Why do Christians believe x (My "Bible study")

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2015, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2015 09:43 PM by FlamingFish.)
Why do Christians believe x (My "Bible study")
So, I'm not going to do a Bible study here, but when I come to some fucking ridiculous claim, I'm going to post it. Give me your input Big Grin

Let's get started.
I don't really have a problem with some days of creation, because IF an all powerful God did exist, I suppose he COULD make things out of nothing. Genesis 1:6-8 and 1:14-18 read together says this: before the sky was created, the entire universe was WATER. When god created the sky, he simply split the water in two. So, according to this, the sky is blue because the universe is surrounded by water... Any thoughts?

Number two:
Man and women were created on the sixth day, but for some reason, after creation, God felt the need to back track and create the first man, and then rip his rib out to make woman.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2015, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2015 08:24 PM by jennybee.)
RE: Why do Christians believe x (My "Bible study")
(29-05-2015 07:51 PM)FlamingFish Wrote:  So, I'm not going to do a Bible study here, but when I come to some fucking ridiculous claim, I'm going to post it. Give me your input Big Grin

Let's get started.
I don't really have a problem with some days of creation, because IF an all powerful God did exist, I suppose he COULD make things out of nothing. Genesis 1:6-8 and 1:14-18 read together says this: before the sky was created, the entire universe was WATER. When god created the sky, he simply split the water in two. So, according to this, the sky is blue because the universe is surrounded by water... Any thoughts?

Hi,

The idea (in Genesis) of splitting something in two to create the earth/heavens comes from the Enuma Elish (Babylonian creation myth):

"After subduing the rest of her host, he took his club and split Tiamat's water-laden body in half like a clam shell. Half he put in the sky and made the heavens, and he posted guards there to make sure that Tiamat's salt waters could not escape. Across the heavens he made stations in the stars for the gods, and he made the moon and set it forth on its schedule across the heavens. From the other half of Tiamat's body he made the land, which he placed over Apsu's fresh waters, which now arise in wells and springs. From her eyes he made flow the Tigirs and Euphrates. Across this land he made the grains and herbs, the pastures and fields, the rains and the seeds, the cows and ewes, and the forests and the orchards."

This is how the earth was seen in biblical times: water is above and below the earth, the firmament keeps the water out of the world.

[Image: world3.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
29-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Don't forget that God made Adam and Eve at the same time from the same stuff and then backtracks a bit and forms Adam out of dirt and god breath and then God rips a rib out and forms Eve. You don't have to go very far to find ridiculous inconsistency.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
29-05-2015, 08:23 PM
(29-05-2015 08:06 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Don't forget that God made Adam and Eve at the same time from the same stuff and then backtracks a bit and forms Adam out of dirt and god breath and then God rips a rib out and forms Eve. You don't have to go very far to find ridiculous inconsistency.

Also, this super duper god was so awesome and super, he had to create people so that they can tell him how awesome and super he is... Facepalm
29-05-2015, 09:41 PM
(29-05-2015 08:06 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Don't forget that God made Adam and Eve at the same time from the same stuff and then backtracks a bit and forms Adam out of dirt and god breath and then God rips a rib out and forms Eve. You don't have to go very far to find ridiculous inconsistency.

Lol, will edit post to add. Dunno how I skipped over this Tongue
29-05-2015, 10:41 PM
(29-05-2015 09:41 PM)FlamingFish Wrote:  

Lol, will edit post to add. Dunno how I skipped over this Tongue

Yeah, that little excerpt when god made man and woman at the same time very well could be a reference to Jewish folklore. Adam's first wife was Lilith, not Eve. They were basically both equals except Lilith wanted to be on top most of the time. After an argument and wouldn't ya know it, she spoke the name of god or something and got whisked away and was cursed by god to have many miscarriages and such, something about demon spawn, it's an interesting story , you should look it up.
So eventually Adam wanted to have the dominate role over a women and thus Eve was created. Lilith was depicted in several ways, some times as a vampire like creature that would come in the night to spill the seed of men and also cause miscarriages to women as revenge. The Jews made amulets to ward her off and seem to take this story very seriously. Nowadays, I think it's viewed mostly as a myth and not biblical. It was Jewish folklore after all.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
30-05-2015, 01:13 AM
(29-05-2015 07:51 PM)FlamingFish Wrote:  So, I'm not going to do a Bible study here, but when I come to some fucking ridiculous claim, I'm going to post it. Give me your input Big Grin

Let's get started.

Number two:
Man and women were created on the sixth day, but for some reason, after creation, God felt the need to back track and create the first man, and then rip his rib out to make woman.

Uniwerse surrounded by water is idea stolen from Enuma Elish as Jennybee pointed. Nothing surprising here, one must get inspiration from somewhere, so why not inocporate someone else myths into their own.

As for man and woman it's just shitty editorial work, no one bothered to check things before book hit the shops Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.