Why didn't Jesus write the New Testament?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2016, 03:13 AM
RE: Why didn't Jesus write the New Testament?
(19-11-2016 02:30 AM)f stop Wrote:  How did you (or whomever) arrive at that date?

Because Paul's movements (his missionary journeys) in his epistles can be cross-referenced with Acts. Leaving little doubt that he wrote between c. 50-60 AD.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2016, 03:24 AM
Jesus didn't write the Bible because he didn't know modern day English.

After all, today's Bibles are the exact word of God aren't they?
Find all posts by this user
19-11-2016, 03:48 AM
I'm not sure how that's relevant, all modern English translations are translated from either the latest edition of Novum Testamentum (most of them as it happens), or Textus Receptus for the NT, the OT is a bit more complicated but is based primarily on Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (i.e. the Leningrad Codex) with other sources used - primarily of course the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Samaritan Pentateuch.

My Blog
19-11-2016, 04:54 AM
Proof that "God" is a Republican invention----

Rather than writing down the bible himself, he outsourced the job to a bunch of third worlders who couldn't speak English................

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-11-2016, 05:13 AM
(19-11-2016 02:02 AM)Aractus Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 12:38 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  The Jesus in the bible could read, which means he could write. So. Why didn't he just write the New Testament?

Because he wasn't a writer, he was a preacher.

Quote:Apart from my beliefs that Jesus is the combined identity of more than one individual (primarily being John the Baptist and Simon Bar Giora).

You can believe whatever crap you want, it doesn't make it likely - much less true. Paul wrote about Jesus 15 years before Simon Bar Giora's pathetic little uprising.

Quote:If we were to just for a moment postulate that there was a man called Jesus. Who could read and write. Why didn't he just write the New Testament? Shouldn't he know better the will of god if HE WAS GOD HIMSELF?!

Possibly, but in answer to your question - he was a preacher. What exactly would he write about? Himself? When would he have the opportunity? He was snuffed out on a Roman cross remember, just one year or so into his ministry. Maybe if he lived until he was 80 you could ask why he didn't write something. But in his 1 year ministry he just never had the opportunity, at least not to write something lasting that we would still have today. His followers didn't even get around to writing the gospels for 4 or 5 decades.

Forgive me Aractus it was a rhetorical question, I stopped trying to disprove religions a long time ago.
19-11-2016, 06:02 AM
Aractus, you know as well as I do that damned near the entire Gospel of John is an interpolation, written to update the inadequately-divine version of Jesus from the Synoptics into a version that fit the evolving doctrine of the church in the 2nd century (or very end of the 1st if we're feeling generous).

I was only pointing out that part of the Jesus Legend has him casually writing on the ground.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
19-11-2016, 10:53 AM
A man that stops asking questions, is a man that believes he has all the answers.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
20-11-2016, 02:32 AM
(19-11-2016 06:02 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Aractus, you know as well as I do that damned near the entire Gospel of John is an interpolation, written to update the inadequately-divine version of Jesus from the Synoptics into a version that fit the evolving doctrine of the church in the 2nd century (or very end of the 1st if we're feeling generous).

I disagree. The Gospel of John cannot be reliably dated. The author knows about the content in Mark, that's pretty clear, but he's fairly ignorant of the content of Matthew and Luke. It's fairly safe to assume it's written around the same time as Matthew and Luke, sure it could be written up to 10 years or so later, but that cannot be proven or even demonstrated as likely.

As for the gospel of John being an interpolation of the synoptics - no I don't don't think so at all. It has its own narrative, which may well be interpolated as you put it by the author, but that doesn't mean the author started with the synoptic gospels. 90% of so of the gospel of John is unique to its gospel. As you know it's difficult beyond the obvious examples of the crucifixion, last supper, disruption in the temple, and the baptism to pin down what is and is not "historical" in any of the narratives, what however comes next after that stuff in terms of confidence is that Jesus delivered teachings - including at least most of the stuff in the synoptic gospels.

In terms of the Gospel of John, it does have at least some genuine teachings of Jesus in it. On the other hand some teachings like John 3:16 are rather unlikely. I would be very surprised if modern scholars did not think that John 3:16-21 is a non-authentic saying of Jesus. That alone irreconcilably weakens Christianity as it is one of the most fundamental teachings in the gospel to the Christian faith.

My Blog
20-11-2016, 02:35 AM
The Gospel of John, the birthplace of Superman Republican Jesus.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
20-11-2016, 03:22 AM
(20-11-2016 02:32 AM)Aractus Wrote:  
(19-11-2016 06:02 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Aractus, you know as well as I do that damned near the entire Gospel of John is an interpolation, written to update the inadequately-divine version of Jesus from the Synoptics into a version that fit the evolving doctrine of the church in the 2nd century (or very end of the 1st if we're feeling generous).

I disagree. The Gospel of John cannot be reliably dated. The author knows about the content in Mark, that's pretty clear, but he's fairly ignorant of the content of Matthew and Luke. It's fairly safe to assume it's written around the same time as Matthew and Luke, sure it could be written up to 10 years or so later, but that cannot be proven or even demonstrated as likely.

As for the gospel of John being an interpolation of the synoptics - no I don't don't think so at all. It has its own narrative, which may well be interpolated as you put it by the author, but that doesn't mean the author started with the synoptic gospels. 90% of so of the gospel of John is unique to its gospel. As you know it's difficult beyond the obvious examples of the crucifixion, last supper, disruption in the temple, and the baptism to pin down what is and is not "historical" in any of the narratives, what however comes next after that stuff in terms of confidence is that Jesus delivered teachings - including at least most of the stuff in the synoptic gospels.

In terms of the Gospel of John, it does have at least some genuine teachings of Jesus in it. On the other hand some teachings like John 3:16 are rather unlikely. I would be very surprised if modern scholars did not think that John 3:16-21 is a non-authentic saying of Jesus. That alone irreconcilably weakens Christianity as it is one of the most fundamental teachings in the gospel to the Christian faith.

You misunderstand what I was saying. I was not suggesting that John took the words of the Synoptics and tried to interpolate new phrases into the original text.

I was using the term sarcastically in order to indicate that I think the author(s) of John "updated" the Jesus Legend™ from the simpler, less divine, and less-magical form found in the Synoptics to something that fit the evolving narrative of Jesus The Magical God and Also Son of God which evolved during the first few decades after the death of the actual Jesus.

The reason that 90% of it is unique to John is that it took a kernel from the original story (Mark) and added a bunch of the word-of-mouth legends no doubt being told among the early church, "improving" on the Legend of Jesus. The result of including all these legends is that it stands apart from the other three Gospels, in terms of how magical and how divine Jesus is claimed to be.

As you know from our previous conversations, I think you underestimate the human capacity for inventing well-meaning bullshit and telling it to a receptive audience who then passes it along until it becomes a "True Story™, Bro".

[Image: 37835442.jpg]

We see the same phenomenon among communities of UFO enthusiasts, for instance.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post