Why do Christians make excuses for God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2015, 06:47 PM
Why do Christians make excuses for God?
In the bible it said "ask and you shall receive". Well I prayed to God the night of my mothers death. Did God reach down and heal her? No. He did nothing but let her suffer and die. She had a heart attack at age 59. My dad made an excuse that God wanted her home. There are no excuses for God in the bible. I believe that verse to be a lie and that is why I don't pray today. So why do Christians make excuses for God? I don't see any excuses in the bible. Is it because they're afraid that God may not be real?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2015, 06:55 PM
RE: Why do Christians make excuses for God?
People are taught in church not to question God and that He has a plan for us. Christians are taught that God is wise--wiser than any human--so we cannot understand his ways or why he does the things he does. But all is done according to his plan.

There are actually a lot of excuses for God in the Bible. God was filled with wrath. God did such and such out of love. God did such and such because of sin. God did such and such because people disobeyed his commandments. God does such and such because he was jealous. God did such and such to see how much someone feared or loved him.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
02-12-2015, 06:57 PM
(02-12-2015 06:47 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  So why do Christians make excuses for God? I don't see any excuses in the bible. Is it because they're afraid that God may not be real?

I think you are on to it, but I would rephrase it. They want to believe more than now the truth which is where they would be headed if they really started THINKING about god's response to their prayers
02-12-2015, 11:31 PM
I think it's because it's the way that people cope with certain things. Specifically talking about death, thinking that there is something that is more divine than any of us could imagine provides a certain comfort for people. Your mother died, someone who was very close and dear to you and your family, and it's probably less painful to believe that god has a plan for her and us all, than to think otherwise. This obviously is not a good way to look at things but so many people do, specifically with death. With other situations, I usually believe that they're trying to convince themselves of whatever they're saying because they fear god isn't real.
02-12-2015, 11:54 PM
(02-12-2015 06:47 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Well I prayed to God the night of my mothers death. Did God reach down and heal her? No. He did nothing but let her suffer and die.

Dude, there is no god.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-12-2015, 05:39 AM
(02-12-2015 11:54 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 06:47 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Well I prayed to God the night of my mothers death. Did God reach down and heal her? No. He did nothing but let her suffer and die.

Dude, there is no god.

And no heaven, hell, or an afterlife!

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
08-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Because they believe only god is good and everyone else is a sinner. They can't see it any other way.

08-12-2015, 06:08 PM
It's comforting to them, and they have to do it to make it all work in their minds.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
09-12-2015, 09:02 AM
(08-12-2015 06:08 PM)pablo Wrote:  It's comforting to them, and they have to do it to make it all work in their minds.

^This.

I believe instructions can be found in Chapter 12: The Lord Works in Mysterious Ways.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
09-12-2015, 09:27 AM
They make excuses for god because they are believe god is real and they are afraid of him. Given that the Christian god is a sadistic monster who is awfully easy to offend, this is a reasonable reaction. Not only is god vicious to believers themselves, he is also quite fond of killing/mutiliating/striking with illness the children and spouses of his faithful, in order to "test" them. Even to think god is not "good" could bring harm to believers and/or their loved ones--since god knows what people are thinking--so believers do their best to keep such thoughts from happening.