways and trails and tribulations.

You won't get many straight answers other that things that sum up to that. Maybe other children are punished for their parents transgressions if it's a person who really sticks to old school religious explanations.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-02-2014, 09:46 AM
(15-02-2014 09:16 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Ok I'm fully armed and about to enter theist lair.

You can be armed to the teeth and one of them will still throw a grenade. Big Grin Enter at your own risk.

It's what was already said, basically: Original sin and everything that happened in Eden. Now everyone suffers and has to work for their food. The snakes didn't even make it out of that deal without getting burned, actually. Now every snake has to crawl on it's belly because that first talking snake was a dick and tempted Eve. "God hates people AND snakes" is pretty much the moral of the story. Thumbsup

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
15-02-2014, 10:03 AM
(15-02-2014 07:47 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Very simple question. Why did god create diseases. Not just cancer but mental illness as well. He could make us perfectly healthy and immune. But he didn't. Why?

Because of this:
(15-02-2014 08:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Simpler answer: he doesn't exist.

On a side note, this is very similar to a thread I've been toying with for the last two days, but haven't posted due to laziness. Damn you, Borderlands! I'll have some time to formulate my thoughts while I'm hacking at ice this afternoon...