Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2016, 10:55 AM
RE: Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”.
So basically you're saying it's better to have a false fairytale answer than no answer at all ?

Do you really think society progresses by believing a mass of lies ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
23-08-2016, 12:24 PM
The Borg Translated:
(with commentary)

(23-08-2016 04:45 AM)theBorg Wrote:  "God of the gaps" is a term used to describe observations of theological perspectives in which gaps in scientific knowledge are taken to be evidence or proof of God's existence... how wrong it is to use God as a stop-gap for the incompleteness of our knowledge. (Wikipedia 2016).

Hey found this quote about "God of the Gaps" on wikipedia!

You needed to pull a quote from Wikipedia to demonstrate what "god of the gaps" meant? And to answer the end part of the quote. You can't fill a space that you don't have any evidence for with something else you don't have any evidence for.

(23-08-2016 04:45 AM)theBorg Wrote:  Theorem: it is wiser to let the God in the ship's hold gap, until the secular science will find the secular stop-gap. Proof: "it is just obvious." More is here:

Theorem: Keep God in the gap until we figure things out.
Proof: Isn't it obvious?

Let me explain:

The structure of your threads are always boggling. You try to present your self as a "intellectual" but fall to demonstrate even basic understanding of the topic. Your "Theorems and proofs" are non exsitante.

I imagine Steven Hawking "standing" in front of a crowed about to explain the understanding of black holes and all he dose is say "It's just obvious." then rolls of the stage. How quickly would he be disreagered by the scientific community?

If you and I where in two seprate rowboats both that had sprung a leak. I fill my hole with a cork (representing something tangible) , and you filled yours with faith (representing your god). Which of us would sink first?

The gaps for "god" to hide in have gotten smaller and smaller.

Why is there thunder?
God.

Why dose the earth-shake?
God

Why dose the sun not fall on our heads?
God

Where is god?
On the mountain top.

"Ok I've made it to the top of the mountain, I don't see god. Where is he?"
The clouds.

"Ok I invented a plane so now i can fly above the clouds. Where's god?
Outside the planet.

"Ok made a space craft made it to space, constructed telescopes to look at other parts of the universe where's god?
Uhh, uhh? Outside time and space.

(23-08-2016 04:45 AM)theBorg Wrote:  But while the "white spot" or the “gap” (the gap in the secular view of the world) is not closed by the secular science, let the gap be closed by the True God Himself. If is needed, the God will make the additional room for the secular science. But why to tear the God from all the white spots? Otherwise our society (like a ship) will sink in the "sin-deeds-sea" due to huge ugly holes in the knowledge!

Since we can't find answers to all our questions, let's fill those gaps with my god. I'm sure god will make room in those spaces for additional answers when they come around. So why take god out of the gaps? If we remove god from the gaps society would fall apart. And that's not very appealing.

Just in case my past examples didn't get the point across.

Let me elaborate a little.

I believe you're question is "What's wrong with saying god did things? Until we figure it out. Because you feel that it makes more sense to tie things up in a nice little bow.

This type of thinking present a couple of problems.

1) Filling metaphorical gap with something more appealing to you doesn't give you an answer. If that was the case we could put anything in that gap. Faries, Magic, Extra Terrestrials. and that would bring us no closer to a reasonable conclusion to the "gap". Your god has just as much backing it up as these.

2) Once a "god" has been put in place trying to take it out even when there is no longer a "gap" can be very hard for people. Take the subject of evolution. Many "god fearing" believers will fight tooth and nail to deny that it is the best explanation of species variation. Even thou it has been demonstrated to be so.

3) People that feel god should be the only answer as in point 2 often go threw drastic messures to keep their belief intack. The Galileo Affair is a classic example of people refusing evedince.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 9 users Like Commonsensei's post
23-08-2016, 12:35 PM
(23-08-2016 10:55 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  So basically you're saying it's better to have a false fairytale answer than no answer at all?

Isn't that theists standard way of thinking?

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-08-2016, 02:01 PM
How about we do away with the "God of the gaps" and instead use "The Smurfs of the gaps" so whenever we run into a natural process that lacks explanation we can say "The Smurfs did it!" so if you ponder "How did our universe come to be?" it's simple "The Smurfs created it, because they love us!" It's just as good an explanation as "This spirit being did it."

