Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2016, 01:06 AM
RE: Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”.
(23-08-2016 11:05 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 10:24 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Dear God of the Gaps,

Where's your faith-based space program? Seriously, we want some decent fireworks. Popcorn

Hugs,
The Atheists

Don't you know? They're all ABOUT a faith-based way to get into the skies!

I know what you mean by this, but I still couldn't help picturing a TV commercial for a new faith-based aerospace company:

"Forget Boeing and their godless scientists. Come fly the new Angel 3000™, where we believe with all our hearts that the wings will work according to God's Will."

I'm sure their lines will fill up as fast as the Ark Encounter's did:

[Image: 13621918_1173464576032976_1120784872_o.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
24-08-2016, 02:31 PM
(24-08-2016 01:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 11:05 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Don't you know? They're all ABOUT a faith-based way to get into the skies!

I know what you mean by this, but I still couldn't help picturing a TV commercial for a new faith-based aerospace company:

"Forget Boeing and their godless scientists. Come fly the new Angel 3000™, where we believe with all our hearts that the wings will work according to God's Will."

I'm sure their lines will fill up as fast as the Ark Encounter's did:

[Image: 13621918_1173464576032976_1120784872_o.jpg]

No no, that's what we have Satellite Church for...at least if you ask the Babylon Bee, the Christian Onion. Wink
Quote:Satellite Church Launch Scrubbed Due to High Winds
[Image: 0TD8wqW.png]
BREMERTON, WA—Expectations and excitement were high, but the launch of Seattle Bible Church’s thirteenth satellite campus was scrubbed at the last minute Friday due to high wind conditions and a possible failure in its starboard booster rocket.

Pastor Tony Greenwood (PhD), who serves as a teaching elder as well as Head Propulsion Engineer at Seattle Bible’s Mission Control Center, made the final decision to pull the plug. “It was a last-minute judgment call on my part. While temperatures and cloud cover were within tolerance, wind speed relative to humidity was hovering around 30 knots, and I wasn’t about to risk the lives of our church planting cohort under questionable parameters. Plus, our projector and fog machine were on the fritz.”

An electrical box on the satellite church plant’s solid rocket booster was said to be unresponsive, but wasn’t expected to cause any issues. The satellite campus’s faulty coffee machine seemed to be more cause for concern among elders and deacons on duty at Mission Control.

Seattle Bible has tentatively rescheduled the launch of the satellite church for next month, pending optimal weather conditions.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
24-08-2016, 03:10 PM
(23-08-2016 04:45 AM)theBorg Wrote:  "God of the gaps" is a term used to describe observations of theological perspectives in which gaps in scientific knowledge are taken to be evidence or proof of God's existence... how wrong it is to use God as a stop-gap for the incompleteness of our knowledge. (Wikipedia 2016).

Theorem: it is wiser to let the God in the ship's hold gap, until the secular science will find the secular stop-gap. Proof: "it is just obvious." More is here:

But while the "white spot" or the “gap” (the gap in the secular view of the world) is not closed by the secular science, let the gap be closed by the True God Himself. If is needed, the God will make the additional room for the secular science. But why to tear the God from all the white spots? Otherwise our society (like a ship) will sink in the "sin-deeds-sea" due to huge ugly holes in the knowledge!

In other words, if you don't know, just make something up.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
24-08-2016, 03:41 PM
(24-08-2016 03:10 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 04:45 AM)theBorg Wrote:  "God of the gaps" is a term used to describe observations of theological perspectives in which gaps in scientific knowledge are taken to be evidence or proof of God's existence... how wrong it is to use God as a stop-gap for the incompleteness of our knowledge. (Wikipedia 2016).

Theorem: it is wiser to let the God in the ship's hold gap, until the secular science will find the secular stop-gap. Proof: "it is just obvious." More is here:

But while the "white spot" or the “gap” (the gap in the secular view of the world) is not closed by the secular science, let the gap be closed by the True God Himself. If is needed, the God will make the additional room for the secular science. But why to tear the God from all the white spots? Otherwise our society (like a ship) will sink in the "sin-deeds-sea" due to huge ugly holes in the knowledge!

