Why did you get an atheist ?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
30-03-2010, 01:55 AM

RE: Why did you get an atheist ?
Not at all---good job---glad to have you in the real world!
Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2010, 02:41 AM
wow, that was a heartwarming story and i think it could be a good example for other religous people.

but there´s still the problem that you have taken it COMPLETLY OUT OF CONTEXT^^
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2010, 09:12 PM

Lightbulb RE: Why did you get an atheist ?
Interesting. Unlike many of you, I wasn't raised either Christian or Atheist but by parents with eclectic beliefs heavily influenced by the "New Age" movement.

The sad truth is that I've believed damn near every dumb, illogical, and implausible thing ever dreamed up. Alien abductions, past life regressions, crystals, magic, conspiracy theories...you name it, I've somehow convinced myself they were all true at some point in time. I lay some of the blame for that on my upbringing, but not all of it. Somehow these things provided me with a reassurance that I apparently wanted. I still don't understand all of my reasons for it.

All I can say now is that a combination of going to college and dealing with my issues has led me to, very slowly, develop the capacity for critical thinking and a basic understanding of the scientific method. I've finally realized that my subjective perceptions are inherently fallible, and that there is a logical, empirical method for arriving at the truth, or at least approaching it as closely as possible. The journey to Atheism has not been in response to organized religion, but a slow process of abandoning faulty logic and laughable superstitions.
30-03-2010, 10:57 PM

My family is catholic, they tried to raise me that way but I was too stubborn and curious and the bible have always been a fairy tale to me.

I have been an atheist even before I knew the meaning of the word.
31-03-2010, 03:27 AM
(30-03-2010 10:57 PM)tirsojrp Wrote:  My family is catholic, they tried to raise me that way but I was too stubborn and curious and the bible have always been a fairy tale to me.

I have been an atheist even before I knew the meaning of the word.

yeah me too^^

wow that are some reasons, but most are including that you went to high school or college and developed logical thinking. hmmm... when you take a look at youtube, you´ll find docents of videos that are explaining that when there are more religous people in a state the IQ average is lower. Kind of obvious why...Rolleyes
Find all posts by this user
04-04-2010, 07:35 PM

I have always been a person who loves logic and learning. when I was about 3 the first TV documentary I saw was about why religion is untrue and evolution is fact. nuff said...
05-04-2010, 01:08 AM
(04-04-2010 07:35 PM)dlle Wrote:  I have always been a person who loves logic and learning. when I was about 3 the first TV documentary I saw was about why religion is untrue and evolution is fact. nuff said...

Hello and welcome to the forum! Do you happen to remember the title of that documentary?

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2010, 10:00 PM

I was raised as a christian. When I was in 7th grade we were learning about the Romans, in which jesus happened to be in the chapter. The chapter talked about how he was killed due to the Romans thinking he was gaining too much power. That changed my views on god Dramaticly. Within the past two years, I have talked to my father about religion. What I have realized is, No I am not a Christian,nor am I agnostic. I do not believe in a magical guy up in the sky granting prayers. This may be a tad bit childish but it made me smile, I was watching the Simpsons the other day, and it happened to be a religious episode. Ned brought Homer and his family to Israel. During the trip Bart and Homer found a 'prayer wall' Where people would well.. Write down prayers and 'hope' god would answer them. Bart happened to take out a few prayers and read them and Homer saw, then asked what he was doing. What was Barts response? " Reading prayers and ignoring them, Just like god" Anywho, I am an atheist, and I have been for a little under 2 years.
11-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Welcome, musicislove! Glad to have you on TTAF!

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user