Why did you get an atheist ?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-03-2010, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2010 09:31 AM by Germanatheist007.)
Why did you get an atheist ?
Hi, i think most of you are atheists^^, but why?

My parents let me chose my religion because they´re atheists. They never said to me that i have to belief in something or not, but in the end atheism was the only thing that seemed logical to me. I don´t know, church never meant anything to me. And by the way, all of my relatives who are atheists are pretty intelligent. My aunt is a doctor in chemistry and earns a lot of money while her husband (who´s an atheist too) is a high ranked engineer and so was my mom (´till she met my father). All of my aunts and uncles studied and all of them are atheists^^. My sister who has an IQ of about 150 (or even higher we don´t know exactly, she´s studieng with the best marks) means, that religion is just about the dumbest thing she ever heard of. My brother who has also a very high IQ has the same opinion. The only real religous person in my whole family is my 80 years old mentally ill, confused gandma who was told to belief in god by her parents every day.

So i think for me it was a very simple decision

But many people are bothering me.
"yes, but what if you are wrong, why don´t you just belief in god you have nothing to lose"

Now first of all i could lose my self and my common sense
Second: religion goes against everything i belief in (evolution, that fairy tales aren´t true, that people are dead when they die, etc.)
and last but not least i want to quote Edmund Burke

"The evil can triumph, if the good is doing nothing"

and in my eyes religion is about the most evil thing ever existed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2010, 06:12 PM

RE: Why did you get an atheist ?
My parents are both PhD's. Although they exposed me to church for the educational value, they never pretended that there was any validity to religious belief. They just wanted me to see how other people view reality and get a sense of why the world is the way that it is. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go to deny reality.
Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I was raised Roman Catholic, but sometime around age thirteen I realized that I had never really started to believe in the first place. If I ever believed, it was while I was too young to remember it.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Same as you, I was raised by atheists and had no religious input from them. Funny thing, the existence of god seems obvious only to those who were raised to believe so.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
27-03-2010, 10:17 PM

I stopped believing about 15 years ago. I had always been attracted to science and its explanation for a lot of things in this world. It was when I tried to reconcile the two that it came to me that religion was just a big crock of somethin' somethin'.

I was raised Orthodox Christian, but even saying that, my attendance to church was only on the special days (Easter, Christmas, weddings, baptisms, etc). The language spoken in the church was not English, so I didn't understand a single word (I wonder if I HAD actually understood, whether I would still be a Christian today or if my conversion to Atheism would have been expedited).

My IQ is 133. Not sure what this means amongst my family members. I am the most educated person on my father's side, so maybe there is some correlation between education and Atheism.

I just don't see any reason to believe in this superstition anymore. The more I research religion (its roots, the historicity of Jesus, the bible, etc.), the more I confirm my position as an Atheist. Not that I have doubts...part of it is research to debate more effectively, part of it is finding out and confirming that my position is the right one, that Christians (and others) have been lied to for 2000 years.

I'm still waiting for archaeologists to uncover the 'smoking gun' that'll put this belief system to rest once and for all (I'm confident that it'll be found...one day. Smile)
27-03-2010, 11:41 PM

I was raised a Methodist by my mom and dad. Attended church on Sundays, went to youth group, prayed, and all that good stuff. I always had a fascination with astronomy, biology, mystery and just finding things out in general as a child. The reason for my conversion was that I was pretty much doing the equation in my head and 2+x=2. I had myself convinced that x=1, but it just didn't add up. After pondering for quite some time, I realized that x, what I found to be religion, was actually 0. This realization changed my complete thought process so that now 2+0=2. Things started making more sense and my life started going uphill from there since I could now think clearly without the raincloud of religion hindering my view. I can remember my last prayer at the age of 11. It went "I feel very foolish doing this, but God, if you want me to believe in you, make it just a little bit more apparent that you exist. Thanks."
28-03-2010, 07:02 AM
My parents were never truly religious. My mom does tend to say things like "Go with god", or "God help you" etc. and I know she and my grandmother pray at night, but I think that religion was for them part of a tradition. I say this because here, in Romania, where I live, the Orthodox church is an overwhelming majority, and usually people declare themselves to be Christian Orthodox, even if they don't really attend church or have any obvious or strong beliefs. It's only a social convention, nothing more. However, saying you are an atheist would cause many to frown upon you, simply because you stray from the 'common' path. It's stupid and hypocritical , I know, but unfortunately that's how some people are.

