Why do Christians let the Mormons off the hook when...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Why do Christians let the Mormons off the hook when...
they feel sorry for Jews because they don't believe in Christ as an Messiah and call Islam heretics because Islam believes Jesus is not god?

Yet the Mormons believe in multiple worlds and multiple gods?

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2011, 12:56 AM
RE: Why do Christians let the Mormons off the hook when...
(14-06-2011 11:45 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  they feel sorry for Jews because they don't believe in Christ as an Messiah and call Islam heretics because Islam believes Jesus is not god?

My older cousin married a Moron back in 1970. She had to convert to that faith, but recently they both left that faith. They won't talk to anyone about it, though NOONE talks faith to ME! The whole family nows what I am...Big Grin

Where I was raised ( north west Illinois) there were no Mormons around. ( The Methodists probably killed them all ) , so I know only as much as any "average joe" about them. I did once tell my cousin's husband that the "Plate Story" was the stupidest thing I ever heard. He hasn't spoken to me in 30 years. Tongue

They haven't made contact since they left the Mormons, so I guess they didn't become atheists. They would have put me on "Speed Dial" had that been the case!

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
Find all posts by this user
15-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Excellent story. I also think that all that stone, plates and reading the rocks is the "dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb" story. South Park has the best explanations for everything.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
15-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Because mormons hold Jesus sacred, so no matter how looney their whole philosophy is the christians feel backed by them in a way. Christians tend to focus their wrath on all those who do not accept Jesus as it is apparently the only cardinal sin worth mentioning.

Christianity a religion where you can find the strength to forgive even your rapist, as long as they share your religious views. But don't let that nice Muslim couple next door get a word in they're tainted by the devil 0_0

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
15-06-2011, 06:30 AM
(15-06-2011 01:03 AM)Filox Wrote:  Excellent story. I also think that all that stone, plates and reading the rocks is the "dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb" story. South Park has the best explanations for everything.

Smile

I just watched that! Very cure story, as all South Parks!

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-epi...ut-mormons

I never realized just HOW stupid their story really is. I just heard the part about the vanishing plates, not the seer stones and all. Still just a bunch of B.S.

American folklore at it's worst. Well... second worst, there's still scientology...Tongue

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
15-06-2011, 08:22 AM
A missionary duo came all the way from Utah to my front door in Scotland whilst in their early 20’s to tell me in breathless, excited voices about Mormon and the magic god glasses and how they used to hate black people, but don’t now.

I reduced one of them to tears (by accident) when I asked how Jesus got to America (boat? Teleport? Flying Carpet?) and given Jesus’s social impact in the Middle East, why wasn’t this reflected in the oral tradition of the native Americans…and they went away. I got two new Mormons a few months later…they were made of sterner stuff. Missionaries 2.0.

I felt really sorry for these poor brainwashed chaps (always men...not sure if the women do missionary stuff?), always in their cheap supermarket suits with name badges, thousands of miles from their warm, sunny home filled with other Mormons, coming to wet, cold Scotland, in their Mormon approved underwear (yeah, really) because they wanted to bring their “good news” to a largely religiously apathetic part of the world. A very tough sell for them.

I took them fishing and bowling and stuff, we’ve become good friends and they send me (ironic) Christmas cards. Some people say, “my gay friend” and so forth to demonstrate how cosmopolitan they are, Rhett says , “my atheist friend”…which makes him something of a radical mormon for even daring communicate lest he become infected.

I think it was Sam Harris that said as a community of free thinking people, we need to challenge the big issues that religion is causing. Mormons had no part in the Crusades, the Reformation or the bombing of the world trade centre. I don’t lie awake in fear of Mormon suicide bombers…Mormon beliefs are certainly ill-informed, stupid and irrational…arguably more so than Christianity - but they don’t kill their offspring like die-hard Muslims are known to do, or engage in serial paedophilia like Catholic priests have been known to do.

On Shannows scale of stupid, they rate quite low down, compared to the Papal stance on contraception in Africa, or the Talibans views of women…
15-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Have you ever heard of the Utah wars?

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
15-06-2011, 05:30 PM
(15-06-2011 09:13 AM)The Doctor Wrote:  Have you ever heard of the Utah wars?

So...surprisingly enough, a scuffle in Utah didn't feature largely on the curriculum in Northern Europe. Fear not, Wikipedia to the rescue...

Hopefuly it's this one

Apparently 156 killed between 1857 and 1858. Which is tragic, especially when the vast majority were civilians.

Just as a comparison, in South Africa alone, the Pope's stance on contraception kills about 25 people an hour.
15-06-2011, 06:29 PM
(14-06-2011 11:45 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  they feel sorry for Jews because they don't believe in Christ as an Messiah and call Islam heretics because Islam believes Jesus is not god?

Because (plenty of) Christians see all Muslims as evil fly-plane-into-buildings shiat. Christians hear the words Islam or Muslim and their first thought is "terrorist".

Is this what you're asking? The question confuses me a little. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
15-06-2011, 11:09 PM
(15-06-2011 06:29 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  

Because (plenty of) Christians see all Muslims as evil fly-plane-into-buildings shiat. Christians hear the words Islam or Muslim and their first thought is "terrorist".

Is this what you're asking? The question confuses me a little. Wink

Discrimination basically. I see more rage against Islam and Atheism than Mormons. Most Christians accept and are ok with Mormons in their community, lifestyles, and politics. Evangelicals will vote for an Mormon than an Atheist nor Muslim. Mormons are so outside the Christian beliefs and yet we Atheists and other demnomations are the worst thing in the planet.