Why do Christians say they are persecuted when they are 74% of the US population

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2014, 02:34 AM
Why do Christians say they are persecuted when they are 74% of the US population
I don't understand
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2014, 02:51 AM
RE: Why do Christians say they are persecuted when they are 74% of the US population
Being an outcast gives the sensation of being fighting for a righteous cause against an evil world, it can provide a strong sense of belonging and the adrenaline rush helps to obfuscate the inconsistencies of the ideology.

It's similar to a riot mentality, the feeling of belonging and of selflessness can be intoxicating, that's why you see people throwing themselves at clearly stronger opponents (police or the military). And that's what's needed in religion if you want people to believe and keep believing on BS.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 4 users Like nach_in's post
08-03-2014, 02:53 AM
RE: Why do Christians say they are persecuted when they are 74% of the US population
Persecutory delusion.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
08-03-2014, 03:54 AM
Nach said it best but I'll add that there are some who cannot separate their beliefs from their ego

... which is why it is hard to change their beliefs.

This means that attacks on their beliefs 'feel' like personal attacks.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
08-03-2014, 07:33 AM
It's called revanchism. Also, drumming up the base saying they're under attack is a good way to get them all fired up.

This may also be influenced by the early Christians being persecuted, and they want to identify with them, or something. "Early Christians were thrown to the lions! We have it rough in America, too! Schools can't force kids to pray any more."
08-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Yeah and nazis were persecuted by jews.
08-03-2014, 08:40 AM
The idea of being persecuted is intrinsic and essential to the whole dog-and-pony show.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
08-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Because they are also bad at math....
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
08-03-2014, 09:04 AM
It seems to be a common thing. I think its to justify your right to complain... convinced yourself and those around you that you are persecuted or being shat on by The Man and you can freely moan and whine all you like.

We British are experts at this... We love nothing more than a good gripe. We never happier than when we're miserable as shit.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
08-03-2014, 09:54 AM
My many debates with Christians have shown me that the No true Scotsman fallacy has probably something to do in some cases.

Whenever I tell them that there are billions of Christians, I often get an answer along the lines of "these are the ones that claim to be Christians, but the true Christians are only a few".

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post