Why did god create diseases?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2014, 11:48 AM
RE: Why did god create diseases?
(15-02-2014 11:44 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 11:41 AM)donotwant Wrote:  I got no idea so I want you to tell me.

Sin. all three are directly relatable to sin. (some more than others)

where sin abounds, death follows. not as a punishment persay, but as a result/direct consenquence.

Except it seems to be the less religious a country is the higher their collected lifespan so... Fail.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2014, 12:12 PM
(15-02-2014 10:09 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 07:47 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Very simple question. Why did god create diseases. Not just cancer but mental illness as well. He could make us perfectly healthy and immune. But he didn't. Why?
Disease,
Population control.

Mental illness, probably isn't what you think it is. Science can tell us how mental illness works, but not the why.

Population control - is that your best response? Where is the support behind that excuse? That is fucked up, and even more fucked that you worship a phsychotic tyrant and are proud to defend him.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
15-02-2014, 12:27 PM
God didn't do that. Pandora did when she opened the box and let the ills into the world.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-02-2014, 12:29 PM
(15-02-2014 12:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  God didn't do that. Pandora did when she opened the box and let the ills into the world.

Yeah and who created the pandora box with it's contents? *drums*
15-02-2014, 12:31 PM
(15-02-2014 12:29 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 12:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  God didn't do that. Pandora did when she opened the box and let the ills into the world.

Yeah and who created the pandora box with it's contents? *drums*

Dr Suess?

15-02-2014, 12:33 PM
(15-02-2014 12:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 12:29 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Yeah and who created the pandora box with it's contents? *drums*

Dr Suess?

That is way too fucked up for me.
15-02-2014, 12:35 PM
(15-02-2014 11:44 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 11:41 AM)donotwant Wrote:  I got no idea so I want you to tell me.

Sin. all three are directly relatable to sin. (some more than others)

where sin abounds, death follows. not as a punishment persay, but as a result/direct consenquence.

How about where sin doesn't 'abound', people still get sick, how does that work?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
15-02-2014, 12:39 PM
(15-02-2014 12:33 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 12:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Dr Suess?

That is way too fucked up for me.

Technically it wasn't a box at all. It was a jar. Pandora was technically the first woman created by the gods. Prometheus had stolen fire from heaven, so Zeus sent her to his brother with the jar. I don't really recall the point of all that but I do recall Pandora was worried that she'd be punished by Zeus when she disobeyed him. He didn't tho, since he knew she'd open it all along.

15-02-2014, 12:52 PM
(15-02-2014 12:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 11:44 AM)Drich Wrote:  Sin. all three are directly relatable to sin. (some more than others)

How about where sin doesn't 'abound', people still get sick, how does that work?

And is not a consequence for doing something bad technically a punishment? I just love how meanings and context are twisted so readily by believers.Rolleyes

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
15-02-2014, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2014 06:18 AM by Baruch.)
(15-02-2014 08:29 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Ok so some people suffer more from diseases then others. How does god decide who should suffer more? Or is it random?

Diseases are not random.
I am unlikely to get malaria if I stay in the United Kingdom (0% risk).
on the other hand living in Chad, Niger or Mozambique you are far more likely.
~Every 45 seconds a child dies of malaria - clearly this is not evenly distributed across the world and geography, particularly the tropics are much more effected.

see
http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause...y-country/

From an evolutionary perspective malaria distribution is easy to explain based on the ecology of the plasmodium protozoa, anopheles mosquitos and tasty human hosts available.
From a theistic "personal God" perspective this is impossible to explain other than "God works in mysterious ways" (or is a fucking asshole)

Traditional "Theodicy" explanations all lack any rational coherence.
Eg
1. Original sin: Oh only the tropics get effected by this - seems somewhat disproportionate and random. The concept of original sin is nonsense anyway considering innocent people are punished for a crime they didn't commit.

2. Free will: This is a "natural evil" and hardly to do with human choice - millions of people die and very few choose to live in Malaria prone areas or can leave. Perhaps we do have free will where to go on holiday or to take the malaria meds but the medication doesn't always work.

[b]3. Satan is in charge.[/b] Well then God does jack shit to control Satan which makes God weak and negligent. (if God cannot control Satan due to free will then God creates a situation which He cannot control = negligent barbarism)

4. Alla's responses about "malaria is good for us so we can progress as a species" Clearly this is a pathetic response (not Alleh personally but the response given) and has been much criticized on another thread (multiple threads) see
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ome-across thread.

5. Sin: What sins did those children dying every 45 seconds do ? Clearly geographic location is far more important that any individual or collective moral behaviour.

6. Religious choice: Doesn't make a difference - some of the countries affected are mainly Christian, others Islamic others tribal pagans - really doesn't matter.

Pandora box like explanations: These try to get God of the hook by creating some fatalistic diversion which God could not prevent or have control over - similar to the satan approach above. (different in that Satan is an agent whils Pandora box is a fatalistic determinism which isn't a Christian doctrine but from Greek mythology) Then again Christianity incorporated some Greek mythology and adapted it to its system.

Perhaps God hates blacks, hates the tropics or just doesn't care.

The secular explanations from the sciences & sociology is clearly a better explanation than God or any theism.

This alone is a powerful argument against the existence of any "personal" God from any religion.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post