When I was little I had a fascination for religion. I read of all those wonderful things promised to those who 'believe' without questioning and love god and Jesus unconditionally. I can't say I was necessarily indoctrinated, more likely I forced the belief upon myself, because I wanted to go to heaven. Then, in primary school, I had this teacher of religion and she was very zealous, very adept with emotional persuasion. I remember being in tears after her classes when she told us how much Jesus had suffered and how much we should love him for that.

Then in high school, biology and evolutionary science were never taught seriously, so I didn't give it a thought. In fact I'm not sure whether I stopped believing because I realized that it contradicted science. In fact, that only dawned on me later. It just occurred to me that if there was truly a god out there, then he must have made his presence felt somehow, and I just couldn't feel that presence, no matter how hard I tried. I used to say my prayers at night just like you say any few lines you've learned by heart, without any sentiment, and without sensing anything and anyone on the receiving end. I tried going to church but it was just the priest chanting some verse from an old book. There wasn't anything 'divine' there.

I am one of those people who actually take belief very seriously. This is why I abandoned it. Because I realized that I couldn't believe anymore. And why couldn't I believe? Because there was nothing there to believe in. Because it was all a lie. After that, I did try to search for facts to support this newly found 'belief' (or rather lack thereof). I'm still not very knowledgeable about science, but after only reading the Book of Genesis, and using my common sense to compare it to the most trivial scientific truths (such as the fact that the moon is not a 'lighter' or that both women and men have the same number of ribs, or that beyond the clouds and what we call 'sky', there is no heaven, but a whole unexplored universe), I can no longer believe that the god of the Bible was anything but a figment of the imagination of an ancient people. As for the other religions, well I have taken some time to study them and they're in no way better.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Hmmmm...I don't know what is it exactly that made me an atheist. My parents are both atheists and I could even say the same for my grandparents, so there was no pressure on me to believe. When I was about 5 or 6 I already had doubts about God. It wasn't because of science...I don't know...I can't really remember what made me come to conclusion that there is no God. I just thought it's pathetic how people think that some kind of stronger force is controlling their lives and they have to pray to be spared. It didn't seem logical how one creature, or so called GOD can create the whole universe in just 6(or is it 7?) days and watch over everything and everyone. Then there's that stupid story about Adam and Eve, where the first woman became from man's rib???? Just how sick and sexist is that??? And there's also that magic-apple-thing and some guy killing his own brother out of jealousy...the whole bible is full of crap I don't even know whether to laugh, cry or empty my stomach.

I's also kind of stupid forcing religious themes in schools. When we were studying Bible on English class(actually it's Serbian, but know what I mean) I never felt more like throwing up (and believe me I did - just from the inside)

I really hope one day people will wake up and realize there is no god. But that's probably just another fairy-tail, you know how they say: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; I’m not sure about the universe.
29-03-2010, 12:06 PM
yeah thanks for the responses.

I´m very happy to hear that even people who where raised religous can become atheists if they are still able to use logic.

And superman i´ve heard that atheists are generally more intelligent than religous people (what is not really surprising when you look at what they believe. like talking snakes and that elefants are holding the earth and stuff...)
30-03-2010, 01:38 AM

I was very religious, and I think I owe my deconversion to the Information Age. I grew up in a heavily Catholic area, and those who didn't believe in God were completely unfamiliar entities. I could not understand how they didn't believe in the Lord, and I find it interesting now what a radical concept it was to me.

I probably would've stayed this way were it not for my exposure to the internet. I met my first nonbelievers on it. They were the early adolescent nonbelievers, the ones who think they've achieved Enlightenment because they're high on the idea of defying authority. As you can imagine, their arrogant attitudes really turned me off to the idea of Atheism.

Still, the seeds had been planted. It took me a while to water the embryo of godlessness, though.* Eventually, around the time of my freshman year of high school, the new perspective thrust upon me began to take root, and I started logically approaching the feasibility of God. I'd lie awake for hours contemplating nonexistence, and struggled to believe in the Lord for a good three years.

Senior year came, and I came to accept Atheism. I stopped going to church with my family, though I still go to mass with them on holidays. Considering all the late nights I spent lying awake waiting for a sign from God, admittedly on the verge of tears (sometimes over it), I feel so much freer now. It was a kind of gradual, grudging acceptance, but the day I turned it into something positive, it became bliss. I <3 being good without God.

*Okay, it's an arguably stupid analogy. I'm sorry. I like it.

** Hope this wasn't too long. Sorry!

*** Or whiny. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm looking for pity or praise.