You can literally fill the gap with anything you can imagine, why would one gap filler be better than another gap filler? Because more people believe it? That doesn't make it true, Xians use to believe bad weather was caused by witches, did that make it true? Nope, they just didn't understand weather.

There are some questions we may never have an answer for but the honest thing to do is just say " I don't know, we'll never know and that's ok." Filling in the gap with any answer because it feels good doesn't make it valid or true, it's just a place holder so you can put whatever you like in there but don't expect everyone to respect it.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
23-08-2016, 02:24 PM
(23-08-2016 02:01 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  How about we do away with the "God of the gaps" and instead use "The Smurfs of the gaps" so whenever we run into a natural process that lacks explanation we can say "The Smurfs did it!" so if you ponder "How did our universe come to be?" it's simple "The Smurfs created it, because they love us!" It's just as good an explanation as "This spirit being did it."

You can literally fill the gap with anything you can imagine, why would one gap filler be better than another gap filler? Because more people believe it? That doesn't make it true, Xians use to believe bad weather was caused by witches, did that make it true? Nope, they just didn't understand weather.

There are some questions we may never have an answer for but the honest thing to do is just say " I don't know, we'll never know and that's ok." Filling in the gap with any answer because it feels good doesn't make it valid or true, it's just a place holder so you can put whatever you like in there but don't expect everyone to respect it.

And on the first day the Smurfs smurfed.
And they said it was smurffy.
On the second day the smurfs smurfed smurfberries
and they said it was smurffy.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
23-08-2016, 02:49 PM
You have to wonder....

Why do twats like the OP bother leaving these threads???

It's like taking a shit.

You shit - you leave.

The flies buzz about....

And you wish somebody would at least scoop it up and toss it on the neighbor's lawn.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-08-2016, 03:55 PM
(23-08-2016 02:24 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 02:01 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  How about we do away with the "God of the gaps" and instead use "The Smurfs of the gaps" so whenever we run into a natural process that lacks explanation we can say "The Smurfs did it!" so if you ponder "How did our universe come to be?" it's simple "The Smurfs created it, because they love us!" It's just as good an explanation as "This spirit being did it."

And on the first day the Smurfs smurfed.
And they said it was smurffy.
On the second day the smurfs smurfed smurfberries
and they said it was smurffy.

Wow this is so beautiful Common, it's so true, they truly smurf all of us and saved us all when they came down and smurfed on the cross so we may not perish but have eternal smurf.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
23-08-2016, 06:31 PM
Nope. Disbelievers reject all gods except Chuck Norris.Sleepy

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
23-08-2016, 06:50 PM
(23-08-2016 04:45 AM)theBorg Wrote:  "God of the gaps" is a term used to describe observations of theological perspectives in which gaps in scientific knowledge are taken to be evidence or proof of God's existence... how wrong it is to use God as a stop-gap for the incompleteness of our knowledge. (Wikipedia 2016).

Theorem: it is wiser to let the God in the ship's hold gap, until the secular science will find the secular stop-gap. Proof: "it is just obvious." More is here:

But while the "white spot" or the “gap” (the gap in the secular view of the world) is not closed by the secular science, let the gap be closed by the True God Himself. If is needed, the God will make the additional room for the secular science. But why to tear the God from all the white spots? Otherwise our society (like a ship) will sink in the "sin-deeds-sea" due to huge ugly holes in the knowledge!

Come now, let us reason together.

Wait ... on the other hand, you are a theist who refuses and resists all attempts to be reasoned with. You are not interested in it.

Can you give me, a secularist, one good reason why I should discuss anything with you, a theist? What point would or could possibly be made here?

Perhaps it is better that you go your own way, and believe, while I go my own way and not trifle myself with such concerns.

Your thoughts?
[+] 2 users Like GoingUp's post
23-08-2016, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2016 07:07 PM by Fireball.)
At what point does this drivel constitute spam? Seriously? I think it is there, already. This guy makes Pops and Tomasia appear cogent. Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post