Why do Christians say they are persecuted when they are 74% of the US population

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2014, 10:01 AM
RE: Why do Christians say they are persecuted when they are 74% of the US population
Because the bible says so. It's how you know you're a Christian. The media is evil. The 'world' is evil. Education is evil. Progress is evil. They are all out to get you. They will lest you put on the armor of god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like freetoreason's post
08-03-2014, 11:19 AM
RE: Why do Christians say they are persecuted when they are 74% of the US population
(08-03-2014 02:34 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  I don't understand

Because it's a religion of victimhood. You're a victim of your sin nature, of the world, of satan. And they are continually told they are under attack and are in a spiritual war; so they believe it. They don't feel connected to their suffering savior unless they believe they are suffering for the faith. So in a country in which they are the majority and have significant sway over one of the two major parties, they have to make shit up - like the "war on christmas" or to call it persecution when they are told they can't lead a public gathering in a prayer to the christian god in jesus' name (though in the south this is a regular occurrence, so I have no idea what the fuck they are talking about).
[+] 2 users Like meremortal's post
08-03-2014, 11:26 AM
(08-03-2014 09:54 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  My many debates with Christians have shown me that the No true Scotsman fallacy has probably something to do in some cases.

Whenever I tell them that there are billions of Christians, I often get an answer along the lines of "these are the ones that claim to be Christians, but the true Christians are only a few".

This may have a lot to do with it. Most of the people I see complain about persecution are fundies, and they're notorious for No-True-Scottsmaning other Christians.
08-03-2014, 01:43 PM
(08-03-2014 11:19 AM)meremortal Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 02:34 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  I don't understand

Because it's a religion of victimhood. You're a victim of your sin nature, of the world, of satan. And they are continually told they are under attack and are in a spiritual war; so they believe it. They don't feel connected to their suffering savior unless they believe they are suffering for the faith. So in a country in which they are the majority and have significant sway over one of the two major parties, they have to make shit up - like the "war on christmas" or to call it persecution when they are told they can't lead a public gathering in a prayer to the christian god in jesus' name (though in the south this is a regular occurrence, so I have no idea what the fuck they are talking about).

It's a brainwashing technique. "We are being persecuted, so let us band together to save the day." Bam, you have a solid group of sheeples. "Us against them! Unite! Follow me! Follow orders! Give me your money! You will get your reward in Heaven!"

Every military force and football team, and most corporations use the same technique, albeit at different levels.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
08-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Coming from a recent Christian Fundamentalist background here.

There is a teaching that says that those who are true Christians WILL face persecution to some extent. Also that those who are not facing persecution to at least some degree (verbal or otherwise) are obviously compromising in either their beliefs or practice. Why? Because "the world" is innately hostile to the things of God.

Soooo, the question comes up,"Are you now or have you ever been persecuted for Christ? If not, why not?" Persecution is sometimes seen as one of the litmus tests of genuine faith (not a 100% test or anything, but as an indicator).

There is a cognitive dissonance [in the fundamentalist church] regarding persecution. On one hand, there are the cries of persecution on the rise in America, and the cries of persecution elsewhere, citing persecution as a negative thing. On the other hand.... it's almost expected of Christians to endure persecution as a positive thing; a test of true faith and extra treasures in Heaven.

There's a love/hate relationship between many Christians and persecution. When they're not decrying its presence, they're seeking it out. It's like they're saying,"I hate you; don't leave me."
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
08-03-2014, 02:13 PM
[Image: 02021.jpg]Nothing makes a Christian happier than finding something to new to be offended about each day. Some wake up each morning and probably even before praying search the internet for something stupid to get in a tizzy about. I just came across this post on one of my favorite, ridiculous , self-defacing sites called pointlessdiagrams.com

http://pointlessdiagrams.com/2014/03/08/...-pictures/

Normally a pointless diagram doodle is just posted each day but for the 'Sustainability Series' vintage Religious texts are doodled over. Some Christians were offended and wanted everyone to know. Good for them. If they want to believe that only their book is magic go pout in the corner, good stuff. I think it is about time people stop being scared of offending religious people and treat them as we would those who claim they can turn their urine into gold or read your palm.
08-03-2014, 02:18 PM
(08-03-2014 10:01 AM)freetoreason Wrote:  Because the bible says so. It's how you know you're a Christian. The media is evil. The 'world' is evil. Education is evil. Progress is evil. They are all out to get you. They will lest you put on the armor of god.

When you put it that way, Christianity seems a lot like Dark Souls...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2014, 02:33 PM

It is a tactic that both Muslims and Christians use today. It has been used a numerous amount of times to move people and can lead to violence. They pretend they are under attack and say they simply are trying to 'defend' their faith all the while pushing their faith on others and persecuting others with their religion.

Of course there are real instances of persecution but its usually religion doing so and often times to other religions. (Of course this does not even include people of different sexual orientation or women.)

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 2 users Like ShirubaDangan's post
09-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Although Christians make up 74% of the united states, many of them have hugely differing principles and doctrines. So 74% may very well be Christian but how many are, for example, creationists. When the majority are trying to get creationism out of schools then that small minority is going to feel oppressed. Its not the majority of Christians that feel the most persecuted but the more fundamental minority. Also not every christian identifies itself with the majority. The catholic church for example does not officially recognize the protestants as having actual churches. They are referred to as "ecclesiastical communities". So cut out that and you're left with only 30% and they being in a country historically known as being oppressive towards catholics. The Mormons probably have the same problem. That being distinct with a history of persecution.

Also there is also persecution coming from no one group in particular. That can be considered an attack by secularization. So even though premier McGuinty of Ontario was Catholic, very few Catholics would have given much support to him. So the legislation that he tried to pass that was against catholic teaching would have been considered an attack from the secularization movement.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
10-03-2014, 01:16 AM
An attack by secularisation, huh?

"Oh no, our society is progressing out of (our religion's) hands!"

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post