Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2016, 01:09 AM
RE: Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”.
Wait, why would we insert "the theology point of view" when we don't know how the Big Bang came about?

Why not just explain what the BB is, how we know it is, and what its implications are, and leave the rest of it alone until more discoveries are made?

Theists just love to point to the gaps in knowledge while ignoring or distorting what we do know.

And to answer your question of why we don't insert the theology point of view is because there are hundreds of thousands of variations of the "theology point of view", if we're to provide any specifics, and the Augustine "well God is what made the Big Bang start moving" First Cause argument is so watered-down as to be moot in terms of explanatory power or usefulness. It's just a made-up assumption that bears on nothing except sustaining your belief in magic.

Yes, I know you religionists don't like to call it magic, but that's what you're talking about. Magic.

Here are just a few of the things we thought were gods or other supernatural powers:

The Sun
Lightning/Thunder
The Ocean
Sickness
Insanity

Turned out that none of them were magic, as we once thought. Should the people back then, when trying to figure out what the sun was, have inserted the theological point of view, or should they have waited until humans made better observations?

These are serious questions I am asking you, especially that last one, Borg.

If you can explain to me why I should or should not have advised someone in prehistory to think (or not think) that the sun was God, based on your assertion here, then and only then can we talk about why we should or should not consider your God as an option for how we got here.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2016, 06:20 AM
(25-08-2016 10:29 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 07:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So... it is wiser to assume we know the answers to things we don't know rather than admit we don't until we do?
Why it is wiser to assume we know the answers to things we don't know rather than admit we don't until we do?

See: the Christian God is needed to stop the violence and terrorism. The Christian God teaches to love your personal enemy. The fact, what the killing can be allowed, does not take away the fact, that killing is unwanted: the Christian God does not like the killings.

Therefore, when child of the disbeliever asks: "how the Big Bang came about?" The disbeliever should answer: "I am follower of the secular science, not the theology. But because the secular science has not explained this wonder of singularity, I advise you to acknowledge the theology point of view."

You utterly contradict yourself.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-08-2016, 06:56 AM
(23-08-2016 07:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So... it is wiser to assume we know the answers to things we don't know rather than admit we don't until we do?
Why it is wiser to assume we know the answers to things we don't know rather than admit we don't until we do?

See: the Christian God is needed to stop the violence and terrorism.

That's a bold claim, given that statistically the less religious a nation is, the safer it is.

(25-08-2016 10:29 PM)theBorg Wrote:  The Christian God teaches to love your personal enemy. The fact, what the killing can be allowed, does not take away the fact, that killing is unwanted: the Christian God does not like the killings.

I might buy that if it were not for the supposed god saying you must hate your family to be a follower. All the genocides that God orders in the OT does not help the idea of a 'love thy enemy' deity...

(25-08-2016 10:29 PM)theBorg Wrote:  Therefore, when child of the disbeliever asks: "how the Big Bang came about?" The disbeliever should answer: "I am follower of the secular science, not the theology. But because the secular science has not explained this wonder of singularity, I advise you to acknowledge the theology point of view."

'Therefore' means that the point you are about to make follows from the previous ones, and yours does not.
Theology is irrelevant to Big Bang cosmology. One deals in mythos, the other deals in establishing functional models of the beginning of the universe using known data.

Sure, you could argue that they both can have import, but I am under no such illusions as to which system is worth of consideration and which is worthy only of the historical garbage can of failed hypotheses.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
26-08-2016, 09:02 AM
(25-08-2016 10:29 PM)theBorg Wrote:  See: the Christian God is needed to stop the violence and terrorism. The Christian God teaches to love your personal enemy. The fact, what the killing can be allowed, does not take away the fact, that killing is unwanted: the Christian God does not like the killings.

Interestingly, belief in your silly god and its command to love one's enemies did not stop Christians from invading Scandinavia circa 1000 CE and wrecking the place. Fortunately we've managed to fix or replace most of the stuff the invaders broke, but we're having quite the time getting rid of that undead-rabbi smell.

(Springy G slaps a lien on theBorg's life and hypothetical afterlife until he materially compensates civil society in full for his percentage of the damages owed to nonbelievers worldwide)

Now get off the Internet and get over to the animal shelter, as I commanded you! There are cats' litter boxes to be cleaned and dogs to be walked. Hop to it, mortal.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
26-08-2016, 11:29 AM

This should be a question you ask yourself. Your assuming that your god is the answer to everything. But as i said in another thread when you asked about "god of the gaps" you can't fill a "gap" on something you don't know. With another something you don't know.

So good question. But Free Thought asked it better.

(25-08-2016 10:29 PM)theBorg Wrote:  See: the Christian God is needed to stop the violence and terrorism. The Christian God teaches to love your personal enemy. The fact, what the killing can be allowed, does not take away the fact, that killing is unwanted: the Christian God does not like the killings.

Is it? The "christian god" and been in people thoughts for ruffly 2000 years. Before that it was the jewish god (YHWH). Before that he was one of many a Canaanite gods (El). so ruffly 3k to 4k years the idea of this god has been in peoples minds. So if we run threw the history of the regions that this god is worshiped. Will we find continual peace?
Not one war? Not one atrocity?

If you use the bible as a reference. You may want to give it another read threw. For every one line that it talks about peace. It has three that talk about violence.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

How limited in powers dose your god have to be to not be able to prevent violence?

(25-08-2016 10:29 PM)theBorg Wrote:  Therefore, when child of the disbeliever asks: "how the Big Bang came about?" The disbeliever should answer: "I am follower of the secular science, not the theology. But because the secular science has not explained this wonder of singularity, I advise you to acknowledge the theology point of view."

It's a work in progress but I've created a thread that has numerous creation stories. Different regions, different beliefs. My guess is you would only pick the one you've been raised in.

Maybe it was the god Bumba that vomited the whole of creation because of a upset stomach. Maybe it was because of the intergalactic war with Xenu? Maybe it was a cosmic egg that hatched? OR MAYBE we don't know!

[Image: mind-blownreactions.gif]

If we don't know the answer it's ok to say "I don't know!" I don't have to fill the hole with "It was galaxy creating pixies." to have a comfortable conclusion.

You're replacing "I don't know. But i'll continue to try to figure it out." with "I don't know. But I already have created a conclusion on how it happened." By creating a false conclusion you've preventing yourself from gathing any additional information. Unless it fits you conclusion. It's dishonest.

I tring to remember the story correctly but this is the best i can remember. It was about a guy that brought a model of the solar system to a Church representative or a king or something like that. And the king or priest said "Sir this is wonderful. But where dose god fit in?" where as the creator of the model responded. "Well that the wonderful thing about it sir. He isn't needed."

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...on-Stories

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post