Why didn't Jesus write the New Testament?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2016, 11:37 AM
RE: Why didn't Jesus write the New Testament?
(18-11-2016 05:24 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

The Gospel of John, chapter 8. (Emphasis my own.)

Yabut, that passage is thought to be an interpolation. Hoist by our own petard, we are...

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2016, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2016 01:36 PM by SitaSky.)
We're talking about a magical being here, why couldn't God just write the entire Bible on his own and make it freely available in every language to every human so they can all be saved?

There are a lot of good questions about the Bible and who wrote it and what parts we should believe and what parts to ignore and what is fact and what is allegory/symbolism, etc? But since it's all magical fairy tale bullshit it can be interpreted any which way you want and it doesn't matter who wrote it, it was still a man or a group of men so not actually mystical in any way.

Even if it was written by Jesus there is still not a whole lot of proof (outside of the Bible) that this Jesus guy ever existed and performed miracles, came back to life after death, etc. so why would it make a difference?

The book David Copperfield is written in first person perspective, we know it was actually written by Charles Dickens but would it be reasonable to ask "Why didn't David Copperfield write his own biography? Why did he get someone else to do it?" Well probably because he's not a real person and his life story never actually happened so even if Jesus could write the Bible, he's not real so why does it matter?

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
18-11-2016, 01:35 PM
How would he have written about witnessing his own virgin birth? Oh, that's right, he's magical. What AM I thinking.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-11-2016, 01:43 PM
(18-11-2016 01:35 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  How would he have written about witnessing his own virgin birth? Oh, that's right, he's magical. What AM I thinking.

Do ya think he swore and had a tantrum when Mary wuz trying to make him learn his "begats" ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
18-11-2016, 02:03 PM
(18-11-2016 01:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 01:35 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  How would he have written about witnessing his own virgin birth? Oh, that's right, he's magical. What AM I thinking.

Do ya think he swore and had a tantrum when Mary wuz trying to make him learn his "begats" ?

Yeah, I always wonder how Christians explain who was witnessing Jesus when he was off by himself in the desert for 40 days and nights with Satan. Was one of the apostles hiding behind a bush writing this conversation down? Consider In one online conversation I had, a Christian explained it away by saying that Jesus came back and told the others of the incident. But this sounds a lot like bragging to me. Jesus, the not so humble....Jesus, the gloating braggart. Jesus, doing the high five in the end zone. Everyone bow down. Bowing

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
18-11-2016, 03:27 PM
(18-11-2016 02:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Yeah, I always wonder how Christians explain who was witnessing Jesus when he was off by himself in the desert for 40 days and nights with Satan. Was one of the apostles hiding behind a bush writing this conversation down? Consider In one online conversation I had, a Christian explained it away by saying that Jesus came back and told the others of the incident. But this sounds a lot like bragging to me. Jesus, the not so humble....Jesus, the gloating braggart. Jesus, doing the high five in the end zone. Everyone bow down. Bowing

[Image: W7LUb46.jpg]

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 7 users Like Silly Deity's post
19-11-2016, 01:43 AM
(18-11-2016 12:38 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  The Jesus in the bible could read, which means he could write. So. Why didn't he just write the New Testament? Apart from my beliefs that Jesus is the combined identity of more than one individual (primarily being John the Baptist and Simon Bar Giora). If we were to just for a moment postulate that there was a man called Jesus. Who could read and write. Why didn't he just write the New Testament? Shouldn't he know better the will of god if HE WAS GOD HIMSELF?!
Why doesn't Clark Kent write the Superman comics?

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
19-11-2016, 01:44 AM
(19-11-2016 01:43 AM)f stop Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 12:38 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  The Jesus in the bible could read, which means he could write. So. Why didn't he just write the New Testament? Apart from my beliefs that Jesus is the combined identity of more than one individual (primarily being John the Baptist and Simon Bar Giora). If we were to just for a moment postulate that there was a man called Jesus. Who could read and write. Why didn't he just write the New Testament? Shouldn't he know better the will of god if HE WAS GOD HIMSELF?!
Why doesn't Clark Kent write the Superman comics?

Because his laser eyes kept burning the paper.
[+] 3 users Like Celestial_Wonder's post
19-11-2016, 02:02 AM
(18-11-2016 12:38 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  The Jesus in the bible could read, which means he could write. So. Why didn't he just write the New Testament?

Because he wasn't a writer, he was a preacher.

Quote:Apart from my beliefs that Jesus is the combined identity of more than one individual (primarily being John the Baptist and Simon Bar Giora).

You can believe whatever crap you want, it doesn't make it likely - much less true. Paul wrote about Jesus 15 years before Simon Bar Giora's pathetic little uprising.

Quote:If we were to just for a moment postulate that there was a man called Jesus. Who could read and write. Why didn't he just write the New Testament? Shouldn't he know better the will of god if HE WAS GOD HIMSELF?!

Possibly, but in answer to your question - he was a preacher. What exactly would he write about? Himself? When would he have the opportunity? He was snuffed out on a Roman cross remember, just one year or so into his ministry. Maybe if he lived until he was 80 you could ask why he didn't write something. But in his 1 year ministry he just never had the opportunity, at least not to write something lasting that we would still have today. His followers didn't even get around to writing the gospels for 4 or 5 decades.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2016, 02:30 AM
(19-11-2016 02:02 AM)Aractus Wrote:  Paul wrote about Jesus 15 years before Simon Bar Giora's pathetic little uprising.
How did you (or whomever) arrive at that date?

Sapere aude