Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2016, 07:03 PM
RE: Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”.
(23-08-2016 04:45 AM)theBorg Wrote:  "God of the gaps" is a term used to describe observations of theological perspectives in which gaps in scientific knowledge are taken to be evidence or proof of God's existence... how wrong it is to use God as a stop-gap for the incompleteness of our knowledge. (Wikipedia 2016).

Theorem: it is wiser to let the God in the ship's hold gap, until the secular science will find the secular stop-gap. Proof: "it is just obvious." More is here:

But while the "white spot" or the “gap” (the gap in the secular view of the world) is not closed by the secular science, let the gap be closed by the True God Himself. If is needed, the God will make the additional room for the secular science. But why to tear the God from all the white spots? Otherwise our society (like a ship) will sink in the "sin-deeds-sea" due to huge ugly holes in the knowledge!

Your stupid god has never closed even one gap in anything. SCIENCE closed any gap that's been closed. Waiting for your god to close gaps in ships hold is a sure to watch your ship sink. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-08-2016, 07:07 PM
(23-08-2016 07:00 PM)Fireball Wrote:  At what point does this drivel constitute spam? Really? I think it is there, already.

From the rules thread:

Quote:Spam is defined as 'repetitious posts or threads with the same or similar content'.

I've honestly been wondering whether the copy-pasta part of Borg's posts which contain his "God am" grammar errors counts.... but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near the standard of the mods' banhammer threshold.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
23-08-2016, 07:33 PM
Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”

Why believers believe? They believe in so called “God of the last gasps”

[Image: Internet-religion-tombstone.jpeg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
23-08-2016, 08:34 PM
I.....I just read the OP. Can someone translate his gibberish for me? My Gibberish to English dictionary is unavailable.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
23-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Just a simple question for the Collective. Do you think that you're planting seeds or winning souls here? Wouldn't the effort be better focused on a more receptive audience? In Matthew 13, Christ talks of sowing seed, and how it can be thrown in rocky ground and not take root, can blossom quickly in shallow dirt and then die, in fertile ground and yield great results, or in thorny and weedy ground where the good plants will be strangled. Part of my thinks that while this may possibly be the 'rocky' ground, it also may be a bit on the thorny side. There comes a point in evangelism, which I know I suck at it, but even I realize, where it may do more detriment than good in the attempt. Where it will only push others further away, than to draw them in. Or even to act to push others away who share the beliefs.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
23-08-2016, 09:23 PM
(23-08-2016 09:01 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Just a simple question for the Collective. Do you think that you're planting seeds or winning souls here? Wouldn't the effort be better focused on a more receptive audience? In Matthew 13, Christ talks of sowing seed, and how it can be thrown in rocky ground and not take root, can blossom quickly in shallow dirt and then die, in fertile ground and yield great results, or in thorny and weedy ground where the good plants will be strangled. Part of my thinks that while this may possibly be the 'rocky' ground, it also may be a bit on the thorny side. There comes a point in evangelism, which I know I suck at it, but even I realize, where it may do more detriment than good in the attempt. Where it will only push others further away, than to draw them in. Or even to act to push others away who share the beliefs.

Also, it helps if the seeds themselves are viable and don't sprout into a tree that bears poisonous fruits.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
23-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Dear God of the Gaps,

Where's your faith-based space program? Seriously, we want some decent fireworks. Popcorn

Hugs,
The Atheists

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
23-08-2016, 10:28 PM
(23-08-2016 09:01 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Just a simple question for the Collective. Do you think that you're planting seeds or winning souls here? Wouldn't the effort be better focused on a more receptive audience? In Matthew 13, Christ talks of sowing seed, and how it can be thrown in rocky ground and not take root, can blossom quickly in shallow dirt and then die, in fertile ground and yield great results, or in thorny and weedy ground where the good plants will be strangled. Part of my thinks that while this may possibly be the 'rocky' ground, it also may be a bit on the thorny side. There comes a point in evangelism, which I know I suck at it, but even I realize, where it may do more detriment than good in the attempt. Where it will only push others further away, than to draw them in. Or even to act to push others away who share the beliefs.

Respectfully, mon ami, I must disagree with you. We are anything but rocky ground, per the parable. We generally pride ourselves on being open-minded to good arguments or solid evidence. We consider everything that is said to us--which is why we respond to his gibberish at all, and even attempt to translate it--and even go so far as to break down the reasons the arguments are faulty.

Calling us "rocky ground" (etc.) for not accepting faulty arguments is nothing more than denigrating intelligence, which I know is something you would never deliberately do; I think you were simply trying to encourage this guy to take his "message" elsewhere-- perhaps to a people who are more gullible.

These bad arguments certainly do have the effect of driving away anyone, even people who are already believers, who has the ability to reason through or to see why our counters to the arguments are legitimate counters.

This guy would be more than welcome if he made good arguments or treated us with respect rather than simply a place to ejaculate his "oh I'm being such a good religionist" propaganda all over and then ignoring what is said in return. No rational person (theist or not) should have a modicum of respect for a person like him. He is doing more damage to religion than we could ever do, ourselves, which is why we generally tolerate trolls like this until they become too tiresome/obnoxious with their drivel.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
23-08-2016, 10:48 PM
(23-08-2016 10:28 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

Respectfully, mon ami, I must disagree with you. We are anything but rocky ground, per the parable. We generally pride ourselves on being open-minded to good arguments or solid evidence. We consider everything that is said to us--which is why we respond to his gibberish at all, and even attempt to translate it--and even go so far as to break down the reasons the arguments are faulty.

Calling us "rocky ground" (etc.) for not accepting faulty arguments is nothing more than denigrating intelligence, which I know is something you would never deliberately do; I think you were simply trying to encourage this guy to take his "message" elsewhere-- perhaps to a people who are more gullible.

These bad arguments certainly do have the effect of driving away anyone, even people who are already believers, who has the ability to reason through or to see why our counters to the arguments are legitimate counters.

This guy would be more than welcome if he made good arguments or treated us with respect rather than simply a place to ejaculate his "oh I'm being such a good religionist" propaganda all over and then ignoring what is said in return. No rational person (theist or not) should have a modicum of respect for a person like him. He is doing more damage to religion than we could ever do, ourselves, which is why we generally tolerate trolls like this until they become too tiresome/obnoxious with their drivel.
Very well put and apologies for any unintended sleight against intelligence, as it wasn't meant.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
23-08-2016, 11:05 PM
(23-08-2016 10:24 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Dear God of the Gaps,

Where's your faith-based space program? Seriously, we want some decent fireworks. Popcorn

Hugs,
The Atheists

Don't you know? They're all ABOUT a faith-based way to get into the skies!