In other words, if you don't know, just make something up.

No! You're missing the point completely!

You're supposed to believe something that someone ELSE made up!

You don't get to be creative yourself.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
24-08-2016, 04:16 PM
(23-08-2016 08:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I.....I just read the OP. Can someone translate his gibberish for me? My Gibberish to English dictionary is unavailable.

I did. Page 3.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
24-08-2016, 04:26 PM
HUH? What did he say? Is he furr it er again it?
24-08-2016, 04:44 PM
(24-08-2016 01:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I know what you mean by this, but I still couldn't help picturing a TV commercial for a new faith-based aerospace company:

The ironic part being that they'd be absolutely right, what with "God's Will" being that firecrackers masquerading as spacecraft go Boom! Or at least that's what the experimental data suggests.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
24-08-2016, 08:09 PM

Personal question for you OP: if you compete in, and come in last place, at the Dumbfuck Olympics are you the winner or the loser?Drinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
24-08-2016, 09:06 PM
(24-08-2016 08:09 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  

Personal question for you OP: if you compete in, and come in last place, at the Dumbfuck Olympics are you the winner or the loser?Drinking Beverage

Yes

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
24-08-2016, 09:13 PM
(23-08-2016 09:04 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  

.... well that was remarkably incoherent, even by Borg's usual standards. Which is.... almost impressive. Weeping

Let's take a one-time example: Cancer.

Once upon a time, people didn't know what caused cancer. So they said that God was doing it to punish people, or maybe angels and demons that were part of the Christian cosmology were involved. They argued over it quite a bit. Some of them thought that prayer would fix it, but the results of that never really showed much improvement in side-by-side comparisons with not-praying.

For as long as people thought that God (or some other supernatural element) caused cancer, they had no motivation to look for the actual answer.

Now we know. Cancer is caused by cells multiplying out of control. The cause of THAT varies with the type of cancer, but is usually the result of some form of radiation- or chemical-induced damage to the genome, or ticking time bombs in our genes.

The REASON we know this is that various researchers ignored the god-of-the-gaps nonsense and went looking for an actual answer. Which, shock of all shocks, was not God.

As a consequence, we have many treatments and even a few cures for cancer, as well as means of early detection, risk assessment, and preventative measures. While imperfect, these are often life-saving.

A couple other examples:

We stopped believing that weather was caused by God and started considering if it was the result of natural forces. By charting, mapping, and monitoring those forces, we can predict weather up to a few weeks in advance. This allows us to grow more food to feed more people, and also get people out of the way of hurricanes.

We stopped believing that the stars and the planets in the heavens moved by God's will, and instead started considering that they moved by natural forces. As a result we have a far more accurate and thorough model of the solar system and know pretty much exactly how it will behave. This has allowed us to put communication satellites in place, with a host of applications from coordinating life-saving search-and-rescue operations to letting you connect to our forum from halfway around the world to troll us. Also, it allows us to tell if a giant asteroid is heading towards Earth and gives us the means of diverting it.

I could go on. And on. And on. But the moral of all these stories is the same.

tl;dr: Abandoning god-of-the-gaps reasoning and looking for real answers SAVES LOTS AND LOTS OF LIVES. Sticking with god-of-the-gaps reasoning CONSIGNS COUNTLESS PEOPLE TO DEATH.
Ah oh... More people trying to claim that nature is somehow not a product of GOD.

Retarded assed doctors wanted to amputate my arm over a tumor all while insisting that it wasn't caused from trauma... Science is thankfully still in its youth. You did make a good point about people giving up on solutions to problems because they don't understand them though. That's sorta like fundamentalist or literalists not receiving medical attention because they believe God will intervene. Who's to say the competent doctor isn't God's intervention?

Peace

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk