Why do Brits want the death penalty?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 11:01 AM
RE: Why do Brits want the death penalty?
If the Government gave me 3,000 dollars a month for doing nothing for the rest of my life, that would not be as costly as it is to keep someone locked up for a lifetime.

City’s Annual Cost Per Inmate Is $168,000, Study Finds
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/nyregi....html?_r=0

Giving them a lethal injection saves SHIT LOADS!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2014, 11:10 AM
(10-08-2014 11:01 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  If the Government gave me 3,000 dollars a month for doing nothing for the rest of my life, that would not be as costly as it is to keep someone locked up for a lifetime.

Except it doesn't I posted real numbers in This Thread Capital Punishment is far more expensive than lifetime terms.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-08-2014, 09:21 PM
(10-08-2014 11:10 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-08-2014 11:01 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  If the Government gave me 3,000 dollars a month for doing nothing for the rest of my life, that would not be as costly as it is to keep someone locked up for a lifetime.

Except it doesn't I posted real numbers in This Thread Capital Punishment is far more expensive than lifetime terms.

Because he forgot legals costs (i.e. multiple appeals to the death penalty), the maintenance and upkeep of prison facilities and personal, and the rest of the criminal justice apparatus (DA and presiding judge wages, forensics, etc.).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
10-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Yes but if you simply took out all those serving life sentences and blew their brains out, it would save a fortune~!

If you could skip all the other costly requirements involved that is which can't happen unless the GOvernment were Communist, Nazi, or something similar.
10-08-2014, 11:51 PM
(10-08-2014 09:59 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Yes but if you simply took out all those serving life sentences and blew their brains out, it would save a fortune~!

If you could skip all the other costly requirements involved that is which can't happen unless the GOvernment were Communist, Nazi, or something similar.

... And if you ever got a life sentence?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-08-2014, 12:10 AM
(10-08-2014 09:59 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Yes but if you simply took out all those serving life sentences and blew their brains out, it would save a fortune~!

Human beings are flawed creatures and prone to mistakes. Killing someone is not reversible, and we know for a fact, that many innocent people have been wrongly put to death. Also as it is sanctioned by the state, it implicates all citizens in those wrongful deaths.

I think that even one is too many. Combine this with the fact that life imprisonment is cheaper than the death penalty, and I can't think of a reason to have it outside of feeding a primal and emotional desire for retribution.

And as western and northern Europe has show us, justice systems built around rehabilitation instead of retribution are the hallmarks of societies and countries with some of the lowest crime rates in the developed world. The death penalty certainly is not required as a 'deterrent'.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
11-08-2014, 05:06 AM

It's a pity someone doesn't take your worthless ass out of the mental ward and blow your tiny raisin size brains out.

Also, this is a friendly reminder that you're a worthless piece of shit who should have been aborted. Have a nice day.
11-08-2014, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 07:42 AM by Monster_Riffs.)
I'm English, I used to be pro death sentence for premeditated murder, rape and child sex offences. My thinking was along the lines of, whether a person is compelled or not, they still 'chose' to act upon an urge that they knew to be wrong. On some days, I still lean this way. How do we KNOW whether or not a child killer is rehabilitated? Yes, who has the right to kill someone, via the law or not? Equally though, who has the right to reintroduce someone back in to society to rape and kill children? This is still a mental stumbling block for me but generally, especially knowing some of the facts about other countries, the UK is not a country geared towards rehabilitation. Our prisons are overcrowded with people, a lot of whom started as petty criminals and escalated over the years. Whilst I refuse to take the responsibility away from individuals, it can't be denied our prison system is an epic failure and as evidenced by other countries, there are better working models.

So now my view is this, if we succeeded in rehabilitating more criminals and emptied our prisons, we keep keep Cat A prisoners in for life, negating the need for death penalties. There are so many things wrong with our legal system currently, I wouldn't know where to begin with an overhaul. The sensible thing to do I suppose, would be a comparative study between our own system and other countries with better statistics than ours and implement the findings.

The problem with the UK in general however, is that as a nation, from the education system onwards, we have been dumbed down over the last 30 years or so. Unfortunately the tabloid press does so well here because they appeal to the larger demographic. Thick cunts are the loudest voice here.

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
31-08-2014, 05:02 PM
I have recently changed my position on the death penalty.
I think the real issue is that we don't have a life sentence in our country. We should introduce that for serious crimes, focus on rehabilitation of prisoners for the more minor ones, and put them to good use in the process.
The general public is very naive on issues, and appeals to emotion are very effective on any populace.

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
06-09-2014, 07:10 AM
So much idiotic and crude generalization in this thread. I am British, and I HATE the death penalty. I am not even a liberal, I consider myself a Neo-Conservative if I were ever to place myself in a political category. In my opinion, the death penalty isn't just a quicker and easier tool for a society to say 'You know what? Screw his trial, we're going to issue a state killing and be done with it'......it basically insinuates a civilized version of mob-rule. I don't want my country going back in time, not down that road, thank you very much.

[Image: tumblr_mhlahyonF51qaozevo1_250.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user